Thread: Full to Semi Auto Machines - Will it make a difference...??

Full to Semi Auto Machines - Will it make a difference...??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,
    We have a lazy mans coffee machine (DeLonghi Magnifica) and now that Im a coffee fan (in my mid 30s and just drinking coffee in the last 12 months!!). I was wanting something that made coffees a little closer to how they were meant to be served. I was thinking of the next step up, such as Breville BES860 or Sunbeam EM6910/ grinder ensemble. Question is, how much of a difference will there be to the coffee taste? My wife is keen for me to test the difference first, which is hard to do when you cant find a machine to try out. Thanks to whoever is interested in helping out a novice!! Cheers.

Re: Full to Semi Auto Machines - Will it make a difference...??

your also going to purchase FRESH beans from a good roaster to get the best from any machine.

it is also a learned skill to make good coffee, you need to invest time (and bean money) into to getting it right.

the 6910 / 180 package is quite capable and if bought "on sale" is good value

once you sort it out the "art" of making coffee the coffee will be much better than the auto machine, but if you dont invest the effort the coffee may not be any better....

welcome ot CS whats your location so we can recommend a sponsor etc

Agree - if you buy fresh beans, store them correctly and learn the skill/art of coffee making, a combo like the 6910/ grinder will serve you well and produce MUCH better coffee. My wife has a a VERY expensive auto machine at her work with reasonably fresh beans and wont use it - says it just produces horrible stuff. A lawyer mate of mine has a Nespresso setup and thinks its ok, but is always amazed at how yummy coffees produce on our 6910 taste and wishes he had the time to do it.

Having said all that, I still get it wrong sometimes and cant fool my wife with a sub-standard shot, so be prepared to get addicted to the never-ending hunt for coffee perfection! If youre near me Id be happy to give you a demo so you can form your own opinion :)

PS, if youre happy to wait a bit and are happy getting just released products and are happy to part with $1500, I would seriously consider the new double boiler offering from Breville. Also be aware that you still need to get a decent grinder (the sunbeam EMO480 or Brevilles smart grinder are OK starting points). Have fun!

Thanks maheel and pete39. Your advice has been considered carefully. Thanks for the demo offer, Ill keep it in mind if Im up that way.

We are currently sourcing out beans from Merlo and keep the beans in the sealed bag until needed. Any other advice to keep the beans fresh?

How effective is the Sunbeam milk frother, our DeLonghi can only be used with the froth assister, which produces wash suds, no micro froth in sight...(dont worry Ive tried everything, depth of steamer, movement, temp of milk, type of milk, fat content...)

Thanks all!

the only other thing you might consider with the beans is to keep them "cool" and out of sunlight. in the cupboard will do

try to buy what you will use over the next two weeks only, weekly if you are nearby to the merlo or other roasters but often our busy lifestyles means it can be hard to get there etc..... make sure your buying "fresh" some stockists of beans might have it sitting on their shelf a while (maybe months) as well.

(noticed your a bit out of Brisbane CBD)

the 6910 is not bad on the milk department, i have had / used one. Not super fast but more than adequate for the job. if you read plenty of posts you will find the few issues the 6910 has mostly with overdosing and grouphead wear. but with that understanding going in and keeping it clean and loved it should last a while.

if you said you were going to make 10 coffees a day every day then i would say invest more for a better machine.... so consider your usage but they are considered a very good machine for their price bracket by many here

the thermo blocks allow steam and espresso to be made at the same time no waiting like in single boiler machines.

Keeping beans in the bag with a one-way valve is good. Keep em away from light and cool (not in the fridge).

The 6910 can make really good micro-foam, but it does take a bit of experimenting and practice to get it right. It also helps if the jug is not too big (the one it comes with is ideal - much bigger and things get tricky). It also has a bit of a history with the steam side going bad, sometimes due to dud pumps (I had two replaced under warranty recently and got really pissed-off with the thing), sometimes due to users not keeping things clean. To give an idea of what you can do, below is a photo of a couple of flat whites I did recently (low fat milk, the left one has chocolate (for my wife)), and Im no big expert!