Thread: Silvia with Auber PID Problem

Silvia with Auber PID Problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, first post but long time reader.

I have a Silvia Ive had for a few years that I purchased with the Auber PID mod. I "think" it has steam control also as I vaguely remember being able to set a setpoint for the steam temperature.

The problem is, I had a play around this morning with the brew temperature setpoint, and in the process have managed to fudge the settings I think. I have long lost the instructions I received from the original seller, which I dont think were standard instructions / settings.

In any case, everything is working perfectly except for when I try and heat up for steam. Turn the machine on and it heats up to 109 C. It brews on the timer. I normally then hit the steam switch, and it would get to around 135 C. It is not heating at all at this point past the normal setpoint (109C).

Is it possible I have changed a setting in the Auber or has something gone wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I think it might be time for a trade up. ::)

Re: Silvia with Auber PID Problem

If it is heating to brew temp, it is either the pid, or if you still have the original stream thermostat, that may have failed.

I have an auber manual on the computer at home (still at work so cant check right now), but the manuals are available on the web. Itll be an auber SYL (SYL 1512 maybe). Have a look and if you cant find one, pm me your email and Ill send it to you.

Thanks for the offer of help. Much appreciated.
    I emailed Auber at the same time as posting here yesterday and this morning had an email from them with suggestions, and the manuals.

Happy to see we are back in action and it was just a misconfiguration with the 1512B PID.

Ill attach the files here for anyone else in future looking for them.

Thanks again.

The operation manual for the kit was one Ive not seen before. Not only very well written, but informative for users of other PIDed espresso machines.

Interesting to see the steam control is handled the same way as Firepower documented for his Gaggia and uses simple on/off driven by the alarm output. They confirm there would be no benefit in a dual setpoint PID for a machine that struggles to maintain temp while steaming.