Thread: Lelit - Filter basket getting stuck

Lelit - Filter basket getting stuck

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. Im having an issue with my new Lelit machine. The filter basket gets stuck in the group head fairly often, requiring some effort to extract. I need to use fingers, a teaspoon or something similar to extract it. This is annoying and potentially damaging to the unit. Has anyone else had this issue, and is there an easy fix? Thanks.

Re: Lelit - Filter basket getting stuck

Really? :o

Is it the basket that came with the Lelit from new?

Double or single basket?

Im still surprised :o

Quote Originally Posted by 362A322F333329400 link=1304245909/0#0 date=1304245909
    Hi all. Im having an issue with my new Lelit machine. The filter basket gets stuck in the group head fairly often, requiring some effort to extract. I need to use fingers, a teaspoon or something similar to extract it. This is annoying and potentially damaging to the unit. Has anyone else had this issue, and is there an easy fix? Thanks.
    Gday "snobb... :)

Does this happen after leaving the Group Handle in place while the machine is cooling down, or just when the machine is warming up?

Mal.

I had that problem with my old Saeco, but then the saeco had no spring to retain the basket, and it got a lot of build up around the group head.

Only thing I can think of here is if your spring is missing?, or your letting the group head get a lot of grinds build up from not enough cleaning?, or just overdosing so much its building up and sticking?, possibly also with no tamping making that worse.

I have the combi and occasionally get this, doesnt take too much force to move but it just awkward. Once you crack the seal the basket just drops out, full of hot grounds...
    Its like the basket is getting stuck to the seal. Bit of a noob question, but should there be some type of lube up there? cos I think that would fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by 210A100B0C13630 link=1304245909/3#3 date=1304258927
    I had that problem with my old Saeco, but then the saeco had no spring to retain the basket, and it got a lot of build up around the group head.

Only thing I can think of here is if your spring is missing?, or your letting the group head get a lot of grinds build up from not enough cleaning?, or just overdosing so much its building up and sticking?, possibly also with no tamping making that worse.
    Thanks for responding. I should have said this only happens when the pf is empty. It first happened days after getting the machine so cleaning isnt an issue imo. When it does come out, there are no grinds to speak of. I back flush daily (just water). The spring is in place, perhaps I need to manipulate it a bit? Thanks again.

Mal, Good question, Ill take more notice and report back.

adoom, For me it only happens with an empty basket. I feel its the spring not holding the basket in place strongly enough.

trentski, Yes the original basket (single* ::))

chris, thanks, I do flush once all coffees are done for the day. Will do as you suggest.

Its just that its happening most times, otherwise I wouldnt worry. i.e. its a minor pain* :) Thanks for all the tips.

TC

Hello snobb,

All machines can do that at times. If you need to apply any force to remove the basket from the portafilter, its fine. If not, check that the spring is in its groove and retaining the basket correctly.

After a shot, clean up and lock the portafilter in gently and that will be the end of your issues ;)

Cheers

Chris

It appears to happen when things are cold. Seems ok if I let things warm up a bit before removing the pf :)

A couple of tips for you, which may or may not be relevant, too:-

1. Always wipe the rim of the group handle (I do mine with my finger) around the basket before putting it in the machine to get rid of any stray grinds. Any grinds that sit up against the seal tend to make the basket stick sometimes - the heat making the oil coming out of the coffee, perhaps and then solidifying once the machine is cold? Thats my theory, anyway!

2. Get yourself a group head brush and, at least once a day, give the group head seal (at the top surrounding the shower screen) a wipe around and get any grinds that may have been forced up there out of the group head. I tend to do it after every couple of shots, depending on how many coffees Im making in a day. I also, give my group head seal a good clean with my steam cleaner wand-doohicky once a week as well just for good measure, but used to just use a microfibre cloth and give it good wipe around with my fingernail jammed in when I did my weekly clean.

Cheers
    Di

Quote Originally Posted by 517660726A190 link=1304245909/9#9 date=1304336680
    A couple of tips for you, which may or may not be relevant, too:-

1.* Always wipe the rim of the group handle (I do mine with my finger) around the basket before putting it in the machine to get rid of any stray grinds.* Any grinds that sit up against the seal tend to make the basket stick sometimes - the heat making the oil coming out of the coffee, perhaps and then solidifying once the machine is cold?* Thats my theory, anyway!

2.* Get yourself a group head brush and, at least once a day, give the group head seal (at the top surrounding the shower screen) a wipe around and get any grinds that may have been forced up there out of the group head.* I tend to do it after every couple of shots, depending on how many coffees Im making in a day.* I also, give my group head seal a good clean with my steam cleaner wand-doohicky once a week as well just for good measure, but used to just use a microfibre cloth and give it good wipe around with my fingernail jammed in when I did my weekly clean.

Cheers
    Di
    Yep, A already do, B Im currently using a microfibre cloth as well, but was going to get a brush. I dont have the courage to pull bits out of my new machine just yet but Im sure itd be no drama. Thanks Di. :)