Thread: Sunbeam em6910 vs Breville 800es

Sunbeam em6910 vs Breville 800es

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Now I realise that the Breville is under $500 RRP but the Sunbeam is over so I thought this was the more relevant thread.

Ive currently got an 800es which Im very happy with but the power switch is getting a bit dodgy and as the machine is nearly 4 years old Im starting to look around for a replacement for when it stops working.

Is it worth spending the extra money to get the Sunbeam em6910 over another 800es? Im not considering the bes820 as Ive read that its basically got the same internals as the 800es with the gimmicky features added on. Although if thats incorrect I would consider it also.

I did have an em5900 for a while (2nd hand) but I was not entirely happy with it, I also had an Ikon (brand new) which I was very unhappy with (I just could not get good froth no matter what I tried). So Ive had negative experiences with both brands but am still open minded.

One thing Ive noticed which I see as an opportunity and/or worry is that on eBay the Sunbeams seem to sell at much bigger discounts to RRP than do the Brevilles which seem to sell for consistently higher prices. Why is that? I would have thought if anything that Sunbeam have marketed themselves as more upmarket than Breville.

Re: Sunbeam em6910 vs Breville 800es

I have a Sunbeam EM6910.
    I use only filtered water (the inbuilt filter hasnt needed changing as the water is of good quality), but the steam pump went after about 10 months. It took about 2 months to get repaired as there was such a demand for the job to be done there werent any replacement units in Australia.

I had it home and working for about a month when the espresso pump lost power.

The pumps have a 5 year warranty - great because youll need it to have the pumps replaced regularly. Look around and I think youll find though the Sunbeams do a nice job (thats what got me in), the reliability of the Sunbeams just isnt there.

Right now I think Big W have the 6910 for under $500 (Online special) if you already have a grinder.* I had my 6900 for over 5 years and only broke down once though the last time it was major.* Good machine when it works though.

I have both, the 820 and the 6910
    The 6910 is a much better machine, better shots, much better steam and the ability to do both at the same time.
    Easily worth the extra bucks.

Thanks for the feedback people.

I will bide my time and pounce on an EM6910 when the price is right. It would be nice to try a different machine to the 800es and see what I can do with it. I just hope I dont end up with an unreliable one like some people have!

For those reading this who may not know, you can pick up factory seconds from the official Sunbeam factory outlet at 30% off RRP. I got an EM0480 grinder 3 weeks ago for $139 and its been excellent, an infinitely better grinder than the Breville BCG450 I already had.

Sunbeam runs promotions for mothers and fathers day as well as some parts of the year when they offer the free EM480 grinder with the EM6910.

You could look at getting this and keeping one as a back up or sell/give away one. The back up one you can use for plunger, pourover or syphon methods which require a coarser grind, if you want.

Gary at G