Thread: PID Silvia rumbles

PID Silvia rumbles

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    i installed an auber preinfusion +steam PID in my silvia this week. everything seemed to be done ok and it works fine, except that when i set to steam ive had it start to rumble when it gets up to the off temp (140c) and ive had to press the reset switch twice as its cut in while heating up to steam temp.

im thinking that maybe theres a delay in the temp sensor (not enough paste/pressure) reading the temp and the boiler is getting too hot?

its hitting about 145c after the element is turned off.

the brew temp seems about right, by look and taste anyway

perhaps i should measure the water temp post group? ive got a temp/multi meter that i got from this site for measuring my popper roasting, but i dont have much else in the way of equipment.

i had no problems before i put the PID in.

any other thoughts?

cheers,
    phil.

Re: PID Silvia rumbles

it will always overshoot when ramping up to temp, not a problem with steam temp as its not critical as brew temp. anything between 135C to 150C should be ok, I have a basic PID and use alarm set point for steam, its just on or off as it passes 150C , but boiler temp swings between 140C to 160C, but at least i can choose temp and it less swing than use steam thermostat.

im not worried about the variance, but the fact that its tripping the safety cut out (which means taking off the top to press the reset switch on the boiler)

Try dropping the steam temp 5 degrees. You can reduce the overshoot by tweaking the P, I, D parameters, but as it has probably been optimised for a silvia already if you bought it as a kit, just tweaking steam temp is a safer thing to start with. As FP says steam temp is not as critical as brew temp.

thanks, ill give that a go

just changed the settings to turn off at 135c, it still peaked at 150c, but no rumble or cut out! thanks

where is your thermo couple located?

Quote Originally Posted by 7C7175707D7A77787B617067140 link=1307604953/5#5 date=1307615254
    just changed the settings to turn off at 135c, it still peaked at 150c, but no rumble or cut out! thanks
    Is the Steam temperature being controlled via the PID function or just On/Off via an alarm output?

You shouldnt be getting this degree of overshoot if the PID function is in control.... :-?

Mal.

the sensor is located in the same spot as the origial brew sensor. in steam mode its a simple on/off rather than PID. the original off temp was 140 and the on temp was 139, ive moved them back down to 135 and 134 respectively.

Thanks "h-i-c".... :)

Didnt sound as though the controller was doing any, err.... controlling :P What ever works, works as they say... ;)

Mal.