Thread: EM6910 Steam switch broken?

prh

EM6910 Steam switch broken?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. The steam has failed on my Em6910. I can feel a click when turning the steam knob, but the pump is not activating.

I pulled off the steam knob and unscrewed the grey plastic actuator to inspect the switch from the side, but am not sure how to remove the switch to test it further. Although the switch looks and feels OK, I want to check it electrically.

Can the switch be removed without further assembly, or will I need to remove the machines top cover?

Are there other components to test before assuming that the pump has failed?

The machine dates from early 2007 from memory.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, Paul

Re: EM6910 Steam switch broken?

Can you hear the steam pump attempt to pump water? With these aging machines it is relatively common for something along the lines to get clogged with scale/crud which will mean the pump attempts to pump but nothing is flowing. I recently had a similar problem and had to flush my steam system due to a clogged pump.

Otherwise you may be right, the switch may have died. If you attempt to check the switch i would strongly suggest taking the back and top of the machine off or else youre very restricted by space. Taking the top off can be a fairly intricate procedure so do some searching and find a guide first.

Others have had this problem before, so doing some searching should reveal some links like this one - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1293074472

*edit - linky fixed

A_M

Correct link = http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1293074472

If the pump is not activating, then either the switch (most likely) or the control board OR the pump has died.

It is all 240V inside so I recommend staying clear.

Unless you have the tools and know what you looking for, it can be messy trying to T/Shoot.

Switch is either Open or Closed. The pump solenoid should be low but not short. Usually go open if dead. If both of these = OK then teh board is suspect.

prh

Thanks folks. The pump is making zero noise when the switch is activated. I had done some prior searching but didnt quite come up trumps.

I think Ill go in. I have some experience with electronic troubleshooting/repair and have a sparky mate who can safety check the unit afterward.

I have a reasonable range of tools including torx drivers, DMM and solder/desoldering gear. Can test for shorts, open circuit, resistance, etc.

I take it that the collar replacement instructions will serve to guide disassembly?

I take it that the switch should be replaceable with an appropriately rated off-the-shelf part from Jaycar or RS Components?

Basically, if I cant fix it, I will move on as I have neither the time nor inclination to go to a service agent, and will just put the money toward a new machine (whatever that may be).

Well just have to survive for a while with a (gulp) french press, of course using fresh coffee - ground on demand.

Thanks for the help!

Paul

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 111309610 link=1301805066/3#3 date=1301829598
    I take it that the collar replacement instructions will serve to guide disassembly?

I take it that the switch should be replaceable with an appropriately rated off-the-shelf part from Jaycar or RS Components?
    Yes and Yes

There is also another file with teh word disassembly in it, so do a search.

Hi there,

I had the exact same issue a few days ago (no steam, no sound from the pump). Of course it had to happen only hours before I was due to host a dinner party for my friends! Anyway, it seemed to fix itself once I started to push the knob inwards whilst rotating to turn the steam wand on. Now I have no electrical know-how whatsoever, but my conclusion was that there was just a dodgy contact/connection between the knob and the switch inside. Maybe worth a look???

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 54414E4749574149200 link=1301805066/5#5 date=1301877816
    Hi there,

I had the exact same issue a few days ago (no steam, no sound from the pump). Of course it had to happen only hours before I was due to host a dinner party for my friends! Anyway, it seemed to fix itself once I started to push the knob inwards whilst rotating to turn the steam wand on. Now I have no electrical know-how whatsoever, but my conclusion was that there was just a dodgy contact/connection between the knob and the switch inside. Maybe worth a look???
    If you pull the main knob off.... You may find that the inner grey locator has become loose. A fine Philips head driver and tighten the screw and all is fixed.

prh

OK, the switch checks out fine. The pump solenoid however is showing open circuit so I assume this means it is dead.

How much is a replacement pump assembly?

Paul

Just for the record and if you are competent with electrical appliance fixes, a broken the microswitch on the steam side (as mine was) can be replaced with the microswitch from the hot water side. Youll need to do soldering as the lead assemblies are different lengths. Of course, after doing this, youll have to find another way of providing hot water if you need it. Depends on what you need most.

prh

Quote Originally Posted by 606B7C61636160650E0 link=1301805066/8#8 date=1302349559
    Just for the record and if you are competent with electrical appliance fixes, a broken the microswitch on the steam side (as mine was) can be replaced with the microswitch from the hot water side. Youll need to do soldering as the lead assemblies are different lengths. Of course, after doing this, youll have to find another way of providing hot water if you need it. Depends on what you need most.
    My switch is OK, but I am going to replace it as preventative maintenance. The steam pump solenoid seems kaput, so Ill need to replace it as well.

prh

Re: EM6910 Steam switch broken - SOLVED

I have replaced the steam pump, and done a bunch of other maintenance - descale, chemical backflush, new seal, new calc filter, plus the updated steam tip.

Works like new! Can put away the Bodum now...

Paul