Thread: Brasilia Club steaming advice

Brasilia Club steaming advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Have got one handed on from my FIL. Have used it before, some time back. On the via Venezia Ive been using, the steam button toggled on/off. I used to cheat it by commencing steaming just before the thermo clicked out. That way I could steam a larger jug without it cycling in and out.
    The Club is closer to a commercial-grade machine, as it has a heavy brass group etc...
    My question is...there is a steam-iconed button, but you have to hold it in; doesnt stay in. Does this mean it MUST be held in? Or is it a kind of booster button, and I will be able to steam anyway without holding it in?
    Seems the latter, at this stage. Have a feeling that turning the steam knob will activate increased steam pressure, by itself.
    Someone here may have used one, or have one. Certainly getting a better cup than the via Venezia; though Ive just ordered new burrs for my grinder, as the Club has revealed they must be worn, as I now need a finer grind.
    Thanks.

Re: Brasilia Club steaming advice

i had a Brasilia lady and they look very much the same.

on the lady you woudl press it and i assume ti came up to "steam temp" and the button would stay lit up for around 20 seconds them go out. I woudl then start to steam the milk and press it again (while steaming) and it would "heat up" again (turn on the element).

the lady had some sort of electronic timer on that button that kept the element on for X period nto sure if the Club has the same.

I have the manual if yo want it PM me your email address and i will send it

here is a snip from the manual.

Delivery of hot water and steam
    To deliver hot water from the spout (n°12 fig.1), open the tap (n° 11) and press the hot water delivery push-button (n°3). When the required
    amount of hot water has been obtained, release the push-button and shut the tap.

To deliver steam from the relative spout (n° 12), open the tap (n°11). Leave the tap open until steam starts to emerge (hot water will come out
    at first). Shut the tap and press the steam delivery push-button (n°4) for 15 seconds to increase the temperature in the boiler. Immerse the spout
    in the liquid to be heated or emulsified. Open the tap and, keeping the push-button (n°4) pressed, run off the required amount of steam. There is
    enough steam available for preparing 2 cappuccinos.
    If the machine is fitted with the “Turbo-steam” device, there is more steam available.
    When the steam is no longer required, shut the tap (n°11) and press the push-button (n° 3). This will start loading the boiler until the pump cuts
    out.
    For making cappuccino, fresh milk must be “frothed” to give a foam which will be poured over the
    espresso coffee.

To frothen the milk, first open the steam tap (n. 11) and let it switched on until steam comes out (hot
    water will come out at first). Close the tap and keep steam button (n.4) for 15 seconds pressed, so
    to increase the boiler temperature.
    Use a jug containing at least three inches of milk. Approach the jug to the steam pipe and immerse
    the pipe in the milk, as shown in the picture: pay attention to keep the jug inclined (the pipe should not
    be in the centre or touch the jug). Open steam tap again and move the jug in a circular fashion until
    the milk starts to froth: control that the steam pipe is always immersed. When the milk has been
    frothed, quickly close the steam tap. Remove the jug from the pipe and pour the frothed milk over the
    espresso coffee.( There is enough steam available for preparing 2 cappuccinos).
    Clean the milk from the pipe as soon as possible to prevent it from drying and becoming difficult to
    remove.
    N.B.: the steam pipe is very hot and should not be touched until it has cooled.
    Inform the customer as soon as possible that the drink is very hot. Keep extra frothed milk for the
    next cappuccino.

love the translations :)

Thanks maheel, have PMd you. Appreciated.

The Club has the feel of a $500~$1000 machine, though it may not have been. Certainly puts out a more commercial looking shot, with less effort, than the Venizia. But new burrs in grinder will reveal all, am sure.* It was an adequate enough machine, the main irrit with it has been slow pass drip around the group. Not fatal, just annoying. Possibly needs a seal/O-ring service, (its my 2nd one), but I just dont want to throw any money at it.
    Thanks...* *8-)

manual sent

the lady i had made a good coffee :) built like a silvia and would be priced about the same imo

a step up from a VV i think

Yep, got it, thanks. 8-) Marketing is weird. The Lady just looks like a Club, but with the buttons/knobs in different positions, and a different casting for the body. Trying to appeal to women buyers? Who knows how the mind of a product marketer works. :-?
    My questions pretty much answered though. I dont imagine the setup would be different under the bonnet. ;D

Just tacking this on here, as it probably doesnt warrant a thread. Havent really used a machine with commercial-style brass group, and obviously better temp/pressure/stability than what Im used to.
    First thing I notice is that a finer grind seems required. Thats OK, am looking after that. Am getting reasonable espress times, and correct volumes in the correct time frame. But crema a bit lacking, and taste a bit bland. Am used to tamping heavily at coarser grind, for the Via Venizia; but I doubt this is the answer here.
    Is it a possibility I need to reduce tamping/packing pressure?
    Shall experiment with coarsening the grind slightly, as well.

Using BUN beans, ground just before using. Brought to room temp., though kept in fridge once opened. I cannot access freshly-roasted beans regularly from where I am, and Ive found BUN to be the best in a while, after a LOT of looking around.

Its just occurred to me I may not be able to mention bean brands... shall consult the rules again.

Frailer, you would be better off to store your beans out of the fridge and in the pantry. I believe the condensation from the fridge will wash away a lot of the coffee oils - ergo less crema.

If beans are fresh, less crema may also be caused from low brew pressure or water temperature.

Yep, Ive heard pro-fridge and no-fridge opinions over the years, but Im open minded on it. Always assumed that the oils would become less volatile with temp drop, and would adhere to the bean. Then at room temp., would be be still largely intact. Could be wrong in that assumption, of course.
    My main concern with pantry storage is the oils going rancid in the higher temperature, over time.
    The obvious answer is to get freshly roasted beans daily. I dont live in a cosmopolitan-enough area for that.* *;D
    Ill give the pantry thing a go though. Once the valve-pack is opened, Id go through a kilo in about 7~10 days.

Am now getting a very good pull out of this cast beastie. I think it just needed a few turns around the block. Sunbeam grind issues also look like being resolved, so...* *8-)

The steam thing?... certainly benefits from a start-up squirt into a spare cup/jug, then a hold-in of the steam button for 15~20 secs... then been pretty much holding it down while steaming, (its not a toggle, just spring-loaded~~ I guess to prevent users leaving it on inadvertently).

Nice Brasilia Club

Cool I have the same machine. I'm currently doing a boiler clean up.

hi

...i use a "Brasilia Club" and the steam icon button requires to be held in for steam production. Generally about 20 seconds is all it takes to get good steam production. The important point with the "club" is after extraction or the use of the steam wand use the hot water iconed button until a good jet of water is emitted from the steam wand. This ensures the boiler is refilled and the element is protected for further use.

Ross