Thread: Upgrade advice please? Lelit and Sunbeam EM040

Upgrade advice please? Lelit and Sunbeam EM040

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Im new and dont know what Im getting myself into. Please help me decide if you can.

Im ditching my broken "Magimx lespresso" which never failed to disappoint me in its short 3 year life and I dont want to make a mistake in moving forward. My Sunbeam EM040 grinder still functions but Im prepared to move on from it if thats the consensus opinion.

From what Ive read on this forum the Lelit PL041 seems a good option, built to last, and capable of producing cafe quality results. But then again I have no barista skills whatsoever, so would I be able to use it? And what about the EM040? Could it give me decent enough results with a Lelit?

Open to all ideas and experiences you would like to share with me. Dont want to spend more years of my life regretting a bad choice.

Thanks

Caffeine Junky

Re: Upgrade advice please? Lelit and Sunbeam EM040

Can you check your grinder model number, I dont think there is a EM040, appears to be missing one digit.

Site Sponsor

Hi and welcome,

Is the EM040 a blade grinder? If so, it wont be suitable as an espresso grinder. A Lelit combi has a built in burr grinder which will do the job nicely. Sponsors TalkCoffee, cuppacoffee and Jetblack (thats us) carry these.

Let us know if we can help further,

charlie

Hi Caffeine Junky and Jetblack,

Thanks for your replys. It is an EM0480 (better get a new pair of glasses before the new espresso machine!). I remember it being described as conical burr not a blade grinder.

Would the inbuilt grinder in the Lelit Combi be superior to it?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 112E2732272B0F22292F28212E233423460 link=1303360400/3#3 date=1303378042
    Would the inbuilt grinder in the Lelit Combi be superior to it?
    About the same or slightly better.

Caffeine Junky

Pretty similar in my opinion (I have owned 2 x Lelit Combis and 2 x EM0480s). The have the same type of burr set.

Your grinder will be fine with a PL041, Silvia, GEE or other similar machine.*

A better grinder will give better results.

For example, if you try the Sunbeam side-by-side with say a Compak K3 you will notice a significant difference (from personal experience) but your grinder will give more than acceptable results.

Wow Caffeine Junky great advice and not what I was expecting to hear. My Sunbeam lives to see another day!* :)

I will now check out the other Espresso machines you mentioned. Ive only read about the Silvia so far and it sounds a bit more of a challenge to use than the Lelit, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by 1B242D382D2105282325222B24293E294C0 link=1303360400/6#6 date=1303381797
    Ive only read about the Silvia so far and it sounds a bit more of a challenge to use than the Lelit, is that correct?
    Not really. They are very similar internally and operationally. The Silvia is made of heavier materials while the Lelit is light in construction. That can be good, especially if you would like to take the machine on holidays, etc.

I think rather than reading, looking at photos, etc. it would be good for you at this stage to see or have the Lelit demonstrated. Of course, the opportunity to do so is dependent on your location...which is?

pretty much the same really.

What sort of coffee do you drink mostly? milk based or espresso or long blacks?

Could be worth waiting for the new Breville, its due out in a couple of months and if the hype is anything to go by it should be a very capable machine at a good price point.

Hi Cuppacoffee and Trentski,

I have seen the Lelit demonstrated but not the Sylvia. I was told that one difference between the Lelit and the Sylvia is that the former needs 25 minutes to warm up and the latter an hour. That seems a significant difference to me.

I drink flat whites 2 a day and hubby has 1 or 2 short blacks, so not high volume. I will look into the Breville but Im wanting a long lived machine. How reliqble are they? Im a bit leery of anything which repeats my first bad experience. Magimix lespresso needed repairing after 6 months, then 12 months, and then limped along leaking and making a pale imitation of an espresso until I finally gave up on it. So much for Choice magazine recommendations!

The em0480 will make decent espresso with a Silvia/Lelit, but it is probably the minimum standard grinder for espresso. A better grinder will give heaps better results with these machines. I went from the em0480 to the Breville BCG800 with my Silvia and it made a big difference for not that much extra $.
    By the sounds of the new Breville machine the em0480 would be a real limiting factor. A $1000-$1500 espresso machine with a $150 grinder would be well out done with a Gee/Lelit/Sivia paired with K3T or similar.

Dont be scared off about the talk of the Lelit/Silvia being tricky or difficult. A capable grinder and some basic knowledge and you will be in the ballpark straight away.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 5A656C796C6044696264636A65687F680D0 link=1303360400/9#9 date=1303384353
    I was told that one difference between the Lelit and the Sylvia is that the former needs 25 minutes to warm up and the latter an hour. That seems a significant difference to me.
    This doesnt sound right to me. From experience the Lelit may be a little faster but I would give both of them around 30mins.

Thanks again Caffeine Junky. Its good to hear that I dont have to write off the Sylvia as an option, quite yet.

So, if Lelit and Sylvia take about the same time to warm up, in your opinion, are they also both pretty equal in terms of time waiting to build up a head of steam for the milk after the extraction?

In short, is there any basis at all to the claim that the Sylvia is not quite as easy to use? I understand it is a heavier build which would make it more cumbersome to travel with but thats not an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C535A4F5A56725F5452555C535E495E3B0 link=1303360400/12#12 date=1303430184
    So, if Lelit and Sylvia take about the same time to warm up, in your opinion, are they also both pretty equal in terms of time waiting to build up a head of steam for the milk after the extraction?
    Cant speak on the Lelit but the Silvia is ready to steam after about 30 - 40 secs.
    I hit the steam switch steam straight after I pull the shot. Knock out the puck in the bang bang. Rinse the portafilter under some water and then take the pitcher out of freezer. I then bleed the water out of the steam wand and run for a few secs till the steam is a bit dryer. I start steaming before the boiler light goes off which takes 35-40secs.

Quote Originally Posted by 55686C6C78010 link=1303360400/13#13 date=1303440616
    Cant speak on the Lelit but the Silvia is ready to steam after about 30 - 40 secs.
    I hit the steam switch steam straight after I pull the shot.* Knock out the puck in the bang bang. Rinse the portafilter under some water and then take the pitcher out of freezer.* I then bleed the water out of the steam wand and run for a few secs till the steam is a bit dryer.* I start steaming before the boiler light goes off which takes 35-40secs.
    Sorry to quote so much, but this sounds almost exactly the same as my Lelit, without getting out a timer.

Thanks for your both of your inputs on extraction to steam time. Sounds like both machines are on a par in this regard.

As a newbie Im totally wrapped with all this help Im getting here.

Ive spent the day reading as much as I can and Im now also considering the Vibiemme Piccolo. Even though its a step up in price it sounds more forgiving of barista ineptitude (if I read it correctly) than the Lelit or Sylvia. Also I think my other half would find it less challenging and more rewarding as he is the short black drinker. Please advise if you think Im on the right track?

The piccolo has a bigger boiler and an E61 group head and that alone makes it more forgiving.

You still have to wait for it to heat up from espresso temp to steaming temp though.

I think I dont mind waiting for the heat up to steam. The only alternative in my price range seems to be going back to thermoblock technology if I understand aright. I dont know if Im correct but I suspect a well a maintained boiler system will outlast thermoblock? and in the case of the machines Im considering: boilers probably give better quality steam? I only ever want to do two to four coffees max so waiting is no biggie. More concerned about getting a consistent sweet shot.

In my experience the Sunbeam and Breville thermoblock machines are way behind the Silvia in steam capabilities.
    The point I tried to make in my earlier post is by the time you bang your puck and clean your filter ect. you dont really wait at all.*

Hi WhatamIdoinghere. I currently have the combination you first referred to (Lelit/IMAT, Sunbeam EM0480) since my Gaggia Classic died.

I find that the combination work well together and produce very drinkable shots, better than the Classic. It did take a while to get the two dialed into each other but are now fine and the shot quality is good at 60mLs in 30sec for a double, but it does vary depending on look.

I would not get a grinder lower than the EM0480, but it does seem to work well with the Lelit. FYI ... I will be upgrading my grinder before the machine.

My EM0480 is working just fine with my new Lelit, setting wise its around 10-13 depending on freshness of the beans.

With the heat up time, you can start pulling shots after say 15mins, but its happier if you can hold out a little longer, forget doing them at 10mins or under, messes with any form of setting you have with grind to shot times.

Thanks guys,

This is all good to hear. Thanks, Ryhodal* your point was vey clear - that basically I wont even notice the time gap because its all about how you sequence your steps in the Coffee making process. Its not like you are left twiddling your thumbs while waiting for steam.

Sounds like I wont go to far wrong with any of these combinations and I can get a few years use out of the EM0480 and then upgrade it down the track as needed.

One other question is - Ive had my EM0480 for three years and never had it serviced or anything. Is it advisable to do so at this stage* or is it sufficient just to give it a good clean?

Quote Originally Posted by 655A5346535F7B565D5B5C555A574057320 link=1303360400/21#21 date=1303513213
    One other question is - Ive had my EM0480 for three years and never had it serviced or anything. Is it advisable to do so at this stage* or is it sufficient just to give it a good clean?
    I had one for a while and cant think of any serviceable parts other than a new set of burrs eventually.

A good clean (weekly) should suffice.

Thanks Thundergod,

Sorted! I cant think of anymore questions for now but Im sure once I get my new machine itll be a different story ::)

Thanks again CSers. Im going to have to changer my ID to:
    "sogladIcamehere!" :)