Thread: newbie silvia question

newbie silvia question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    my silvia arrived this morning and i followed all the setup steps and even waited 20 mins for the group to heat up.

my first attempt resulted in water dribbling down the group handle. is it just that i probably didnt have it tight enough?

my grinder is a DeLonghi KG100 (breville smart grinder on the way) and i had it at its finest setting. i read here about choking machines with really fine grinds, but that not whats happening here is it?

it was still the best expresso ive ever made at home and i cant wait to get better at this ;D

ill try again at lunch but i thought id ask here too as ive been reading and learning heaps from the threads here over the last few days 8-)

Re: newbie silvia question

Assuming it is a new machine, then it sounds like you didnt lock the portafilter into the group head tight enough.

It should lock in at least so it is sitting straight out of the machine or maybe a little to the right.

Maybe you put too much into the basket. A good rule to start with is you want just enough that you can lock the portafilter in and a 5 cent piece rested on top of the tamped coffee grounds will leave a slight impression but not be mashed into the puck (just lock and unlock, dont pour a shot).

There needs to be enough room for the coffee to expand when it is exposed to the hot water.

good luck

Sounds like too much coffee in the basket, I get the same problem when I over dose. Better to reduce the amount of coffee and adjust the grind to give the desired flow rate.
    Silvia takes a while to get to know but the experience is well worthwhile. Had mine for 10 years and still producing great coffee.
    Enjoy

thanks for those tips. i had an indentation of the screw in the puck, so ill put less in next time.

You should have an indentation of the screw head in your puck.

Check how far you can lock the handle into the group when it is empty and you should be able to lock it in the same when full. Without holding the machine down with one hand and leaning on the handle with your shoulder ;)

thanks trentski, i had a look this time at how far across it went empty and i had no problem when i repeated that with the coffee in it. it was a little to the right, but i had it straight yesterday

forgot to prewarm the cup this morning.. theres a lot to remember while being pre-coffee..

So no drips then?

Quote Originally Posted by 69646065686F626D6E746572010 link=1305677889/5#5 date=1305756740
    forgot to prewarm the cup this morning.. theres a lot to remember while being pre-coffee..
    Do some reading on temperature surfing for the Silvia. Its easier than it looks and you can use that water to pre heat your cups.

yup, already doing that :)
    i watched a youtube of someone showing the technique and also using a plastic container to catch the water and not put so much in the (shallow) drip tray, especially in rinsing afterwards. ill adjust to use my cup instead when getting it ready.

ive got an auber pid on order too ;D

i had two coffees this morning, i couldnt resist. they are so much better than what i was making before..

Y

You will love the auber pid i do brings the best out of the Silvia, a little bit of pain wiring one up, but in the end its worth every penny did you get the steamer control as well because that makes it even better, micro-foam all the time.
    Enjoy

yeah i got the steam control/timer with blue led (it just seemed cooler)