Thread: EM6910 - filter jug in place of calc filter?

EM6910 - filter jug in place of calc filter?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I dont really want to buy $30 filters from sunbeam, so Im wondering if I just used a brita style filter jug will this remove the need for the anti calc filters (in conjunction with regular decalcing)?

Caffeine Junky

Re: EM6910 - filter jug in place of calc filter?

The use of Brita filters has been discussed on a number occassions, you can try a search using the function at the top of the page.

Essentially the Brita filters have a pretty limited capacity to remove calcium and other scale causing chemicals.* Depending on the amount of ions in your tap/source water this capacity could be lost after only a few litres.* If you live in Melbourne which generally has very soft water, it may be fine.

The Sunbeam filters can be recharged, again you can search for the method to do this.

I have filtration system connected to my kitchen sink. After the filters are around 3 months old I tend to check the water with hardness test strips which are quite cheap, especially if bought in bulk. I guess in theory you could test the water coming out of the group on your Sunbeam for hardess.

Thanks, Ill steer clear of a filter jug then.

I did do a search but I must have been using the wrong terms...

I also did a search re recharging the filter but cant find overly specific information...

I did find one post that said to soak it for 4-8 hours in "salty" water - how much salt?

Is a filter infinitely rechargeable - or is this something that can only be done a few times with decreasing efficacy?

Caffeine Junky

From what I remember a couple of tablespoons in a tall galss.

No idea how many times they can be recharged, I would imagine thered be a limited number of times.

Eventually they go a dirty yellow colour, Id imagine you want to recharge before they go like that, not 6 months after theyve turned yellow.

A simple & accurate way to check would be with water hardness test strips. Many sponsors sell them but you could also probably get them from any pool supply store.

Thanks mate, I think I might have some strips lying around actually, Ill do some experimenting...

Replacing the filter is just a normal part of the cost of enjoying great coffee. $30pa is no big deal :o