Thread: Buying sub $1k in Melb

Buying sub $1k in Melb

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, first post after much lurking and reading. Looking to buy, sub $1k. Going around in circles at the moment. Was budgeting ~$500 but want to stretch it a bit. Have a low end De Longhi which to its credit has never failed mechanically after 5 years of on/off usage. I dont have a grinder worth keeping. Ive been going between Rancilio Silvia V3 and EM6910, perhaps with the Sunbeam Smart Grinder, but now have come across the Lelit Combi (PL042EM). This is mainly for single milk coffees for myself of a weeknight, and weekend mornings, with the occasional multiples needed for visitors. Dont want to wait 30-60 min for a coffee! 5-15 is ok :) Im in Melbourne and would *preferably* like to buy in person not online, so where-to-buy advice welcome as well. Really dont want ot go over $1,000. Thanks for any input!

TC

Re: Buying sub $1k in Melb

Hello snobb and welcome,

Were in Melbourne and have the PL042QAUS in stock (one remaining from current batch).

My personal preference is for rocker switches, as I have replaced far too many of the push button switches on older Botticellis, Mavers and the like. A gauge on this style of machine serves only an aesthitic function.

If you want the EM, best bet is to speak with Charlie or Deb at Jetblack. You will however need to buy from Sydney.

These are a very robust little machine and if cared for appropriately are long lived.

Nevertheless, horses for courses ;)

We are open this morning and due to the easter break, not again until next Saturday.

Happy shopping.

Chris

Well, Im now the proud owner of a new lilet combi machine and accessories. Thanks chris at talk coffee for taking the time to show me the ropes. Lots of learning to be done :)

TC

And just in time for Easter!

Thanks for popping in Snobb. Enjoy! 8-)

Chris

Already enjoying superior coffee to anything Ive produced at home before. Got a water filter and feeding it from that. Thanks to Chris for getting my grind in the ballpark for me while I was there. Seems to have done the job! I wasnt expecting drinkable results this quickly :)

TC

Good stuff snobb! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Youre welcome to pop back in anytime and pull a few shots with me to refine your technique.

Enjoy that Costa. 8-)

Chris

could you tell me how you hooked up the water filter and where did you get it from?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 746F6E796D31000 link=1303492318/6#6 date=1303557441
    could you tell me how you hooked up the water filter and where did you get it from?
    Hi Tony,

As Snobbs water is reasonably good, I suggested a Brita jug with the caveat that the filters MUST be rinsed according to instructions and that they dont really soften water post the first 5-10 litres.

As the Lelit is a single boiler machine, a descale is a routine pop it in the tank and follow the instructions job- far simpler than HX or dual boiler machines. I think that better filtration is appropriate for these more complex machines.

I read a statement today along the lines that perhaps hardness doesnt influence shot quality and my take was that the author didnt feel filtration was required.* Yet another surprising opinion with which the pros disagree passionately. It just goes to show that any bizarre viewpoint can be published on the internerd :-?

Cheers

Chris

Thankyou Chris for the explanation, I also use a Brita jug and have done so since I got my machine some years ago, I use diluted citric acid to clean mine out and it seems to work well.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6C7776617529180 link=1303492318/8#8 date=1303558413
    Thankyou* Chris for the explanation, I also use a Brita jug and have done so since I got my machine some years ago, I use diluted citric acid to clean mine out and it seems to work well.
    I am not that crazy about citric alone Tony as it can lift scale in plaques which then potentially cause havoc elsewhere in the machine.

I think its best to use one of the many proprietary descalers which will do the job very well and for a few dollars per job. ;)

C

Sorry I missed these posts :) I got a stefani filter from bunnings. Its supposedly pretty good. Whether necessary or not I figure it cant hurt. Its just one that fits to your tap and I fill the tank from that. Hope its ok. I think its better than a brita jug??

Thanks for the offer chris, pity youre not just down the road :P
    Had a lovely coffee this morning :) good thing caffeine doesnt keep me awake at night as well.