Thread: Suggestions - new espresso machine or grinder?

Nav

Suggestions - new espresso machine or grinder?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

At the moment, I have a pretty old Breville Cafe Roma ESP8b. The machine is about 5 years old now and has been working well for what it is (a very basic unit). I have been buying ground coffees from a local cafe (ground when I buy them) but they do sit in the cupboard for a few weeks before I manage to finish them all so do lose quite a bit of flavor.

I am a pretty heavy coffee drinker (drinking up to 4-5 flat whites a day). I have about ~$700 I can spend now, and was thinking of whether I should buy a new machine to replace my ESP8b and buy a manual grinder, or buy a BCG800 now and just wait a few more months till I put aside some more money for a espresso machine (or vice versa).

What would make more of a difference? Freshly ground beans or a new machine?

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: open to suggestions on grinders as well if anyone has any other recommendations.

Nav

Re: Suggestions - new espresso machine or grinder?

Freshly ground beans would make WAY more difference than any machine would.

Buying a new coffee machine in your situation would be like buying a new toaster to make better toast with stale bread.

Nav

Thanks Richard, I was thinking more along the lines of whether I should settle on a $700 grinder + machine combo (i.e. buy something like the em6910 and the cheapest grinder i could find), or if i should go for a bcg800 (or similar) grinder and wait a few months to buy something like the rancilio sylvia.

Edit: Just to clarify, if i do go for a em6910, I am thinking of going for a <$100 grinder, if I go for a grinder now, I am planning on finding something suitable for a sylvia/em6910 at the minimum (probably will purchase a new machine in 4-5 months).

brett230873

The lelit combi would fit your situation beautifully. Failing that, forget a new machine and look at a suitable/great grinder. The Brevile BFG800 is getting lots of sponsor driven positive press and its not in their best interests to be wrong so it is possibly a great start. In short, get the best grinder you can afford. The $600+ should SHOULD last 10, even 20 years (my first Lux is still going strong and is 10+) so it is money that needs to be well spent.

Grinder, grinder, grinder..... spend all you have now on a grinder. Then save and purchase a machine later, if your current machine is still doing its job..

Quote Originally Posted by 67787A60796C7B7A6D150 link=1301221125/1#1 date=1301221590
    Buying a new coffee machine in your situation would be like buying a new toaster to make better toast with stale bread.
    Around $700 will get you a great brand new grinder from one of the sponsors Im sure or a fantatsic second hand grinder that will last you years (just looked at the bay of evil as I type this and there are some bargains* :o )

The difference between grinding your own beans on demand, against store bought is surprising... youll probably find your current espresso machine will amaze you with the results..*

Nav

Thanks for the advice guys. I will end up buying a grinder (<$500 preferably so I have a bit left to start off my savings towards my espresso machine) so I can buy a good machine later this year. Now I just have to decide on which grinder.

Compak k3 touch (just under $600, spend the extra you wont upgrade again)... I soooo would have bought one of these... :P

just my 2cents worth

in your situation, Id definitely give some consideration to the new Breville grinder - read the threads about it and Im sure youll see that its at least worth a look, based on feedback so far.
    Also I wouldnt buy a new espresso machine until its clear what this new Breville 900 machine is going to be. Theyre hinting at all sorts of high-end specs at a mid-range price. when people are promising something new and amazing, I think its worth waiting to see how correct they are before spending money elsewhere, just my opinion...

lu

hi Nav,

As Cooper69S says consider the Breville Smartgrinder and the new 900 series machine due out any day* ::).

Perhaps Breville will make first release offers for Coffee Snobs sponsors* ;)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 352C590 link=1301221125/8#8 date=1301361265
    the new 900 series machine due out any day
    Not quite lu- but its not too far away

Quote Originally Posted by 5F46330 link=1301221125/8#8 date=1301361265
    Perhaps Breville will make first release offers for Coffee Snobs sponsors* *
    Were hoping so!* 8-)

Nav

Im probably going to pickup the bcg800 on the weekend and wait to see what the new 900 series machine looks like. Hopefully the 900 series doesnt come with an inbuilt grinder.