Thread: Mokita Super Inox Combi (2002)

Mokita Super Inox Combi (2002)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    I have just taken possession of a 2nd hand 2002 model of the Mokita Combi (same as Lelit Combi, I believe).
    I have made a couple of brews with it, and although there is some tweaking of my technique required, I am very happy with those brews and the potential improvement of future brews. Its a big step up from my twice resurrected Aldi machine.

I do have some questions, that I would like to put to the experienced snobbers...

Even though the previous owner took care of this machine, what procedures would you recommend I put it through?(descaling, back flushing, etc)
    (Would it be worth having answers to this in a sticky?)

I have read about back flushing, but read warnings that a 3 way valve is required. How would I know if this machine can be back flushed?

What maintenance products and procedures are recommended for both halves of the machine (grinder and espresso maker)?

And lastly, looking to the future, has anyone added a PID to one of these? And is it worth the effort?

Cheers

P.S. keeping my eyes peeled for a good popper to start roasting with.

Re: Mokita Super Inox Combi (2002)

Gday "C-D"... :)

Yep, these are great machines indeed and while similar to the Lelit range, they are not identical; some of the componentry has changed over the years...

That being said, if you follow the maintenance regime for the Silvia that will take care of everything except the grinder. This will need occasional cleaning out and is best done with a vacuum cleaner, with the nozzle directed into the top of the grinder with the Hopper removed.

Re: PID Controller mod... More or less identical with the same mod undertaken on a Silvia so all of the same pros and cons apply...

If you do a Google Search on Back-flushing a Silvia, this will turn up heaps of info to get you started... ;)

All the best,
    Mal.

I have the Nemox Cafe Del Opera which I believe are very similar, have been very happy with mine.

You can check if you have a 3 way valve by seeing if there is a tube going into the drip tray. This tube will expel water as soon as you switch off the brew button when pulling a shot.

What does your steam tip look like?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 5A77737F721E0 link=1308093215/1#1 date=1308105868
    This will need occasional cleaning out and is best done with a vacuum cleaner, with the nozzle directed into the top of the grinder with the Hopper removed.
    Hey Mal,

Would this work on a Sunbeam?* Id never considered putting the vacumm on and sucking all the loose grinds and everything else out that way...* Would be an easy "between cleans, clean"... i.e. do this in between a complete strip down, pull apart, washing of the parts of the Sunbeam, which I do semi-regularly, but is a bit too much work to do quite as regularly as I should!

Quote Originally Posted by 44414D49454E4817200 link=1308093215/3#3 date=1308114839
    Hey Mal,

Would this work on a Sunbeam?* Id never considered putting the vacumm on and sucking all the loose grinds and everything else out that way...* Would be an easy "between cleans, clean"... i.e. do this in between a complete strip down, pull apart, washing of the parts of the Sunbeam, which I do semi-regularly, but is a bit too much work to do quite as regularly as I should!
    Absolutely Damien... 8-)

This is what I have been doing for many years, and it works a treat so long as your Vacuum has decent suction power. The various hand-held vacs are not much chop for this.

When ever I acquire a new grinder, I tend to over-clean for the first few weeks/months until I get a handle on what sort of maintenance period is required. The use of a vacuum cleaner at full strength into the top of the grinding chamber and then at the discharge spout (if its accessible and with the grinder running) pretty well removes everything.

With my Kony for example, after vacuuming weekly Ive stretched the pull-down maintenance periods out to six months - May even be stretched out further if the next pull-down reveals that it is OK to do so... The technical jargon for this kind of servicing/maintenance is called "Condition Monitoring Based Maintenance".

With hardware of this nature, its easy to fall into the trap of over-servicing, whereupon the servicing routine actually creates more wear and tear than does just grinding coffee.... ;)

All the best,
    Mal.

Hey,

I have another version of the same machine, the Napoletana. Has been rock solid for nearly ten years now, only needing a new element once when it was in the care of someone who didnt refill the boiler after steaming. Urgh.

Mine doesnt have a solenoid, but yes yours will if there is a hose running into the drip tray. You should also hear a faint click from near the steam valve when you switch off the brew switch.

In terms of maintenance, my best tip is to take the showerscreen off maybe once every 3 months (if it is screwed on tight, it doesnt need to be - put it back with a bit of room to move) and burn off the resins over a gas flame (holding it with a heatproof implement helps here) then dunking it in cold water. A few goes of this and the black crud falls right off. Yes you can discolour the steel, but other than that there are no ill effects, and I kind of like the blue tint. Thanks Alan Frew at coffeeco for that one!

With the showerscreen off you can also get at the underside of the boiler and clean off any built-up resin, after removing the drip tray, tank and grinder hopper.

Other than that I completely disassemble the boiler every now and then and get stuck in with the descaler, but I filter the water going in so its never too bad.

-Rick

Quote Originally Posted by 6A717B73477A77767C180 link=1308093215/5#5 date=1308209411
    In terms of maintenance, my best tip is to take the showerscreen off maybe once every 3 months (if it is screwed on tight, it doesnt need to be - put it back with a bit of room to move) and burn off the resins over a gas flame (holding it with a heatproof implement helps here) then dunking it in cold water. A few goes of this and the black crud falls right off.
    I suggest cleaning more regularly with Caffeto would be a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E353F37033E3332385C0 link=1308093215/5#5 date=1308209411
    ....I completely disassemble the boiler every now and then and get stuck in with the descaler....
    Does the boiler just seperate from the brew head once the 4 bolts are removed?* Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced or is some sort of sealant?

I need to replace the steam valve on mine and thought I could do a bit more while I am tearing it apart.

Cheers

Yes, the four bolts hold the two halves of the boiler together. There is a rubber gasket in a channel sandwiched between, which should last a fairly long time. If its nackered they are easy enough to get, and cheap so replacement is not a problem. The most annoying aspect is the ridiculous space to get at the nuts underneath the group collar - I have yet to come up with a solution here.

Ahh, ok, thanks for that, seems quite straight forward. Re the nuts under the coller, I use a long reach socket. This gives easy access. I usually take the collar off to take off the GH seal and give everything a good clean, as it exposes everything and only takes a minute or so to take off/replace.

Cheers

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 65767069656A040 link=1308093215/9#9 date=1308213522
    Ahh, ok, thanks for that, seems quite straight forward.* Re the nuts under the coller, I use a long reach socket.* This gives easy access.* I usually take the collar off to take off the GH seal and give everything a good clean, as it exposes everything and only takes a minute or so to take off/replace.

Cheers
    I remember with my old Quaha Napoletana the space around the nuts to remove the collar was very tight, so much so that the socket bit wouldnt fit. I had to grind around the outisde of the socket bit to make the wall narrower.

Yes it is very tight but my socket does fit (just). Maybe my sockets are thin walled?? They are Metrinch brand, 1/4 inch drive.

Theres no need to dismantle the Boiler all that often - Excessive disassembly/reassembly wont be adding to the longevity or ongoing reliability of the machine. In fact, just the opposite is likely to occur.... :(

Much better to use a decent descaler from one of the respected manufacturers of same and do this once every couple of years. Even better is to use properly filtered water for your machines (and a Brita Jug does NOT qualify in this regard). Talk to the professionals at Bombora or your nearest Site Sponsor, they wont steer you wrong.... 8-)

Mal.

Thanks Mal, my machine is about 5 yrs old, and I havent descaled it yet (I know - I should have done it, but wasnt as savvy about machines and what is required until recently). I got some descaler but concerned it might not get all of it as the water in Perth is quite bad from what I have read.

Would you recommend I just descale a couple of times or would it be better to disassemble and do a thorough clean, then just the usual from then on. I dont mind getting into the machine and taking it apart etc, and I need to change the steam valve too, so can do this at the same time.

Cheers

Gday "artman".... :)

Five years without a descale regime is probably a bit long even if the water quality is decent... :(

If you dont mind getting stuck in, then a complete overhaul with disassembly is probably a very good idea and would ensure that any scale that does exist, doesnt end up in places where it shouldnt go.

A really good descaler product is this one from Bombora. Ive used this with a small commercial machine rebuild and it is very effective... It dissolves all of the scale, not just loosening it up so that bits and pieces of scale can migrate heavens knows where.

When disassembling, just take your time and dont force anything. Theres a great "How-To" here which might be helpful.

All the best mate and have fun... ;)

Mal.

Thanks Mal, that was my concern with descaling, if a piece does not dissolve fully, its can jam a valve or similar.

I previously bought the Cafetto Vanish descaler, presumably this would be OK as well as its designed for this purpose? When I tried this on the Faema, it seemed to remove scale and dissolved it quite well.

Thanks for the link, looks fairly straight forward and will make replacing the steam valve much easier with everything out. At the same time I plan to thread the end of a Silvia steam arm and screw this into the Nemox "ball" in the valve.

Where can I buy the boiler o-ring and heating element seals?

Cheers

Yep.... 8-)

The Cafetto product is a good quality one to use, by all accounts but I have no personal experience with it. If youre happy with previous performance and effectiveness then by all means, go for it.

If youre careful when removing the Boiler and Element, etc... the seals should remain in good condition. If youre unlucky enough to damage one though, a local Bearing Service retailer should be able to help you out. Tell them what its for so that you purchase the correct type of O-Ring, usually made from Viton or some sort of Silicone based material....

All the best ;)
    Mal.

Thanks for the tips guys.
    Managed to spend some time cleaning the machine over the weekend.
    I took off the shower screen and cleaned it and the boiler underside (thanks Rick)
    I performed a descale with citric acid.
    I have vacuumed the grinder (thanks Mal)
    I have ordered some cleaning products and a rubber back-flush insert.

I disrobed the unit and found the 3-way solenoid and back-flush pipe.

artman - attached are a couple of photos of my wand

So I should be set.
    Have done some searching - there does not seem to be any triple baskets available for this unit.
    I am tweaking my grind/fill/tamp routine (I tend to tamp too hard).
    Just need to source some quality fresh beans in Melbourne to my liking.

Am also looking out for a tamper.

Any suggestions on washing out the water reservoir?

Your tip looks like a normal one (once you remove the froth enchancer), mine is completely different. I cut mine down to get rid of the side frothing hole, but will try to fit a silvia arm/tip soon. Here is what I have done to it so far: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274440245

To clean the tank, I get sponge/cloth with detergent and squeeze my hand in the opening. Its a tight squeeze but I just manage it. I need to reinsert it in different ways to get to all the bits, as there is very little room to move in there through the small opening.

Cheers

I dont think my one had any sort of gasket between the boiler housing and the frame... should it?

No, no gasket between the lower half of the brass boiler and the stainless frame as far as I know.

BEWARE - this is also an electrical connection as the earth runs to one of the boiler bolts and thus the boiler / chassis.

When your element develops a fault, this is going to prevent the chassis from going live, as well as your Residual Current Device doing its job and breaking the circuit before anyone gets zapped.

as far as I know this is the only place the chassis is grounded so make sure the steel and brass are nice and clean, and that the star washer goes back between the earth lug and the brass boiler.

Correct me if Im wrong, sparkies?

Spot-on Rick... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.