Thread: EM6910 Steam half power and pressure gauge out of alignment

Latte Lament

EM6910 Steam half power and pressure gauge out of alignment

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone

I just managed to get hold of another EM6910 today for cheap, and surprise its been abused. I need some help to fix the Steam! (I want to fix it up and give it to my mate).

I have had great success thanks to AM (now UM?) last time with my pressure gauge not working on my other EM6910.

This machine (18months old apparently) pulls shots fine, the hot water tap works and the three way valve is working well.

The problem:
    The steam side is not so good, It sputters at first, then gets to about half power.
    So the pump is working, and the steam is hot, which i think means its not the pump or the coil?

I think its blocked because THE GAUGE IS FUNNY* :o . It works but is out of alignment, as the needle sits on the 1/4 mark (9 oclock).
    Which I think indicates heaps of coffee fines/crap in the steam lines?

Can someone please confirm the diagnosis, and give me some advice on how to fix it?* *;D

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

Re: EM6910 Steam half power and pressure gauge out of alignment

I wouldnt worry about the gauge too much (I really dont use mine) - just teach your mate about grinding, and tamping and getting a shot in about 30 secs.

The steam side sounds like it needs a good clean. I use "Clean Machine" triple action - you might need to do it more than once and maybe at a higher concentration than standard. Good idea to do it outside or at least under the range hood.

HTH

The steam delivery is completely separate to the pressure gauge. The pressure gauge is measuring only pressure for pulling a shot, not the steam pressure. If you want to measure if your steam wand is running at full power you should measure the steam output over a set time (there was discussion on here a month or so about it). AM had a standard to aim for, he recommended running the steam into a cup for 60 seconds and there was a set amount of mls you should get, i cant remember what it was, you may have to do a search. But this only really measures how wet the steam is, not how strong it is.

If your gauge is getting stuck at 9 oclock then that is a separate issue and flushing the main head with different chemicals should cure it. Ive found the best results with SBs liquid descaler. Warm the system up, flush it though but dont rinse, turn system off and let the descaler sit over night, warm the system up in the morning and flush.

Latte Lament

Thanks for the input guys. But I have another sunbeam and the steam is definitely broken, its not the settings.

I know the steam has its own pump but if Im not mistaken I think its connected to the pressure release valve at the drip tray, and so is the gauge. I know this machine had its brew thermopump replaced so dont know if it was due to the previous owner clogging it all up or not.

So does anyone have a procedure to clean out the steam lines and what chemicals to use - is cafetto ok for the steam lines on wettest and lowest heat settings?

Thanks guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by 5A4651445F5B5345360 link=1305264987/3#3 date=1305465345
    So does anyone have a procedure to clean out the steam lines and what chemicals to use - is cafetto ok for the steam lines on wettest and lowest heat settings?
    Im no expert but if you search this site youll find the procedure.

You need a descaler for the steam lines.

Latte Lament

Hey does anyone know if cafetto vanish descaler is safe for the EM6910 (aluminum thermoblocks), and ok to run through the steam wand?

I want to try something else form the sunbeam tablets, that actually dissolves the gunk...
    Hopefully some heavy duty stuff will clear the steam lines...

Im a fan of Bombora triple action cleaner for the steam line, have used it before successfully. Theres posts around discussing its use.

Quote Originally Posted by 504C5B4E5551594F3C0 link=1305264987/5#5 date=1305522764
    Hey does anyone know if cafetto vanish descaler is safe for the EM6910 (aluminum thermoblocks), and ok to run through the steam wand?

I want to try something else form the sunbeam tablets, that actually dissolves the gunk...
    Hopefully some heavy duty stuff will clear the steam lines...
    The liner in the Sunbeam is stainless steel the aluminium should not be in contact with the descaler. Sunbeam have their own descaler but there are other threads here about that look them up and you should find what you are after.

Latte Lament

Thanks Stan, Im glad to hear that the Vanish Descaler should be fine, due to the stainless steel lining.

I have been doing some reading and it appears the cafetto stuff is good value and does the job.
    I think i am going to go with the following setup:

1. Cafetto Vanish Descaler 480grams
    - to run through the machine: water tap, group & steam arm.

2. Cafetto Espresso clean 1kg
    - To backflush the grouphead and clean the PF, shower screens etc.

That should cover everything i think.
    Coffeeparts have awesome prices so I think i will order the product through them.

Let me know if i have missed anything or got something wrong. Thanks again guys. ;)

I would also check with Coffeeparts if you want another opinion - I asked about descaling the steam side of the SB and they gave quite a detailed answer (cant find it sorry!) and it wasnt the most expensive product they sell ;). I have used the triple action mentioned above on a dud machine with success. Good luck!