Thread: La Pavoni Pro Lever: refurb

La Pavoni Pro Lever: refurb

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2nd hand La Pavoni Pro lever, single switch, 51mm basket.

So after excitedly unpacking my new purchase i had some difficulty pulling shots.* I soon found that under pressure, water was leaking back into the boiler.* Suspecting a piston gasket replacement was needed i disassembled her and to my dismay found the piston group damaged per image.*

It looks like it has simply crumbled over time/misuse, however its very odd in that most of the gaskets in the machine look to be quite new.* Im assuming at some point they have been replaced and someone has damaged the piston group in the process.

Urgh.

Ive found a supplier and am waiting to hear back on whether they have this part and how much its going to damage the wallet.* I figure while im at it i will change out all the seals as well.

However, the power switch is apparently supposed to light up (can someone confirm this for me?) and it doesnt.* Its not due to the reset switch underneath as far as i can tell (reset switch doesnt depress at all). Is it simple enough to install a new switch and what specifications would i be looking for? Depending on the cost of a stock replacement switch, i may try and find a cheaper option locally.

Cheers

Ruks

xix

Re: La Pavoni Pro Lever: refurb

Sent you a Pm bro, let me know if I can help at all.

So, a much belated update on this.

Soon after posting the above i bought a complete set of new seals and a new brass piston head.

I initially only installed the new brass piston and a new group head/boiler seal, reusing the old gaskets as they still in reasonable nick.* Even though I had the complete set, i seem to have some hoarding tendencies!

For the past month the coffee has been alright.* Crema has not been amazing and have had regular sour shots, or bitter ones due to (i thought) the grouphead heating issues inherent with the pavoni.

Recently there had been a lot of steam leaking from the group head so i decided to finally fit the rest of the new seals and gaskets.

Holy nelly....what have i been putting up with for the last month and a bit?!?!* Just pulled my first shot with everything in and wow.* It was a completely different shot to anything ive experienced before.

A full 20ml shot of crema, setttling out to a nice 1cm crema with red/brown coloring and tiger stripes!!!

I quite literately danced for joy.* I was on the verge of getting rid of the pavoni due to the substandard pours, but now this machine will be staying in the family and going to my kids in the very VERY distant future.

Moral of the story, dont be a stingy bastard and replace all the gaskets if you think something is even the slightest bit off with a pavoni.

Sorry for the wall of text* :D

Quote Originally Posted by 587F617F6E650A0 link=1305954978/2#2 date=1310793068

Sorry for the wall of text* :D
    you should be sorry........

THERE ARE NO PICTURES !!!

heheh, sorry, thats my bad.

So we have the Pavoni completely disassembled in all its dirty glory, old broken piston vs new brass piston and all clean n shiny just before re-assembly.*

and final product.

The gaskets in the pictures are actually the old ones. i found that the new gaskets did not sit flush like the old. Rather the outer lip protruded from the brass piston head and i suppose create a better seal against the water/steam pressure.