Thread: Gaggia Classic Journey...

Gaggia Classic Journey...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi folks,
    newbie here looking for some advice.

Im actually bidding on Ebay for a second hand gaggia Classic at the moment, but I can buy a new one for $559 delivered, is that a good price and* would this machine suit a Coffee newbie like myself.

Great site btw.

Re: Cinta Kopi

Cheapest Ive seen new ones for was $499 at Hardly Normal a month or so back. $559 seems quite good.

Whether it would suit you depends on what you want. If you want to just press a button
    and have coffee ground and made for you, it is not a good choice. It is a manual machine and has a small boiler so quick to heat up and economical to run, but not good if you need to make several milk drinks back to back. If you only drink coffee with no milk it is excellent. For milk steaming one or two drinks it is also fine.

Mine was made in 1994 and is still going strong, parts all still available - Id consider them reliable.

Hope that helps. Feel free to post more info and ask more questions.

It does help especially that you have personal experience and find them reliable, that seems to be a general consensus., except that you say you saw them at Hardly Normal for $499 ???

I do want a manual and its only for me basically, perhaps the occasional visitor.

Thanks

What about a Sunbeam Arista ... on special at a major retail outlet ...
    The biding on Ebay looks like going over the top for a second hand machine! {Gagia Classic}

Sunbeam Arista

sorry to bump my post ...

The biding on Ebay looks like going over the top for a second hand machine! {Gagiga Classic}
    I pulled out due to some uncertainty over its condition.

Quote Originally Posted by 4A60677D685642667960090 link=1305027437/4#4 date=1305109285
    This isnt really a Mid-Range machine CK and I would suggest opening a new thread in the Entry Level category.... :)

Mal.

thanks and apologies for being in the wrong thread, Im learning.

No biggie mate. Just that you will attract members who own a similar machine in that category and therefore better able to help you out... :)

Cheerio,
    Mal.

After my experience with Ebay Im on the verge of ordering a new Gaggia Classic tomorrow, hopefully they still have stock ...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B535D55574D4D515D553E0 link=1305027437/1#1 date=1305028044
    Cheapest Ive seen new ones for was $499 at Hardly Normal a month or so back. $559 seems quite good.
    Would you mind sending me a PM with the store address, Ill give them a call and see if they still have them, you never know unless you ask ...

It was a junk mail flyer, one of those weekly deals. Thinking back, it may even have been Myer or D J

With the right approach, you can always negotiate a deal with your local store. You just have to be willing to walk away if they arent willing to sell for the price you offer.

Im currently doing that with a couple of online dealers for the Gaggia ...

There is one advertised offer Interstate for $559 delivered with Insurance, perhaps Its wishful thinking I might be able to better that, its the Scottish blood in me . ::)

Generally with a store like HN, if you mention that you saw it advertised recently @ $499, chances are theyll consider the same offer for you, particularly if the same stock is still held.* Thats my experience with such a store, if you get the right salesperson, and provided the special mentioned didnt involve supplier credits to allow the low price etc.

The simple fact is, no matter how cheap the special is, its always pretty safe to assume the store is still making some money on the item, with few exceptions such as genuine end of model/last of stock clearance etc.

Anyway, all that is a long-winded way of saying, if your local HN/DJ/Good Guys type has stock of the machine youre after, go in and mention you saw it recently at $499 and see if they can offer similar.* No harm in trying.

Your absolutely right of course ...

Ive just bit the bullet and ordered a new Gaggia Classic from NSW, free delivery/Insurance and a 250 Ml bottle of descaler thrown in, though he wouldnt come at some sample coffee thrown in as well* *:(*
    living in Indonesia for some years hasnt improved my bargaining skills that much apparently ...* ;D
    Nice guy, patient and helpful, and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend him to anyone if asked.

... and a two year warranty with a service centre close to me.

TC

Me thinks that perhaps this thread may need to be renamed. Otherwise, well all want a thread named after us. Some who have moved on might need about 5 threads-* to cover any alters* *;D

yeah Chris it was getting quite tiresome.. ::)

Naming a thread properly ...

Bugger, i just realised that Im not putting in a subject line ...sorry folks bear with me the site format is completely different to what Im used to, and Im not too bright! ... ::)

Tiresome

they do say that patience is a virtue, especially with newbies ... ;D