Thread: Newbie Looking For Advice

Newbie Looking For Advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey Coffee Lovers!

What machine is a good machine I should buy???
    Thats all...

Nah, just kidding, Ill give you some more info!
    So, Im about to dive into the midrange category (the minimum mid range 500 - 800)...
    I have two very different machines in mind, however am really unable to make up my mind! :-/
    First, is the very talked about Sunbeam EM6910 (plus I get the bonus EM0810 Grinder) - This would set me back $650.

The second, is the unknown (by me until recently) Cebo Automatic Coffee Machine. NON Site Sponsor link removed in accordance with Site Sales and Posting Policy Setting me back $687.

Theyre both very similar in price, but Im yet to decide if I go with manual Sunbeam, or if I want to be lazy and get an automatic. Ive come across some great reviews Cebo, but am just a little bit scared because I have a couple questions stopping me from pressing the buy now button (how loud is it, does it actually produce good quality coffee, hows the milk froth)... But I dont want to turn around and buy the Sunbeam because the reviews Ive seen for Sunbeam are a mixed bag!

To all my coffee lovers out there, what would you do
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

From the coffee lover without a clue about what to do! :o

Re: Newbie Looking For Advice

Dear Everyone,
    Im actually really sorry, after now using the quick search button to look for everything about the EM6910, its almost clear that I really shouldnt buy one of these things...

So, Ill leave you with one question...
    What are your thoughts on the Cebo?

Sorry and Thanks :)

Caffeine Junky

Hi Springer. Youll find that there is very little interest on this forum in superautomatic coffee machines. The main reason for this is because the quality of coffee manufactured by them is inferior compared to manual machines. Also although you only have to press a button to make a coffee there is actually a fair bit of work involved in maintaining them e.g. cleaning milk lines. They generally have a reputation for poor reliability. Id be suprised if the Cebo is any different in any of these areas.

The EM6910 is capable of creating an excellent coffee and represents good value in my opinion; this is despite the fact that I was once one of the many frustrated owners of a 6910. The most common issue with this model is a worn collar which comes from improper use.

Quote Originally Posted by 737072696E676572000 link=1303825503/0#0 date=1303825503
    bonus EM0810 Grinder)
    I assume this was a misprint by HN and is meant to read EM0480 which is a capable grinder.

Within the $800 budget youve set yourself I would seriously consider the Lelit Combi PL042 (for around $850) or the Lelit PL041 and a Breville BCG800 (around $900).

A good burr grinder is a must. The cheapest usually recommended is the Sunbeam EM0450 for ~$150.

Caffeine Junky, thanks for your advice.
    The dislike for autos is understandable, if they make ok coffee, thats what your stuck with! + repair costs of something bad happens... I guess a part of me wants to be lazy and only have to press a button to get a quick coffee!
    EM0810 is indeed a misprint (nice work good guys), And like you said, it should be EM0480...

Im now looking into spending that little bit extra for the Lelit Combi. I like the practicality of having both grinder / espresso in one machine (only needs one power outlet and my bench space isnt all that allowing right now...

Although I already own a grinder (EM0430) its not all that sharp and will probably fail for a Lelit machine. I think it does a good job for drip or plunger, but anything else wed probably have a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by 5E5D5F44434A485F2D0 link=1303825503/3#3 date=1303870891
    Im now looking into spending that little bit extra for the Lelit Combi. I like the practicality of having both grinder / espresso in one machine (only needs one power outlet and my bench space isnt all that allowing right now...
    Just got the Combi myself less than a week ago. Loving the coffee from it, and also the convenience of the combined grinder. The steam wand is a bit of a pain as noted in other threads but Ill sort that out one way or another. (Get an alternate wand/attachment, or get some more skill :) The problems are its too short (with the useless sleeve taken off) and you cant angle it up/down. Ill find the right technique for great steaming sooner or later.

Caffeine Junky

I have no experience with the EM0430 but from what I can see youre probably spot on, will most likely not be suitable for espresso.

The Lelit’s are pretty bullet proof and yes the footprint of the Combi is pretty small. As with the Silvia you have to be careful to ensure you refill the boiler after steaming milk but this is not difficult and just becomes second nature after a while. Failure to do this can burn out the element which is an expensive repair which warranty won’t cover.

Hey Caffeine Junkie, could I get you to clarify a little on the worn collar from misuse issue of the em6910?

I have an em6910. It started to leak water over the top of the group head, i thought my seal had gone, bought a new one, pulled the old one out...and it was fine. I then discovered if i just turned the group head a little more when i was locking it in (i used to do it to the arrow, now it goes about 0.5-1.0cm past the arrow) i dont get that problem. And now I am worried Im breaking something.

other than that though, its been a great machine for the last few years (although a bit noisy on the pump).

cheers.

Caffeine Junky

Hi Salem. I am by no means an expert on this topic.

The group handle doesn’t always have to lock in lined up with the arrow, or what is generally referred to as 6 ‘o’ clock. With a new group seal it may lock in around 7 ‘o’ clock then as it wears out move as far as 5 ‘o’ clock. If the group handle goes much past 5 ‘o’ clock you will probably want to think about ordering a new seal.

If the machine doesn’t leak when the group handle is locked in firmly then I wouldn’t worry. If you have a new seal and coffee leaks out when the group handle is securely locked in then you may have a collar problem.

The collar can wear out faster than expected if you consistently overdose the basket, which creates more force on the lugs against the collar leads to premature wear.

Replacement collars are readily available for ~$60 and can be replaced yourself if you are handy.

If you have managed to get several years out of your machine then you are doing well.

I dont know if to start a new post on this or not, but Ill put it here for now...

Lelit Combi Vs. GEE

Oh dear, decisions, decisions!
    Once again, I like how the combi has the intergrated grinder... However, this GEE (besides looking rather retro and fancy) has that nice LCD screen with the options to change temp, time, etc, etc...
    Also, the difference in milk is probably a big factor for me. Im a fan of my lattes, so if anyone has anything to add, feel free.

Anyone, please! Words of wisdom!

Luke :)

Quote Originally Posted by 223E263B27273D540 link=1303825503/4#4 date=1303872061
    Quote Originally Posted by 5E5D5F44434A485F2D0 link=1303825503/3#3 date=1303870891
    Just got the Combi myself less than a week ago. Loving the coffee from it, and also the convenience of the combined grinder. The steam wand is a bit of a pain as noted in other threads but Ill sort that out one way or another. (Get an alternate wand/attachment, or get some more skill :) The problems are its too short (with the useless sleeve taken off) and you cant angle it up/down. Ill find the right technique for great steaming sooner or later.
    Thanks for posting snobb :)
    Indeed the combined grinder is a very nice feature!
    Let me know how you go with the milk and what you end up doing... Im a fan of my lattes so im interested in knowing how it goes for ya!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 5754564D4A434156240 link=1303825503/9#9 date=1303919290
    Quote Originally Posted by 223E263B27273D540 link=1303825503/4#4 date=1303872061
    Thanks for posting snobb :)
    Indeed the combined grinder is a very nice feature!
    Let me know how you go with the milk and what you end up doing... Im a fan of my lattes so im interested in knowing how it goes for ya!

Cheers
    Im also a milk coffee fan. Im sure practise will make perfect. Can see myself doing some sort of mod before too long though. Something for you to keep in mind. Chris who sold me the machine did a minor mod by bending (with my permission :) ) the wand to give me a more accommodating angle for obtaining the desired whirlpool effect when steaming.