Thread: Nemox Fenice VS Sunbeam EM6910

Nemox Fenice VS Sunbeam EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi all

opportunity has arisen to buy one of these machines near new second hand and i would love some advice on what machine to get. (the Nemox Fenice is same at Lelit PL041 from what I read)

big considerations

No 1: ability to make consistent, great espresso :)

I drink mostly milk based drinks, so good steam power/ability to get nice microfoam

Durability

secondary:

ability to serve many guests when they come over

the thing putting me off the Nemox at the moment is that i heard its steam tip is horrible - but suppose a mod will fix that up?

the thing putting me off the sunbeam is the reliability - especially without a warranty for peace of mind

thanks for help! :)

Iggs

Re: Nemox Fenice VS Sunbeam EM6910

hi all - any advice on this? would really appreciate it :)

(blatent bump!)

There is a wait time between espresso and steam with the single boiler machines. The Sunbeam doesnt have this wait.

With some planning you can still make a round of flat whites with the Nemox but ultimately the Sunbeam will be easier as it has dual thermoblocks. Google "coffee for six challenge" and there is an excellent article on how you might do 6 coffees with the Nemox/Imat/Lelit.

The Nemox will last for many many years and still have good resale, the Sunbeam wont.

Caffeine Junky

Ive owned a couple of equivalent machines to the Fenice (Quaha & Mokita). Both were capable of producing high quality microfoam for 2 coffees with the standard tip. Dont know if the Fenice has a different tip.

If entertaining is a high priority then the Fenice will definitely frustrate you. As trentski points out, its do-able for up to 6 coffees but far from ideal IMO.

The Sunbeam has the edge in this department, but steam power is a looong way off higher end machines. The Fenice will have powerful steam for a short period, ideal or texturing a small volume of milk (2 standard milk drinks) reasonably quickly. The Sunbeam will have much longer lasting but less powerful steam.

Personally I wouldnt again buy a second hand EM6910, unless it was still under warranty. I would not hesitate in buying a second hand Lelit (or clone) given its in reasonable condition.

In my hands both are capable of making very good black & milk based drinks. Neither will be ideal for you.

I noticed you have a 5900 now, what is the biggest improvement youre looking for in your next machine? You may want to consider holding on to your current machine and saving for a HX which should cover all bases for you.

Something like this http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1307237234 is not a big premium over a new 6910.

thanks for all the tips guys

Quote Originally Posted by 24252F3C22273D4E0 link=1308091991/3#3 date=1308271361
    I noticed you have a 5900 now, what is the biggest improvement youre looking for in your next machine? You may want to consider holding on to your current machine and saving for a HX which should cover all bases for you.

This is some wise advice mate. I will most likely do that :)
    (just have to convince my wife its a worthy investment)