Thread: What machine next?

D_C

What machine next?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

Looking to take my coffees to the next level. Would appreciate peoples comments & advice on what machine to buy next.

Current set up over the past couple of years:
    - saeco via venezia & modded for tamper use (after the mod it drips a fair bit when heating up)
    - sunbeam cafe series burr grinder
    - I generally grind once a week
    - The beans I use mostly are Tobys Estate, Campos, Vittoria cafe blend, Lavazza blue
    - make 2-3 coffees each day & sometimes more on the weekends
    - I take my coffees with milk 90% of the time

Budget wise Im thinking around $1000 & I will probably sell my via venezia once I get the new machine :P

Have heard the Silvia/Lelit/Gee are good but is this a decent upgrade from where I am at currently? Good timing or bad, I just saw that breville have released a new machine* :o

Thanks for your time & responses* :)

TC

Re: What machine next?

Quote Originally Posted by 021905460 link=1306623284/0#0 date=1306623284
    Have heard the Silvia/Lelit/Gee are good but is this a decent upgrade from where I am at currently? Good timing or bad, I just saw that breville have released a new machine
    Hello D_C and welcome to CS!

The Breville is at a different level to these and will suit you well as you drink plenty of milky coffees. Id think it will save you for at least one bout of upgraditis.

Id sit on my hands and get the Breville. You will have to wait a month or so though. It will give you time to save the extra few hundy.

Cheers

Chris

D_C

Thanks Chris. I had a feeling the breville might be an option though with an RRP of $1500 it is a fair few beans more than the others.

Hahaha upgraditis now thats something we all have to watch out for ;D

Hey D_C,

I just had a look on the Breville website & couldnt fine a machine worth $1500. What is the model #. I have the same setup as you, I would suggest grinding your beans as needed instead of once or twice a week. ( there is plenty of info on CS about this).

Good luck,
    Shane

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 1A3D203C3726520 link=1306623284/3#3 date=1306628819
    Hey D_C,

I just had a look on the Breville website & couldnt fine a machine worth $1500. What is the model #. I have the same setup as you, I would suggest grinding your beans as needed instead of once or twice a week. ( there is plenty of info on CS about this).

Good luck,
    Shane
    See http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1306475432 guys ;)

Looking forward to when you have them in stock TC.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 78637F3C0 link=1306623284/0#0 date=1306623284
    Hi everyone, Looking to take my coffees to the next level. Would appreciate peoples comments & advice on what machine to buy next.
    Quote Originally Posted by 667D61220 link=1306623284/0#0 date=1306623284
    Have heard the Silvia/Lelit/Gee are good but is this a decent upgrade from where I am at currently?
    Hi D_C,

This is a pretty common enquiry (both in store and on this forum). We usually respond the same way each time "What would you like from the next level?" Better flavour, easier use, faster to make milk coffees, better reliability, better looking machine, ... all of the above?* ;D

The machines you have mentioned have their pros and cons so its about finding the best one for you. If budget is under $1,000 your short list looks reasonable - for one thing the machines your have mentioned have 3 way solenoid valves rather than the group head spring/seal of the Via Venezia (which could be the source of your leak ...).

You can definitely come up with a short list posting this type of question on the forum, but if you can get in to a sponsor for the final evaluation you might avoid making the mistake of buying someone elses ideal machine, rather your own. :)

charlie

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4D6273456B66646C44666162070 link=1306623284/6#6 date=1306724789
    but if you can get in to a sponsor for the final evaluation you might avoid making the mistake of buying someone elses ideal machine, rather your own.

charlie
    Wise words Charlie. Thats what its all about... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

D_C

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will keep my eyes on the breville when it hits the streets & also pop into one or two of the vendors store for a visit & play.

Just came across a thread mentioning a screen screw mod for the VV? This might be something I can try in the mean time...