Thread: Gaggia Classic no steam?

Gaggia Classic no steam?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys - as they say long time reader first time poster. Thanks to you all for your help in finessing my brews to this day!

My wife picked up a dirty gaggia classic at a garage sale for $20 the other week, I stripped it down following instructions on this board, adjusted the OPV, blew the solenoid, replaced the coil and got it going...
    Sent it off with my brother in law impressed with an $80 machine only to find...no steam.

Tomorrow when I get back from work I intend to take the top steam wand connection off the boiler and clean it out, check the flow, but any guidance on what I might be looking at?
    Clean boiler, new solenoid coil, flow fine from the showerhead, plenty of heat and pressure, but no steam...
    Im thinking valve/blockage somewhere after descaling it after so much neglect?

Re: Gaggia Classic no steam?

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone can shed some light here?
    All the fittings to the steam wand were clear.

The behaviour seems to be that once you prime the machine by running some water into the boiler from the pump, wait for a bit, the water inside the boiler mysteriously disappears?!

I suspect its flowing back into the reservoir through the OPV - certainly when I switch on the steam button quite a bit more water seems to flow from the OPV back into the reservoir to the point that the boiler must be empty and hence, no steam?

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Would it be a faulty OPV thats leaking or some other part?
    Any ideas?

is the 3 way valve ok ? any water or steam from overflow pipe? empty drip tray and check if water collecting there.

Found the problem and its all fixed!

When I was cleaning the OPV, I stripped it apart as there was gunk inside it. On re-assembly the actual valve component under the spring had flipped over inside the case so the spring fitting was pointing downwards, creating an imperfect seal and water/pressure was consistently leaking out of the boiler around it back into the reservoir.
    doh!