Thread: New Gaggia Classic user

New Gaggia Classic user

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Ive recently bought a used Classic and have a few questions regarding performance, etc

Since picking up the machine Ive noticed my PF dosnt have spouts like some of the others (it just has two holes) Ive seen and was wondering if it should and how this might effect the shots Im making?

I see people advertising bottomless PFs for this machine and would like to know why i should get one or convert mine?
    Also does the bottomless use the standard basket?

Lastly Im using a Sunbeam 480 grinder(i think) and even with it on the finest setting and tamping as hard as i dare the shots arnt taking 20-30 secs with the double basket, however the shots taste good but lack crema.
    With my old Breville a grind this fine stalled the pump.
    The grinds look like sugar crystal size i guess, is this fine enough?
    How is the crema from this machine in general?

So far Im reasonably happy with my purchase but feel there is room for improvement, Ive ordered a new 58mm tamper to get the ball rolling, i find the supplied plastic one useless in my big hands.

Hope someone can help.

Rob.

Re: New Gaggia Classic user

Now Im a happy camper:)

Just got done doing the pressure adjustment mod and all i can say is WOW what a difference.
    I havnt changed anything from previous and its like a have a different machine now.

Big thanks to all that posted the relevent info and diagrams ;)

My PF just has the two holes, doesnt affect shots.
    A naked PF just lets you watch the extraction and determine if you have good distribution and if any channelling is happening. If you are already doing everything right, it will not improve your shots, but most of us can learn and improve with good diagnostic tools.

I think your grind should be finer, but it is always hard just going from a description.
    You could nip in to a friendly cafe and get them to show you how fine they grind, just so you have something to compare to.
    I find feeling the grinds between finger and thumb is easier than going by sight alone, but thats just me.
    Of course if/when you change grind, you may need a lighter tamp.

Quote Originally Posted by 11293A3A29171E2924242D31170F3D31480 link=1300583036/0#0 date=1300583036
    Looks to me like you might need a shim.

Quote Originally Posted by 424A444C4E545448444C270 link=1300583036/2#2 date=1300599970
    My PF just has the two holes, doesnt affect shots.
    A naked PF just lets you watch the extraction and determine if you have good distribution and if any channelling is happening. If you are already doing everything right, it will not improve your shots, but most of us can learn and improve with good diagnostic tools.

I think your grind should be finer, but it is always hard just going from a description.
    You could nip in to a friendly cafe and get them to show you how fine they grind, just so you have something to compare to.
    I find feeling the grinds between finger and thumb is easier than going by sight alone, but thats just me.
    Of course if/when you change grind, you may need a lighter tamp.

Thanks for the info, you were right the grind did need to be finer,so i took your advice and went to a local cafe and took* a pinch of theirs to compare with mine.
    Mine felt twice as coarse.Hmm,so i spent an hour modifying my grinder, what i found was that there are two 10 thou shims under the cone, so i added another 8 thou to the existing 10 to lift the cone higher. I just made them out of paper for testing purposes.
    The grind now on the finest setting is probably to fine as the shot tastes over extracted and bitter.
    Im still playing around with the grind and tamp but Itll have to wait till tomorrow now as Ive lost count to how many shots Ive had today...I had a laugh
    Looks like on the right track atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by 734F5249434255404843270 link=1300583036/3#3 date=1300602640
    Quote Originally Posted by 11293A3A29171E2924242D31170F3D31480 link=1300583036/0#0 date=1300583036
    Looks to me like you might need a shim.
    Yep thats spot on i did, amazing what a couple of pieces of reflex can do for a grinder ;D

Just wish i had looked at it sooner as it may have improved the shots out of the old Breville that died earlier this week.

Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 132B38382B151C2B26262F33150D3F334A0 link=1300583036/4#4 date=1300613162
    Yep thats spot on i did, amazing what a couple of pieces of reflex can do for a grinder Grin
    Rob, you could ring up Sunbeam and they actually would send you some spacers.