Thread: Gaggia Classic report + clarifications

Gaggia Classic report + clarifications

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Had been firing up the gaggia classic around 2 cups a day everyday for half a month and there are some questions to clarify to improve on.

Using the EM0450 sunbeam grinder, Im set at one setting which provide good flow and not choking the machine. Going just 1 step down starts to making the machine go very slow.

However with this setting, Im consistently getting wet puck, sometimes with a small puddle on top, sometimes a soggy puck, it comes out almost as a whole when knocked out, but leaves bits of grinds at the basket. <-- How can I improve on that?

When the boiler light turns on, the water came out very hot with slight steaming. I assume this is too hot and I let it run for a sec to cool it down. <-- Is this correct?

Using original steam wand without enhancing (only the black platic tip), I can making foamy cappuccino type of foam to silky latte froth, but maybe due to technique or simply the stock wand does not work, there is no luck in pouring latte art at all. Is there anyone that still uses the original wand that successfully steam their milk properly without upgrading to silvia wand?

Another question to clarify, is crema always = good stuff? With this grind Im consistently getting 3-5mm of crema when poured into a ACF 280ml cappucinno cup.

Re: Gaggia Classic report + clarifications

Regarding foam I have a Gaggia Baby at home with Silvia steam wand and PID and a Gaggia Carezza at work with standard black wand tip.
    I find i can get more silky foam from my work machine, think the actual steam hole may be smaller, but the Silvia steam wand being longer and further out is easier to use.

I also have not been able to do latte art, but maybe my technique wrong.

Gaggia are great as they warm up quickly and with a PID to set temperature give excellent results.

regarding wet puck, knock out after you steam the milk, I find doing this allows the puck to dry out more.

fresh beans = good crema.

I found if you are slightly under dosing you will also get a wet puck

Hm... Ive tried over-dosing, but often scratched the surface of the puck by the shower screen, maybe I didnt tamp hard enough?

grind till basket is full then level then tamp, may need coarser grind.

My dad has a classic and I use it every weekend. I have recently been able to pour rosettas with the milk frother using the standard wand without the frothing attachment. I use a 400ml jug and tilt it at the start to get the nozzle under the milk.

Sorry, no pics. But it is possible.

Cheers

Wolski

Do you keep maintaining at the same position when you hear the tearing sound or you change it often ?

I usually hold the level to have the tearing sound, but this position got to be adjusted throughout the process as the milk level changes, but I find if I get this tearing sound throughout the frothing time, I will get big foam instead.

Another try is just maintaining one position, but without much sound but occasional tearing sound. It get close to microfoam but while pouring, the foam only comes to take shape until the very end and its watery :-?

Although I have upgraded to the Silvia steam wand, I find that learning how to "temperature surf" (ie. start steaming before the light turns on) makes a big difference in having enough steam power to maintain a good whirlpool right through to the end of texturing a jug of milk, especially if youre making enough for more than one cup.

I finally encounter an optimal dosage of beans (overdose a little and levelling off)

Now I can get rather dryer puck after the shot.

Milk frothing is still very tricky, its a thin line between cappucinno big foam and silky foam...

I also just borrowed Greg Pullmans pressure gauge to discover that my Classic was producing a pressure of about 12 bar at the group, rather than the ~9 bar that is recommended. Ive sinced adjusted the OPV (over pressure valve) so that Im getting pretty much 9 bar and have noticed that my pucks are now much drier and firmer (and my shots taste better!).

Not sure about the pressure and wouldnt want to adjust the OPV without tool to measure it, but now consistently Im able to get dry puck and with the mazzer mini, the puck look so much smoother.

Actually Id realised that steaming doesnt really need to temp surf (or wait till the light goes off) and its not how strong is your steam is.

The positioning of the tip and holding it still at that optimum position works very well. I finally got to pour a heart and the milk was silky smooth !

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif] Love the photo, Hide! Well done on your art too! :)

Did it taste as good as it looks?

Thanks for the compliment!

It tasted very good and was very proud after I pour that heart. Just hope I can steam the milk consistently from now on!!

I would really want to drink a cup that I can set it as a benchmark of quality coffee. I wonder any one would offer me a cup of theirs ;D

Any time, Hide...you just have to get to my place, which is about 1600kays from yours! ;D

I used my classic for a few years (7) before changing the steam arm, it was like getting a new machine and has set off serious upgraditis.

But before you do just try removing the plastic bit and using the stuby metal arm on its own takes some practice but with temp surfing you can create the standing wave need to get microfom