Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: New machine choice

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    152

    New machine choice

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have battled on with a Saeco V V for a number of years trying all different things to try and get a great espresso like you get at a good coffee shop but according to my wife I have not yet succeeded so I have deceided to get the long awaited new/better machine. I have always wanted a Silvia for as long as I can remember but since finding CS I have found a stack of others that may be the one I need. So my choice is between the Silvia or Lelit, is the 57mm portafilter an issue for getting baskets or mods, is the PID a good idea on the Silvia? (I dont think I want a Sunbeam or Breville even though thay are a lot cheaper) at around $700 odd or double that and get either a Vibiemmie Domobar Piccolo or the Isomac Zaffiro both at around $1600. The two latter machines look very much alike in physical appearence and specifiations so what is the best out of these and can any one suggest the best way to go. I will get be getting a Rocky grinder in the next couple of weeks to replace my old worn out Saeco burr grinder. We are mostly espresso drinkers and rarely do milk.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    20

    Re: New machine choice

    Hi Tony
    I have used a Silvia for many years (un-modded) and recently upgraded. In hindsight I probably should have put a PID unit on it. Temperature control was always an issue.

    Also have a look at the Gee at Talk coffee a snobs sponsor. Chris will be able to help you a lot in making the right decision.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    114

    Re: New machine choice

    The Saecos wear you out yeah, you come oh so close to really good, but it always comes just short, found that with mine many times.

    Difference between Lelit and Silvia comes down to things like budget and build quality in different areas, also temp stability so I read.

    Once my Lelit is warm, I noticed so far it stays very temp stable, I hear the Silvia possibly needs the PID to stay more stable, though Im sure the Lelit is not perfect in that area either.

    For aftermarket, I know you can get a bottomless handle now for the Lelit, baskets I think are already a good size so maybe no need for aftermarket.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    675

    Re: New machine choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 7269687F6B37060 link=1303282545/0#0 date=1303282545
    We are mostly espresso drinkers and rarely do milk.
    With this in mind I would buy a better grinder than the rocky if you can afford to. Youll notice it in the cup. A single boiler will do you fine if your not doing milk much.

    Theres been a few used Piccolos on the for sale section. They have a bigger boiler than the silvia or Lelit.

  5. #5
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: New machine choice

    There isnt too much in that price range of ~$1.5K
    An alternative to the Piccolo & Zaffiro is the Diadema Perfetta. I believe Chris from Talk Coffee rates this machine the best of the 3.

    Cheaper options are the GEE & Silvia or Silvia + PID.

    I know you dont want a Breville but some of our most respected sponsors have been priveledged to see the new Breville machine and have praised it very highly. According to them there is no competitor in the same price range. It will be released soon so may be worth considering.

    Also I totally agree with Lacehim, you may want to consider a better grinder for your use. Alternatively you could save money and get the Breville Smart Grinder which is supposedly as good or better than the Rocky.

  6. #6
    brett230873
    Guest

    Re: New machine choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 7A7B71627C7963100 link=1303282545/4#4 date=1303298123
    There isnt too much in that price range of ~$1.5K
    An alternative to the Piccolo & Zaffiro is the Diadema Perfetta.* I believe Chris from Talk Coffee rates this machine the best of the 3.

    Cheaper options are the GEE & Silvia or Silvia + PID.*

    I know you dont want a Breville but some of our most respected sponsors have been priveledged to see the new Breville machine and have praised it very highly.* According to them there is no competitor in the same price range.* It will be released soon so may be worth considering.

    Also I totally agree with Lacehim, you may want to consider a better grinder for your use.* Alternatively you could save money and get the Breville Smart Grinder which is supposedly as good or better than the Rocky.
    My Mazda according to some is supposedly as good or better than an Audi :P

    Get the Rocky and enjoy! Its not flavor of the month because and mentioned on this forum its supply chain is flawed allowing the importer to undercut the resellers... but it is more than capable. I bought one before they were popular and another (decaf duties) for less money after they were popular. I make great espresso, have an above average palate, am very anal about extraction and am satisfied with Rocky. Does that make me less of a perfectionist than others....

    At the end of the day it is your money and you will have to live with your purchases so stop talking to ether(ial) suppositions and go and try some gear out. That really is the only way to know. Let the forum people know your location then find out the best suppliers local to you. Then talk to a retail professional who has a vested interest in your ongoing success with your purchases... after the fact. Im sure the Diadema is great but what if your coffee boat is rocked and floated by a Syphon, a Lever, an Aeropress..... Talk to a pro near you and good luck!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Rothbury, NSW
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: New machine choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 0212051414525350585753600 link=1303282545/5#5 date=1303300764

    My Mazda according to some is supposedly as good or better than an Audi* :P

    Get the Rocky and enjoy! Its not flavor of the month because and mentioned on this forum its supply chain is flawed allowing the importer to undercut the resellers... but it is more than capable.* I bought one before they were popular and another (decaf duties) for less money after they were popular. I make great espresso, have an above average palate, am very anal about extraction and am satisfied with Rocky.* Does that make me less of a perfectionist than others....

    At the end of the day it is your money and you will have to live with your purchases so stop talking to ether(ial) suppositions and go and try some gear out.* That really is the only way to know.* Let the forum people know your location then find out the best suppliers local to you.* Then talk to a retail professional who has a vested interest in your ongoing success with your purchases... after the fact.* Im sure the Diadema is great but what if your coffee boat is rocked and floated by a Syphon, a Lever, an Aeropress..... Talk to a pro near you and good luck!

    Great post Bret, although I will just trust you on the above average palate* ;D

    With a low end machine, you need to do what Bret suggests and sample.

    We had low end Sunbeam, then went to 6910. We have friends who have an Isomac La Mondiale, and through being a pick up point made friends with others who have VBM Domobar Super, Giotto Premium Plus, all the way to Alex Duetto.

    That made our research less ether and more tangible. These friends were wonderful enough to not only let us sample the goods but also get hands on.

    So if you have that availability, do the tangible and the ether and work out what is for you.

    If you dont, then get yourself to somewhere where you can play.

    A computer screen cannot give you the answers you need. It is certainly part of the equation for sure, but not all of it.

    Hang on, doesnt this ring of what the sponsors say every day* :-?

    Good luck in your search

    Chris

  8. #8
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: New machine choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 262E363C21450 link=1303282545/6#6 date=1303301936
    My Mazda according to some is supposedly as good or better than an Audi* :P
    Not sure of the point youre making.* I suggested he could get a cheaper grinder which is (according to reports) as good as the Rocky.

    I do completely agree that you can get bogged down in thinking about these things. Best idea is to get out there and see/feel/use the equipment.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    152

    Re: New machine choice


    As a matter of fact I just bought a Aeropress today and tried some Ethiopian Sidamo in it and I am very impressed. The place I bought the aeropress from also had the Vibiemme on display and I had a fiddle with it, it really feels like a pro machine after my Saeco

  10. #10
    brett230873
    Guest

    Re: New machine choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 776C6D7A6E32030 link=1303282545/8#8 date=1303305275
    As a matter of fact I just bought a Aeropress today and tried some Ethiopian Sidamo in it and I am very impressed. The place I bought the aeropress from also had the Vibiemme on display and I had a fiddle with it, it really feels like a pro machine after my Saeco
    Fantastic! Youre on your way. Keep us posted because your journey is of great interest to many... hence the membership numbers. Most importantly when shopping for machines is to taste what comes out of them! This is a factor often overlooked by people blinded by bling or purchase price. It isnt a bargain if you dont love the taste, just expensive bench bling! Good luck!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Rothbury, NSW
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: New machine choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 45444E5D43465C2F0 link=1303282545/7#7 date=1303302557
    Quote Originally Posted by 262E363C21450 link=1303282545/6#6 date=1303301936
    My Mazda according to some is supposedly as good or better than an Audi* :P
    Not sure of the point youre making.* I suggested he could get a cheaper grinder which is (according to reports) as good as the Rocky.

    I do completely agree that you can get bogged down in thinking about these things. Best idea is to get out there and see/feel/use the equipment.

    Umm, I didnt make that point.

    Look closer.... and direct your remark to the person who made it ::)

  12. #12
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: New machine choice

    whoops sorry ck

  13. #13
    brett230873
    Guest

    Re: New machine choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 2322283B25203A490 link=1303282545/11#11 date=1303393607
    whoops sorry ck
    Yep CJ, you got my point although Ill admit it wasnt my finest literary examples!



Similar Threads

  1. Machine choice discussion
    By xmlstu in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st May 2011, 11:56 AM
  2. Machine choice?
    By Airsk in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 17th December 2008, 08:46 PM
  3. Please help with choice of espresso machine
    By JOSEPHF in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th August 2008, 03:47 PM
  4. Machine choice and reliabilty
    By BeanBrat in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12th January 2008, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •