Thread: Please help me decide

Please help me decide

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    This is my first blog and I would appreciate some help in deciding what type of machine to buy. Iím a pensioner with a very limited budget, but with the help of my daughter, I can spend between $600. And $700. After researching, I have a problem deciding between the lever type machine like the Europiccola Lapavoni and the electric pump machines like the Rancilio Miss Silvia V3, or the Lelit PL041E. After my pechase, I discovered I will need a good grinder - have to save again!
    Thank you in anticipation. :-/

Re: Please help me decide

I think you should have a look at the Lelit PL042* (it has the grinder built in) and does a stand up job. Heats up really fast too!

brett230873

Snap! Lukewarm wins the great minds think alike competition!

Quote Originally Posted by 76707D61170 link=1301218066/0#0 date=1301218065
    Hi all,
    This is my first blog and I would appreciate some help in deciding what type of machine to buy. Iím a pensioner with a very limited budget, but with the help of my daughter, I can spend between $600. And $700. After researching, I have a problem deciding between the lever type machine like the Europiccola Lapavoni and the electric pump machines like the Rancilio Miss Silvia V3, or the Lelit PL041E. After my pechase, I discovered I will need a good grinder - have to save again!
    Thank you in anticipation. :-/
    Why not save a couple of extra dollars and then approach a sponsor and get a great Italian solution to your quest for great coffee. Good luck:

http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-lelit-combi.php

http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/p/lelit-combi-pl042e/

I too am on this exact mission, and new here also. Hi to all members, I decided to add on this thread rather than begin a new one...

I am tossing up between the Lelit Combi (do I need the pressure guage model?) or the Ranchilio Silvia with a Rocky grinder (or similar grinder? - K3?). I could if needed extend my budget to suit the Ranchilio combo - but do I really need to? I have a fair knowledge of taste of a good coffee, and I have figured out that between myself and the missus we spend over $2500 a year on takeway coffee!!

At most would put thru about 4 flat whites a day on it, but I am also starting to enjoy espressos more, so will venture more that way also over time!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know where near the Gold Coast I can purchase either machine from, and am able to get some advice and tips on running of the machine also?

cheers heaps. :D

TC

Hi chill and uptack,

Another good option for a similar spend would be a Lelit PL041 and a Breville Smart grinder. The bonus is if one side goes down for any reason, you still have coffee.

We ship to QLD all the time.

Chris

I have just replaced my old machine with a Silvia V3, I use the sunbeam cafe series grinder ($150) and have never had an issue with it. It took me about 750g of beans to get the correct grind, although I started low after hearing the Rancilio needs a very fine grind, plus I like to do the same grind with different tamper pressure several times. I got the machine for $699, the grinder is about 3 years old and has done countless kilos of grinding, not one issue with it yet.

Moral to the story, you dont NEED an expensive grinder, its more a luxury than a necessity.
    As for the machine, had it 4 days, made about 20 real coffees (non grind testing) and have to say its a joy so far.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 46737E794D517D74747777120 link=1301218066/4#4 date=1301262959
    Hi chill and uptack,

Another good option for a similar spend would be a Lelit PL041 and a Breville Smart grinder. The bonus is if one side goes down for any reason, you still have coffee.

We ship to QLD all the time.

Chris
    Thanks for that info Chris.
    Looking at the specs on the Smartgrind, and being a noob... does the 57mm basket on the Lelit fit OK in the 58mm cradle on the grinder?

Also, would u think this is a much better option that the combi?

PS: Chris could you PM me a price delivered to Burleigh Heads Q for the Lelit and Brevile and also for a Lelit Combi (I think I would go the pressure guage model in both instances... cheers)

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 454E4F4A4A4F454752574A42260 link=1301218066/3#3 date=1301262244
    Also does anyone know where near the Gold Coast I can purchase either machine from, and am able to get some advice and tips on running of the machine also?
    Hi Chillicatqld,

Neli Coffee sell our Lelits. Theyre in clontarf so a bit North of you but they have a great reputation for their after sales service.

Let us know if you need any more info,

charlie

Hi all,
    Thanks for your thoughts and advice-much appreciated. I will check-out the links and do more research. Has anyone had any experience with the lever machines?

Thanks again and many cheers.* :)

I ave thrown another item in the "maybe" basket in that it maybe easier in the longrun for a newbie?

I can get the sunbeam 6910 & free em0480 grinder for $599.

Whats peoples thoughts on this combo?

I just think I maybe able to master the Lelit or Silvia but I have doubts on the patience of my other half!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5A51505555505A584D48555D390 link=1301218066/9#9 date=1301291067
    I ave thrown another item in the "maybe" basket in that it maybe easier in the longrun for a newbie?

I can get the sunbeam 6910 & free em0480 grinder for $599.

Whats peoples thoughts on this combo?

I just think I maybe able to master the Lelit or Silvia but I have doubts on the patience of my other half!
    Some will say yes and Some will disagree with a passion..

There has been lots posted as to the ease of use etc Vs longitivity Vs bling Vs every thing else.* *Ease of use etc = Sunbeam EM6910.

I had* a LeLit here that I bought for a mate and have to admit that while it made a good coffee, the methodology and having to watch out so as not to run the Boiler dry and trying to do 3 or 4 cups in a row. Was less than ideal.* *

If my wife was in the decision process, it would not have lasted an initial inspection.* He is solo and looking for ONE cup at a time and if he gets lucky, maybe a second* ;D* *With the built in grinder etc suits him to a T.

PS.

Go and get ya hands dirty, it is the only way to make a real call.* Every thing else is someone elses.* *You need to own it and that way you will be more inclined to forgive and to work on solving any issue.

OR

Wait until the new Breville is released* ;) - Sponsors maybe, rather than just the white goods suppliers (Then again, who knows what it will be like).

The combi is a great machine and has a small bench footprint. Having separate machines (espresso + grinder) carries the benefit of being able to upgrade one or the other in the future. ie. Keep the grinder and upgrade the espresso machine > as most $1000 + machines dont have combi options.

thanks AM and Lukewarm for your replies and advice.

When do you think/assume that a new Sunbeam maybe released? I was thinking that also as the 6910 has been around for 4 or 5 years hasnt it? and all places seem to have a sale on them!!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 262D2C29292C262431342921450 link=1301218066/12#12 date=1301296736
    thanks AM and Lukewarm for your replies and advice.

When do you think/assume that a new Sunbeam maybe released? I was thinking that also as the 6910 has been around for 4 or 5 years hasnt it? and all places seem to have a sale on them!!
    Who knows...

They could have something in the pipe line OR they may be waiting for Breville* ;)

I will wait and see; as I have seen so many talk the talk and even in the place I currently work R&D, do so much but often totally forget what many assume would be standard - Then there are the fancy use of words and miss direction. Regardless of Marketing and Sponsors (No Offence implied) involvement;* until I see and use one in the flesh...* It is all Dream-ware AND Smoke and Mirrors.

Keep hearing about World Champ Baristas and many others being involved in R&D but many often forget that the masses are less than understanding as to coffee and coffee equipment.

It is only once the plebs get involved and give an item 6 to 12 months of use that one will find teh bugs (enhancements) that R&D forgot about. Shims in grinders for example. Breville seem to have responded quicker than Sunbeam - but both suffered teh same issue.

It comes back to what YOU Need VS Want.

So go and do some real research and get ya hands dirty and then at some stage get SWMBO involved and then fight over the tiny bits...

The journey has only just started :-)*

Then comes better grinders, then Tamps, then Roaster and then growing coffee trees* :o :o :o :o

Well after a fair bit of reading and trying to decide what would suit us best I went out and bought the EM6910 and bonus EM0480 today for the princley sum of $599!! Damn good price I reckon??

What can I say other than I am very happy so far... Went straight to Quest Coffee Roasters in Burleigh and got myself 200grms of their "house blend" - 6 days old and straight into the grinder at home.

First flat white was an absolute fluke I think and was straight into the "good zone" on the dial and the milk turned out great for a first go.. although a little cool for my liking.

This is seriously a great bit of gear and would highly recommend to anyone in the beginners league - although I am sure this will last me many years of mastering my coffee skills.

I read many a "negative" view on this regarding the noise (OK it does make a lil bit - but its sweet), the steam and the tamper - but I have to say at this level and price it is perfect!

Thanks to all who helped with my questions, and I am sure I will have many more queries over the next few (or lots) of bags of beans...

I am off now to get myself a thermometer and some nice flat white cups.

cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by 606B6A6F6F6A606277726F67030 link=1301218066/14#14 date=1301438728
    Well after a fair bit of reading and trying to decide what would suit us best I went out and bought the EM6910 and bonus EM0480 today for the princley sum of $599!! Damn good price I reckon??
    congrats on the purchase.* as a previous owner of that combo for several years, I can assure you that you can look forward to excellent coffee.* good price too.

Quote Originally Posted by 606B6A6F6F6A606277726F67030 link=1301218066/14#14 date=1301438728
    I am off now to get myself a thermometer and some nice flat white cups.
    not sure how youll go getting a flat cup to hold coffee.... ;D sorry

Haha Cooper - I was asking for that one wasnt I?
    Forgot the " "

Well I just got the thermometer and I am typing this enjoying one of the best lattes I have had in a LONG time... even if I say so myself!

My bother in law was just over and I brewed him one... he reckons he is bringing his $4 over here from now on!!

Forgot to mention also. I was all set to do the "graeme" mod and take out the plastic thing at bottom of the group head - but this one did not come with it!! So that was a bonus.

I seriously gotta stop drinking coffee today... on my 3rd one already!