Thread: Lelit Combi Downfalls?

Lelit Combi Downfalls?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey All CSers

Im leaning more and more towards opening my wallet and purchasing myself a Lelit Combit... Just before I do this however, for those of you with any experience with this machines, Ive got a couple questions...

A) How long does it take for the machine to warm up? (approx)

B) How long after making a shot do you have to wait to be able to froth your milk? (this is kind of a big deal)

C) How loud is the machine during use (average / louder - although not that big of a deal, I just dont want to be using a jet engine is all)

D) The Milk... Im a fan of my milk... Whats the milk like? Hows the wand? Easy to use or difficult?

If I think of any more, Ill post them up :)
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated though!!!

Re: Lelit Combi Downfalls?

Quote Originally Posted by 585B5942454C4E592B0 link=1304262422/0#0 date=1304262422
    Hey All CSers

Im leaning more and more towards opening my wallet and purchasing myself a Lelit Combit... Just before I do this however, for those of you with any experience with this machines, Ive got a couple questions...

A) How long does it take for the machine to warm up? (approx)

B) How long after making a shot do you have to wait to be able to froth your milk? (this is kind of a big deal)

C) How loud is the machine during use (average / louder - although not that big of a deal, I just dont want to be using a jet engine is all)

D) The Milk... Im a fan of my milk... Whats the milk like? Hows the wand? Easy to use or difficult?

If I think of any more, Ill post them up* :)
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated though!!!
    A The light goes off less than a minute after turning on, after that its up to you as to how long you think you should wait :)

B less than a minute

C a bit louder than what I was used to with an inferior machine but not too bad

D can get great milk dependant on skill. Wand is annoyingly short with the enhancer removed, and its difficult to angle it right. See thread devoted to this issue.

Still love the machine 8-)

Ive got a Quaha Nepolitana, which is almost exactly the same as a Lelit, as my take-away machine.

(a) I would recommend that anyone leave this machine for at least 15 minutes to warm up before making a coffee. They are not a kettle, and all the internal parts need to warm up sufficiently to make a coffee, including the group head. Try making a coffee before 15 minutes are up, and it wont be as nice as it could be.

(b) Its probably about a 30-45 second wait between switching it on to the steam function and being able to steam. Always flush the steam wand out first because there will be condensation in the steam wand that you need to get rid of first.

(c) No louder than any other coffee machine, really and a bit quieter than some. You have to accept a bit of noise with any coffee machine - its the nature of the beast. The grinder is probably the loudest part of it all but, once again, thats to be expected with a grinder.

(d) I find steaming the milk a breeze in my Quaha - in fact, a heck of a lot easier than either in my previous HX, the Maver, or my current HX, the NS Musica. I never fail to get perfectly textured milk on my Quaha, but am very hit and miss with my HXs. I think it might have something to do with the fact that the steam wand is fixed rather than on a ball joint and the fact that its a one hole tip rather than a two or four hole tip, so theres not the same room for moving around (and thus, error on my part!)

My mum wanted to get a better machine than she had and I pointed her in the direction of the Lelit Combi and she loves it. I would recommend them to anyone in a flash that was looking at a machine/grinder combo!

Cheers
    Di

Quote Originally Posted by 3E223A273B3B21480 link=1304262422/1#1 date=1304282417
    A The light goes off less than a minute after turning on, after that its up to you as to how long you think you should wait Smiley
    You should wait at least 20 minutes for the machine to come up to temp before you make espresso. There is a good article on the web with an example of espresso made with a "cold" machine and a "warm" machine, I think it was even a lelit that was used.

PM me for the link as it wasnt a sponsor site

Thanks everyone,
    After this, I still think this is the machine for me! :)
    Coffee2Di4, the Quaha Nepolitana, same price as Lelit? If its the same machine, but a little cheaper - hey who doesnt love a saving!?!?

Cheers :)

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 5556544F48414354260 link=1304262422/4#4 date=1304298640
    Thanks everyone,
    After this, I still think this is the machine for me! :)
    Coffee2Di4, the Quaha Nepolitana, same price as Lelit? If its the same machine, but a little cheaper - hey who doesnt love a saving!?!?

Cheers :)
    The Quaha is no longer sold, at least in Australia, not sure about elsewhere. It was being sold rebranded as the Nemox Dell Opera (or Nemox Fenice without the grinder) but Im not sure if these are still available.

The Lelit are now fairly widely available and well supported by some of our sponsors so I would recommend buying one of these. You dont want to run into future trouble with lack of support for the sake of a $50 saving, after all they are great value already.

Hi Springer - what CaffeineJunky said. There was a time when there were three machines running around that were essentially the same, but rebadged under different names - the Quaha Napoletana II, the Nemox Felice and the Lelit PL042 Combi. Of them all, only the Lelit is still available brand new, Im fairly sure.

And Id definitely recommend going through a Sponsor for one, just in case something goes wrong with it particularly while its within the warranty period.

Cheers
    Di

Caffeine Junky

Looks like a particular well known non-sponsor in Melbourne is selling the Mokitas again.* They have a reputation for very poor customer service, something I experienced personally when trying to source a spare part from them (in the end a fellow CSer came to the rescue).*

Talk Coffee, Cuppacoffee and JetBlack all sell the Lelits and all have a reputation for excellent post-sale service (apologies if I have missed any sponsors).*