Thread: Do Sunbeams just wear out?

ady

Do Sunbeams just wear out?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am after some suggestions regarding machines and grinders.

My Sunbeam EM6910 is wearing out I think (4years and two pours a day). The water leaks around the PF.... the seal is new and I think the thread that receives the group handle on the machine is worn down when I look up under the machine and now the cause of the problem. The handle rotates all the way to the right. Ive read a lot a about Krups replacement pfs. I think it is over as far as I can tell in terms of propping the machine up for another year or so??? Unless you can give some suggestions.

Do these machines just die at 5 years?

The grinder is a sunbeam EM0480 also four years old. Do I need a new one.... seams OK.*

Was thinking about Isomac Millenium. Am feeling like an upgrade but have been happy with ease of use and value in sunbeam to date.

[img][/img]

Re: Do Sunbeams just wear out?

You can replace the worn collar if everything else is working OK.

Search this site and youll find plenty of posts about it.

In the meantime you could make a cardboard spacer to place above the gasket to give you a little more time until you get the collar done.

The 0480 is the minimum standard grinder as far as most around here are concerned.
    Why are you asking about replacing it if you say its OK?

ady

thankyou... any advice about next upgrade if I go that way?

Depends on budget.

The Sunbeams should have given you a reasonable understanding of the basics.

A better quality grinder would be the first step followed by a better machine if you cant get both at once.

If you can, do a lot of research, including hands on demos, so that you can possibly make your upgrade your last purchase for a very, very long time.

A lot of people continually upgrade in small increments and in my opinion they waste a lot of money that way.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2B2E334A0 link=1301185523/0#0 date=1301185523
    Do these machines just die at 5 years?
    No, but like all machine there is some care and* maintenance that is needed.

When did you last remove and clean all the shower screens and do a chemical backflush ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2B2E334A0 link=1301185523/0#0 date=1301185523
    The handle rotates all the way to the right. Ive read a lot a about Krups replacement pfs.
    The krups baskets have NO involvement with an EM6910 !!!

The reason for you locking-in position is that the collar has worn and but the drip stains, one has to assume your Overdosing and who knows what else...

What is you Location ?

What beans do you use ?

If you go to upgrade and you like the SM6910 features and have been spoilt with 4 years of use and habit.

Your going to be looking at about $1.8K to start at a basic Volumetric HX* and will need to set aside another $0.5K plus for a grinder.

A bit of* TLC and respect with a new Collar and $150 plus may well see you running for another 2 years plus...

Sounds like you have well and truly go your $ worth any way, even at this stage....

ady

I cleaned the shower thing recently (weeks). Sydney location. Campos superior usually. Yes I think I overdose the basket because I get the screw imprinted on the spent tablet.

I kind of need to though or I get more over spill around the pf with this current problem.

I do feel like the Sunbeam SM69010 gives a lot except the longevity seems to be the draw back.

I would be inclined to upgrade definitively at about 2K or 2.5K.

I had some of the problems that you are having with your machine...

You can purchase new "blue" group head seals... I did this and it worked for a while... till I needed another one... Then I got a specific gasket for the sunbeams from ebay... it worked really well till the electronics in the machine started to die... First some buttons stopped working and now it does not even turn on... I am in the same situation looking to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by 3A3F225B0 link=1301185524/0#0 date=1301185523
    Was thinking about Isomac Millenium. Am feeling like an upgrade but have been happy with ease of use and value in sunbeam to date.
    I have an Isomac HX machine, and while it makes excellent coffee, it would be worth your while considering your alternatives as there are plenty of good machines in the price range youre after. Depending on which machine you buy you might need to learn the joys of the HX cooling flush. Its not a problem for me - cooling flush water is used to preheat the cups. some machines are designed better for home use and dont require cooling flushes. A visit to a sponsor should be enough to cover all that though...

I had a Sunbeam that died and like AM has already mentioned, its death was probably premature due to me overdosing it most of the time. I find the HX machine much nicer to use than the EM6910 mainly because of the hugely improved steam performance you get - perfect easy microfoam in less than half the time it takes on the SB.
    your grinder is ok, but a better grinder can make the whole experience more enjoyable (I found the sunbeam messy and harder to get a consistent dose).

A_M

I have been up and down as to getting a replacement that looked good and could do what the Em6910 does.

See ya sponsors, but I must admit that the one I miss the most was the* Diadema Junior Electronica* :(

I can not recommend this machine highly enough and dont forget support.... CosmoreX Coffee (A.) is the importer and a regular poster and other sponsors have this machine in stock.

After that I progressed to the DCM* (See the For sale section) as again size and volumetric were part of the requirements.

Do not ask me which is better as they both have their Pros and Cons.

My family got to like the volumetric and I just used the buttons like a manual so all were happy.

For many reasons I have changed to a non volumetric and my family are still not impressed.

Note: If you abuse and do not do user maintenance these machines will also have issues after time, as will any machine.

PS. You will need better that an EM0480 to get the best from these higher end machines. Yes the EM0480 will get you a cup but a better grinder is a Must.