Thread: Pulling shots on a Lelit PL041...

Pulling shots on a Lelit PL041...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After having owned my Lelit for maybe a month or so, Im becoming curious as to what techniques people are using to pull shots on this machine?.

I ask mainly because Im having some interesting findings on the sort of shots it will pull for me.

Observations of what I have been doing, mainly I first thought it choked rather easily, though when I went looking for reasons, found "filling" the basket does a very large shot, I think the single will hold damn near a double.

The only problem with that is the flavor of such an up-dosed shot seemed inconsistent, and muddy or something like that, but then as I reduced dose you get very light coloured shots, which worried me.

Fast forward to my latest batch of coffee, and I did some more reading around finding some people seem to say the machine does better shots with less dose, and much finer grind, so Im now weighing my dose.

Most recent single shots, like 7-9 gram, about 3 clicks finer on the sunbeam grinder, pour about the right time, taste cleaner/milder, but on the concern side pour very light in colour, and you end up with a bit of a soggy puck, as the dose wont come close to touching the shower screen.

Did any of that make sense to anyone?, either way with all the shot weirdness Im having, its actually making me wonder if Id been happier with something different, though to be fair I could be having simular issues with anything.

Re: Pulling shots on a Lelit PL041...

Ok, this is based only on my experience with a Lelit PL041EM, and a sunbeam EM0480, which was then replaced with a Mazzer Super Jolly.

1) Give up on the single while youre learning - while it is a good single basket, its very difficult to obtain consistency.
    2) The EM0480 you can easily go from OK shot to choking on this machine in one click. This can mean as the coffee is ageing (and generally you want to grind finer as it loses freshness), you will find yourself searching for a spot between two clicks.
    3) On a double, aim for around an 18g puck - seems to be most consistent (for me)
    4) Get two measuring cups and split the shot in two. This will a) make sure you are getting pretty close to the right amount and b) make sure you are tamping evenly.

Note point 2 has been solved for me completely since upgrading my grinder.

Temperature is the other thing that can affect the shot considerably, as the temp varies a lot, and I feel it runs a touch cool (but this probably varies from machine to machine). Some people wait until the light turns off, then back on to ensure its at a stable temperature before pulling their shot. I have a different technique, but dont think its something that will help you initially.

Quote Originally Posted by 7B64667C6570676671090 link=1305785858/1#1 date=1305801863
    1) Give up on the single while youre learning - while it is a good single basket, its very difficult to obtain consistency.
    2) The EM0480 you can easily go from OK shot to choking on this machine in one click. This can mean as the coffee is ageing (and generally you want to grind finer as it loses freshness), you will find yourself searching for a spot between two clicks.
    3) On a double, aim for around an 18g puck - seems to be most consistent (for me)
    4) Get two measuring cups and split the shot in two. This will a) make sure you are getting pretty close to the right amount and b) make sure you are tamping evenly.
    What he said.

A bottomless PF helps with point 4. I got a ridgless 18g synesso basket with mine and it is all I use.

You could spend 2 grand on a different machine but you would get nowhere with that grinder.

I went from the em0480 to the breville smart grinder and the difference is huge. I had a Rocky inbetween the two and would rather the smart grinder regardless of price difference.

Yeah those clicks on a sunbeam feel a mile wide at times.

I did some doubles, they do just work better, though its a pain if you only want singles, chewing through that much extra coffee.

Got to really make the best of the single basket somehow, right now Im back up to 11-12g single basket shots, less than a 10g shot in the single just does not seem to work real well for me.

A 12g single aint bad, just inconstant like mentioned, I feel maybe a better grind would help, dont know, perhaps Ill budget for a Breville grinder soon.