Thread: Brand New EM6910 noises a bit shocking

Brand New EM6910 noises a bit shocking

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi I have just purchased a Sunbeam EM6910 and have only made one coffee in it to be fair. But the noise on startup sound like an old morris minor with no oil in the gearbox, The shop said it was noisy at first but will settle down, is this really the case? It took a while for the water to come through first time too but finally arrived. I just wanted to make sure it was a normal thing and not needed to be returned, any advice or tips happily received about general running. Have the book, havent done the school course yet but I assume it is not much different from my 4800c just more buttons and things to go wrong. kidding...

Re: Brand New EM6910 noises a bit shocking

All the machines I have owned (with pump) have been noisy when pumping air instead of water.* As long as the noise dropped to normal levels when the water reached the pump, then I would say you have nothing to worry about.

That is normal RR1K, they sound like they are going to rattle themselves to bits while getting the water through* ;D.

First time out of the box this takes a while as well.

I think you will find it a major step up from your 4800C.

I have previously had both of those. The 6910 is heaps better.

Enjoy.

Chris

Ok thanks for the replies I wont jump to hasty conclusions then. I will give it a few weeks to settle down and see what happens. I was warned that it could be a tad noisy I was just surprised by the level of it. It is not as quiet as the old machine out of the box but it definitely makes a good cup of coffee, once I work out whether the grind should be finer or not than the 4800c etc. And any other tricks in store to keep it going well. thanks again

Yes these are amazingly noise when first run. I thought the machine was going to explode when I first cranked her over! A couple of days later it seems to have settled down. I think that I had trouble that water was not travelling through (even though it came out when I pressed the tank valve button. Ended up dumping the 3 litres and refilling with a litre after reinserting the water tank. Seemed to do the trick.

They dont call them the Sunbeam Jack-hammer for nothing. They are known to be very noisy.

However, they will be noisier when theyre pumping air.

In de-scaling today I accidentally ran dry (EM6900 but I believe same pump), switched it off within a couple of seconds of it happening, but then for the next litre or so it was much noisier than usual.

It will quiet down, but itll still be one of the noisier ones on the market.

I took mine to the restaurant to have a run.

Hooked it up, turned it on, n everyone from the kitchen ran out (keeping in mind they are half deaf from banging saucepans) to see what the commotion was about.
    So there i was grinning from ear to ear :) and kitchen staff looking like :o :o, then one of them said it reminded him of bad ass drag car idling with that tunk dunk tunk dunk racket.
    It made a better coffee than the San Marino (because i brought along my own beans, but i didnt tell them ;))

Its normal for it to be noisy like that.

Gary at G

ok thanks for the info, it is quieter now but still makes a racket compared to the old 4800c. Do you have any tips regarding general use. I am still trying to work out whether I prefer the single or double layer filter baskets, as the single doesnt make a lot of crema but the double seems like it is working very hard to squeeze out some coffee. Then there is the grind size issue and coffee freshness issue* and the changing parameters therein. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 465B47575B46515005040404340 link=1298874797/7#7 date=1300246943
    Do you have any tips regarding general use. I am still trying to work out whether I prefer the single or double layer filter baskets, as the single doesnt make a lot of crema but the double seems like it is working very hard to squeeze out some coffee. Then there is the grind size issue and coffee freshness issue and the changing parameters therein.
    The double layered baskets are for use with stale pre-ground coffee, to give the illusion of fresh coffee (fake crema).

If you arent getting enough crema it could be any one of a number of things.

How fresh is your coffee?

Hi Thundergod the coffee is probably a week old but is kept in a vaccum container and only a small amount at a time is put into the grinder, so it is ok i guess. Just made one today with the double layer and it was better than the single crema wise, so maybe it isnt as fresh as i suspected. Maybe I should just change baskets after a few days of storing it. Also getting use to a new machine and the grinder settings it prefers takes time and practice too, doesnt it?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4954485854495E5F0A0B0B0B3B0 link=1298874797/9#9 date=1300312296
    Hi Thundergod the coffee is probably a week old but is kept in a vaccum container and only a small amount at a time is put into the grinder, so it is ok* i guess. Just made one today with the double layer and it was better than the single crema wise, so maybe it isnt as fresh as i suspected. Maybe I should just change baskets after a few days of storing it. Also getting use to a new machine and the grinder settings* it prefers takes time and practice too, doesnt it?
    Where do you get you beans from ?

What Grinder as in how fine does teh coffee feel after grinding. Salt or pepper ?

Remember within 30 sec of grinding is good, 3 min after grinding many would say the grinds are past it and 30 min and older = Stale

Quote Originally Posted by 7964786864796E6F3A3B3B3B0B0 link=1298874797/9#9 date=1300312296
    the coffee is probably a week old but is kept in a vaccum container
    :o
    I dont like the sound of that.
    If you are actually pulling the air out (creating a vacuum) you are making the beans go stale quicker by speeding up their natural aging.

Hi guys I get the beans from a local roaster who has won several awards for them, if that makes a difference? I use an EM480 sunbeam grinder and it is sitting on about the 15 mark??? I didnt realise that a vaccum container was bad for coffee, what do you suggest as the best way to keep fresh beans for up to a week to 2 weeks. I bet you will say that is too long but that is the time i keep them for usually. I havent actually checked the consistency of the grinds to see how they compare to salt or pepper. As I use a grinder for both it is hard to pin that down. Anyway I only grind as I need it and make the coffee straight away. Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

My EM480 normally sits around 9 to 12 depending on what bean and what roasting method i use to achieve the 25 ml in 25 second shot.

Had a tricky time making coffees this morning.
    My coffee machine normally resides on the washing machine, and just so happens as soon as i pulled the shot and the machine went into spin cycle, so the whole racket was like a very busy saturday night in my restaurant kitchen.
    Washing machine quaking, EM6910 rumbling, had a great laugh. :D ;D

Gary at G

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7D676A6B796F777D7D0E0 link=1298874797/13#13 date=1300344202
    My coffee machine normally resides on the washing machine, and just so happens as soon as i pulled the shot and the machine went into spin cycle
    I thought that was the CS WA " Distribution Method".

Have ya done this with ya grinder* ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 7E6469687A6C747E7E0D0 link=1298874797/13#13 date=1300344202
    My coffee machine normally resides on the washing machine, and just so happens as soon as i pulled the shot and the machine went into spin cycle
    I just read this, read it again, and Im still confused. Surely there is a table somewhere you could set up in your house???? Get your priorities straight...I had a laugh.