Thread: em6910 problems

em6910 problems

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey everyone,
    Just bought a secondhand em6910 and em0480 from ebay and got it set up today. It is my first coffee machine, but I am having trouble pouring anywhere near a decent shot. Basically, not matter what Ive tried, my shots are constantly under-extracted. Even grinding on the lowest setting and tamping as hard as I can, the pressure guage doesnt get anywhere near where Sunbeam say is optimal.

My coffee beans are from the supermarket I might add. I was planning on getting some fresh beans on the weekend but I wanted to test out my new toy earlier than that.

Any help you could give me would be great.

Re: em6910 problems

Quote Originally Posted by 7662647F6E170 link=1304389611/0#0 date=1304389611
    My coffee beans are from the supermarket
    Thats the problem right there.

You WILL NOT get a decent shot from those beans.

The older beans get the finer you have to grind.
    At some point they will be so old you cant grind any finer and the water will still gush through.
    Your supermarket beans probably passed that point months ago.

Where are you?
    (please update your profile)

Welcome!!

What grinder are you using?* Supermarket beans can be very stale, which could be causing the quick pour.

But I would have thought with a decent grinder you should be able to grind fine enough to choke the machine with even stale beans.

Are you dosing enough?

Cheers

Edit - didnt see the above prior to posting. Just remembered I did have some decaf beans that were very old, and on the built in grinder on the Nemox (like a Lelit Combi) even on the finest setting the pour was quicker than it should have been.

The EM6910 needs to be updosed but NOT overdosed).

I weigh 21gms for a double and NEVER use the baskets with the false floor.* A decent grinder helps somewhat* ;)

Did you get 4 different filter baskets with the 6910? You should have a single shot, single floor filter, a single shot dual floor filter, a double shot single floor filter & a double shot dual floor filter. The single shot filters are smaller than the double shot ones. The single floor filters are designed to make a good shot with fresh roasted, freshly ground beans. Using supermarket beans you should get much better results with the dual floor filters - these are designed to make up for the stale beans. I have never been able to get anything drinkable from supermarket coffee with the single floor filters, but can make quite a nice coffee from these beans (or pre-ground "bricks") with the dual floor filters. Using freshly roasted beans and grinding just before use (with the 0480 grinder, set to around 10) the single floor filters work great.
    You can tell if its a single or dual floor filter by holding it up to the light & looking through the filter - if you see light through many holes its a single floor, if you dont see any light its a dual floor (or its a blocked up single floor....).
    Good luck.
    Geoff

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I will have to get some fresh beans and then see how I go. Im from Melbourne by the way, and Ill update my profile soon. If anybody knows where I can get some fresh roasted beans in the south-east region it would be great. Do people buy coffee online as well or will it be stale by the time it arrives?

I have been using the single floor filter, not the double. Can someone explain to me the meaning of updosing and overdosing?

Thanks

How far South East are you?

I live in Altona and work in Camberwell and usually go to Di Bella in Nth Melbourne for beans.

There are a few options for mail order and they arrive usually arrive within a couple of days of being roasted so you wont need to worry about them going stale before you get them.

Have a look at the link to Beanbay on the top left of the screen 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 7E6A6C77661F0 link=1304389611/5#5 date=1304489313
    Can someone explain to me the meaning of updosing and overdosing?
    A "normal" dose for a double on most machines is usually around 14gms. The EM6910 needs about half as much again to produce a great coffee. That is called updosing.

Overdosing is exceeding the limits of your machine and can result in damage to the collar >:(