Thread: Silvia bottomless portafilter splatter issue

Silvia bottomless portafilter splatter issue

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

I have a Rancilio Silvia and I recently obtained a bottomless portafilter and two deep baskets. The effect on my brew quality was significant, and I couldnt be happier with the results Im getting. The only issue is I seem to be getting lots of little tiny jets squirting out from the individual holes in both baskets making the brew process quite messy. Is this just something that happens, or do I need to adjust my grind size or something? Note that pour rate is not too fast nor too slow - not sure if this matches the experience of others.

Thanks!

Michael

Re: Silvia bottomless portafilter splatter issue

Hi Michael,

I suspect the jets are caused by channelling...

Possibly either grind or tamp issue

^^
    I second fivegallons suggestion.

I had been getting the jets also, so I changed my tamping technique. Previously, I filled basket, evenly distributed grinds, tapped on bench, tamped, tap-tap on side of pf and then final tamp.

I removed the tap-tap component and the jets disappeared. For me, that seemed to be the single biggest issue for me.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I hope it helps.

Yup--sounds like channelling to me.
    Try the Weiss Distribution Technique.

Greg

I was having this problem - tried to change my tamp and grind and had a little bit of success, but not enough.

Problem ended up that I was under-dosing and not realising it. As mentioned somewhere else on these forums, try this:
    1. Grind and Tamp
    2. Place a 5c Coin on the top of your puck
    3. Lock the portafilter in
    4. Unlock the portafilter and examine

If the 5c coin hasnt moved, you are under dosing... make sure you give the portafilter a couple of taps on the bench to settle the grind before you level the mound and tamp. If the 5c coin is stuck all the way into your puck and you can see solid showerscreen marks - youre overdosing and you should maybe tap a little less before levelling and grinding. Ideally the 5c coin should be stuck half-way-in-ish.

Also, remember coffee expands when it absorbs water, ideally you want the puck to just kiss the showerscreen when you lock it in, and then expand during brewing so when you unlock him after pulling a shot it has expanded up and you can see the showerscreen marks on top of the puck.

Re: tamping, more important than anything is consistency. I personally dont like the whole "tamp at 30 lbs" rubbish. Its too hard to be that accurate, and in reality there are much more important variables at play.

To be consistent, I use something consistent like my body weight (except at Christmas time* :P). I rest the tamper on top of the coffee and just rest my body weight through my arm onto the puck. This is how I personally know im being as consistent as possible and that theres one less variable to worry about.

In saying that, thats just my philosophy. Anyone who says they know once and for all how to make coffee is probably smoking crack.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was definitely undertamping - I think I got lazy and stopped leaning on that bad boy. I had a test go on some bathroom scales and realised just how far off my tamping pressure was. I have followed FreshBloods approach now by positioning the handle so I can give it a consistently good shove each time.

I have also definitely been underdosing - by quite a margin. I have done some test runs with my IberItal Challenge to increase the dose amount. Ive now actually maxed out the timer and the dose only just makes the top of the basket, which makes me think I should also increase the grind size (make it more coarse).

I have also watched the WDT videos on YouTube and will get some yoghurt next time Im in a supermarket and give that a try - perhaps it wont be required if I can follow FreshBloods directions.

The machine will be on and warmed up at 6.00am tomorrow, so Ill start my experimentation then. Thanks again for all your wisdom and suggestions. Update soon!

Michael

Youre not alone Michael, had the same issue when i first started using a bottomless PF on my silvia.

Like everyone says, inconsistencies in your grind/dose/tamp can be better identified with a naked PF, but theyre also multiplied when you use deeper/triple baskets.

The fix for me was probably a combination of all of the above. Employing the WDT can help, especially if youre using a doserless grinder. I suspect if you get the dosing right and tamp consistently youll quickly get better results.

Let us know how you go, and if youre still having issues, I can give you a more detailed description of how I went about fixing the squirts.* :o ;)