Thread: Sunbeam EM6910. Steam pump going but no steam? Just water!

Sunbeam EM6910. Steam pump going but no steam? Just water!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,
    Cant figure out why this is the case.

When I turn the steamer on, the steam pump makes its *dut...dut...dut...* sound like it should, but all that comes out the nozzle is water, in sync with each *dut*.

Ive read some topics to do with steam issues on my machine but havent come across my particular problem in my research yet.

Ive read about an Over Pressure Valve that can be adjusted or altered? Also heard a fair few steam pumps have failed, and blocked steam flow lines. But none with my particular issue.

Its been a long time (12mths) since I have descaled the machine, but this shouldnt affect it should it? I have just descaled and the same problem is still there.

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Sam.

P.S. I am willing to pull it apart and do some adjustments as it is out of warranty. ::)

A_M

Re: Sunbeam EM6910. Steam pump going but no steam? Just water!

What is your location ?

How hot is the water that comes out ?

What happened* just prior to this issue ?

How is the Hot water side and the Group head ?

What is your location ?
    Moorooka, Brisbane.

How hot is the water that comes out ?
    Lukewarm at best.Room temp really

What happened just prior to this issue ?
    Didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, it just stopped working

How is the Hot water side and the Group head ?
    The hot water side and group head are giving out good very hot water as per normal. Although (may be unrelated, but when I turn on my hot water nozzle, water also comes out the group head at the same rate.

Theyre really good questions! Any guesses or know what the problem is? :)

A_M

1: Sounds like the Heater or teh Sensor has failed on teh Steam Thermoblock.

2: The Spring and small valve in the group head has become stuck and will give you the symptom of Water from teh group when you select Hotwater from the wand.

Without pulling down and checking Thermostats / Thermal Fuse / Heating Element or Power Driver on teh Control board... The steam issue may well be beyond the powers of a few posts etc.

AM

Thanks for your diagnosis AM. Ill try and so a search to find ways of checking all of those things one by one. Which would you say is most likely to just STOP working like that?

I have the Sunbeam manual that can be download from here. Also, do you help repair machines? :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 71636F6663717770646B6C6F636C020 link=1299137488/4#4 date=1299140545
    Thanks for your diagnosis AM. Ill try and so a search to find ways of checking all of those things one by one. Which would you say is most likely to just STOP working like that?

I have the Sunbeam manual that can be download from here. Also, do you help repair machines? :)
    I have been known to assist to some degree and in other cases, I have to pick up teh slack and do all.

It is as a hobby and as I have a few in bits... Parts if needed may be at hand. All be it, that they are USED.

I use a method referred to as Binary division and we have so far determined Steam side Only with a minor issue re a Non return valve in teh group head.

A simple test or two will confirm if the heating issue is in teh Block OR the control and Wiring... And thus the split and divide continues until the faulty part / process is found and dealt with.

See teh CS Social pages, as a few of us are meeting on this Sunday at Herston..

Performing openheart surgery on a 6910 on a Sunday - what a good fella you are AM. ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 35342323383D3429510 link=1299137488/6#6 date=1299238544
    Performing openheart surgery on a 6910 on a Sunday - what a good fella you are AM. ;D
    No response so who knows ??

Just place them on the Backlog and that will help the numbers.

Thanks guys,
    Sounds great! Unfortunately wont be able to make the meet though due to other stuff happening Sunday.*>:( Have fun tho!* I hope to attend another one in future when I have a bit more time to plan it in. I will try and work it out as best I can otherwise. Cheers AM.

I know its probably too difficult to describe how to check each of those things. Even if I do have the service manual and a multimeter, but if you think you can explain it thatd be really cool AM!

Any other input is much appreciated also from people who may have suffered this problem and found out what it was.* :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2B39353C392B2D2A3E3136353936580 link=1299137488/8#8 date=1299304838
    Even if I do have the service manual and a multimeter
    You have a service manual...* Knew there was a parts and a training manual but a Real service manual ? Please SHARE as I have never seen one...

As I said split and win* ;)

The issues that confuses me is that if the board thinks it is cold and not up to temp it will not let you run.

1: Disconnect and De Energise and then put the plug in a towel and wrap with tape.

Thus my first guess is that the Feedback temp thermister is playing up at room temp about 87K

All measurements to be done with the item in question out of cct.

Easy to check the element as it should only be a few Ohm

Then there is the thermal fuse = Short

Then there is a temp thermostat* button on the side of the Steam block=* 0 ohm or Short

If that all checks out then something funny on the board and NO the service agents will not sell to UN Licensed* Electrical people. Ageist the LAW as they can not prove that you might have told a porky.

The bigwarehouse may not be so caring as to sell is one thing... It is the fitting that will see you breach any number of Acts in Qld and any other state.

Ok. Thanks for that help. I will put aside some time next weekend to have a look at those things in particular. Ill let you know how I go. Dont be surprised if I PM you on a couple of things as I go through the checking process.

EM6910 Service Manual: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/attachments/EM6910_Service_Manual.pdf

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 60727E7772606661757A7D7E727D130 link=1299137488/10#10 date=1299312126
    Ok. Thanks for that help. I will put aside some time next weekend to have a look at those things in particular. Ill let you know how I go. Dont be surprised if I PM you on a couple of things as I go through the checking process.

EM6910 Service Manual:
    Oh that ... OK, that is a parts listing and Electrical schematic.

Page 19 then the 4 steam components are what you need to be measuring... After that it is the Board and min replacement parts on that baby.

Thanks AM. Will let you know how I go. Have a good time tomorrow! ;)