Thread: New machine choice

New machine choice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have battled on with a Saeco V V for a number of years trying all different things to try and get a great espresso like you get at a good coffee shop but according to my wife I have not yet succeeded so I have deceided to get the long awaited new/better machine. I have always wanted a Silvia for as long as I can remember but since finding CS I have found a stack of others that may be the one I need. So my choice is between the Silvia or Lelit, is the 57mm portafilter an issue for getting baskets or mods, is the PID a good idea on the Silvia? (I dont think I want a Sunbeam or Breville even though thay are a lot cheaper) at around $700 odd or double that and get either a Vibiemmie Domobar Piccolo or the Isomac Zaffiro both at around $1600. The two latter machines look very much alike in physical appearence and specifiations so what is the best out of these and can any one suggest the best way to go. I will get be getting a Rocky grinder in the next couple of weeks to replace my old worn out Saeco burr grinder. We are mostly espresso drinkers and rarely do milk.

Re: New machine choice

Hi Tony
    I have used a Silvia for many years (un-modded) and recently upgraded. In hindsight I probably should have put a PID unit on it. Temperature control was always an issue.

Also have a look at the Gee at Talk coffee a snobs sponsor. Chris will be able to help you a lot in making the right decision.

The Saecos wear you out yeah, you come oh so close to really good, but it always comes just short, found that with mine many times.

Difference between Lelit and Silvia comes down to things like budget and build quality in different areas, also temp stability so I read.

Once my Lelit is warm, I noticed so far it stays very temp stable, I hear the Silvia possibly needs the PID to stay more stable, though Im sure the Lelit is not perfect in that area either.

For aftermarket, I know you can get a bottomless handle now for the Lelit, baskets I think are already a good size so maybe no need for aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by 7269687F6B37060 link=1303282545/0#0 date=1303282545
    We are mostly espresso drinkers and rarely do milk.
    With this in mind I would buy a better grinder than the rocky if you can afford to. Youll notice it in the cup. A single boiler will do you fine if your not doing milk much.

Theres been a few used Piccolos on the for sale section. They have a bigger boiler than the silvia or Lelit.

Caffeine Junky

There isnt too much in that price range of ~$1.5K
    An alternative to the Piccolo & Zaffiro is the Diadema Perfetta. I believe Chris from Talk Coffee rates this machine the best of the 3.

Cheaper options are the GEE & Silvia or Silvia + PID.

I know you dont want a Breville but some of our most respected sponsors have been priveledged to see the new Breville machine and have praised it very highly. According to them there is no competitor in the same price range. It will be released soon so may be worth considering.

Also I totally agree with Lacehim, you may want to consider a better grinder for your use. Alternatively you could save money and get the Breville Smart Grinder which is supposedly as good or better than the Rocky.

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 7A7B71627C7963100 link=1303282545/4#4 date=1303298123
    There isnt too much in that price range of ~$1.5K
    An alternative to the Piccolo & Zaffiro is the Diadema Perfetta.* I believe Chris from Talk Coffee rates this machine the best of the 3.

Cheaper options are the GEE & Silvia or Silvia + PID.*

I know you dont want a Breville but some of our most respected sponsors have been priveledged to see the new Breville machine and have praised it very highly.* According to them there is no competitor in the same price range.* It will be released soon so may be worth considering.

Also I totally agree with Lacehim, you may want to consider a better grinder for your use.* Alternatively you could save money and get the Breville Smart Grinder which is supposedly as good or better than the Rocky.
    My Mazda according to some is supposedly as good or better than an Audi :P

Get the Rocky and enjoy! Its not flavor of the month because and mentioned on this forum its supply chain is flawed allowing the importer to undercut the resellers... but it is more than capable. I bought one before they were popular and another (decaf duties) for less money after they were popular. I make great espresso, have an above average palate, am very anal about extraction and am satisfied with Rocky. Does that make me less of a perfectionist than others....

At the end of the day it is your money and you will have to live with your purchases so stop talking to ether(ial) suppositions and go and try some gear out. That really is the only way to know. Let the forum people know your location then find out the best suppliers local to you. Then talk to a retail professional who has a vested interest in your ongoing success with your purchases... after the fact. Im sure the Diadema is great but what if your coffee boat is rocked and floated by a Syphon, a Lever, an Aeropress..... Talk to a pro near you and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 0212051414525350585753600 link=1303282545/5#5 date=1303300764

My Mazda according to some is supposedly as good or better than an Audi* :P

Get the Rocky and enjoy! Its not flavor of the month because and mentioned on this forum its supply chain is flawed allowing the importer to undercut the resellers... but it is more than capable.* I bought one before they were popular and another (decaf duties) for less money after they were popular. I make great espresso, have an above average palate, am very anal about extraction and am satisfied with Rocky.* Does that make me less of a perfectionist than others....

At the end of the day it is your money and you will have to live with your purchases so stop talking to ether(ial) suppositions and go and try some gear out.* That really is the only way to know.* Let the forum people know your location then find out the best suppliers local to you.* Then talk to a retail professional who has a vested interest in your ongoing success with your purchases... after the fact.* Im sure the Diadema is great but what if your coffee boat is rocked and floated by a Syphon, a Lever, an Aeropress..... Talk to a pro near you and good luck!

Great post Bret, although I will just trust you on the above average palate* ;D

With a low end machine, you need to do what Bret suggests and sample.

We had low end Sunbeam, then went to 6910. We have friends who have an Isomac La Mondiale, and through being a pick up point made friends with others who have VBM Domobar Super, Giotto Premium Plus, all the way to Alex Duetto.

That made our research less ether and more tangible. These friends were wonderful enough to not only let us sample the goods but also get hands on.

So if you have that availability, do the tangible and the ether and work out what is for you.

If you dont, then get yourself to somewhere where you can play.

A computer screen cannot give you the answers you need. It is certainly part of the equation for sure, but not all of it.

Hang on, doesnt this ring of what the sponsors say every day* :-?

Good luck in your search

Chris

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 262E363C21450 link=1303282545/6#6 date=1303301936
    Not sure of the point youre making.* I suggested he could get a cheaper grinder which is (according to reports) as good as the Rocky.

I do completely agree that you can get bogged down in thinking about these things. Best idea is to get out there and see/feel/use the equipment.

As a matter of fact I just bought a Aeropress today and tried some Ethiopian Sidamo in it and I am very impressed. The place I bought the aeropress from also had the Vibiemme on display and I had a fiddle with it, it really feels like a pro machine after my Saeco

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 776C6D7A6E32030 link=1303282545/8#8 date=1303305275
    As a matter of fact I just bought a Aeropress today and tried some Ethiopian Sidamo in it and I am very impressed. The place I bought the aeropress from also had the Vibiemme on display and I had a fiddle with it, it really feels like a pro machine after my Saeco
    Fantastic! Youre on your way. Keep us posted because your journey is of great interest to many... hence the membership numbers. Most importantly when shopping for machines is to taste what comes out of them! This is a factor often overlooked by people blinded by bling or purchase price. It isnt a bargain if you dont love the taste, just expensive bench bling! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 45444E5D43465C2F0 link=1303282545/7#7 date=1303302557
    Quote Originally Posted by 262E363C21450 link=1303282545/6#6 date=1303301936
    Not sure of the point youre making.* I suggested he could get a cheaper grinder which is (according to reports) as good as the Rocky.

I do completely agree that you can get bogged down in thinking about these things. Best idea is to get out there and see/feel/use the equipment.

Umm, I didnt make that point.

Look closer.... and direct your remark to the person who made it ::)

Caffeine Junky

whoops sorry ck

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 2322283B25203A490 link=1303282545/11#11 date=1303393607
    whoops sorry ck
    Yep CJ, you got my point although Ill admit it wasnt my finest literary examples!