Thread: Silvia first day problems

RJM

Silvia first day problems

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

This is my first post although I have been a very regular reader of other peoples posts since I found out about the site last year.

Today I picked up my Silvia which replaced my La Cimbali Domus which gave me almost 15 years of trouble free service. I was expecting some initial teething problems in learning now to best use the Silvia with my K3 grinder which I bought second hand but almost new last year but hadnt previously used with a machine.

However after having used over 250gms of beans I have not been able to get any creme out of the Silvia this is despite setting the K3 at its finest setting. I got four baskets as well as decent stainless steel tamper with my Slivia package ( 7,9,14 and 18 gram) and have used each of the baskets to no good effect - all that I am getting to happen is a rush of hot water.

My beans are not new (they are probably about 4-5 weeks old) and I know I should have bought new beans but I was expecting to use most of the beans experimenting so I thought I would just use them up.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with a Silvia or is it likely that I might have other problems ie the grinder is not working properly.*

I would* welcome any help or suggestions anyone can offer.

Re: Silvia first day problems

Welcome to CS RJM.

Doubt you have much to worry about. Its 99% likely that the beans are stale ie. lack of resistance provided by the oils in the beans.

Step 1 now would be to purchase some fresh coffee.

Cheers
    Den

I second the motion, welcome RJM. I also second Dennis diagnosis, stale beans are the likely problem. Surely you have a local roaster with fresh produce avaliable for purchase?

Steve

RJM

Thanks for the re-assuring advice. I will get some fresh beans hopefully tomorrow.

Hmm. Fresh beans available on a Sunday...not so sure.

If you really, really, get stuck, rummage through the shelves for some of Coles Finest - they have roasted on dates and you might get one less than a month old.

Quote Originally Posted by 65444F4F4852210 link=1308387066/4#4 date=1308393137
    Hmm. Fresh beans available on a Sunday...not so sure.

Easy to do in Melbourne, we have many cafe/roasters that are open on Sunday, not least being site sponsors Di Bella

RJM

I bought some new padre beans that were roasted today by the Brunswick East Project and unfortunately* another 250gms of coffee later there is no real improvement ie just a rush of hot water at the finest setting across a variety of baskets.

I think it must be a problem with the K3 grinder as the grind should be powdery on that setting and for some reason it is quite coarse. I know it shouldnt be the burrs as the grinder is just over 12 months old and wouldnt have had much more than 10 kgs through it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

If youre a newbie (and there aint no shame in that) Id expect around 1-3 kg of beans before you learn to use Silvia correctly.

Save yourself the time and ask Di Bella if they still do their coffee course - it will save you a lot of time and heartache.

Also, dont change your baskets all the time - stick with one until you learn. Theres enough variables for you to mess around with in grind, dose and tamp.

are you sure the grinder is at its "finest" are you winding right in to "burrs touching" with no beans / clean grinder and burrs then backing off a little and going from there.

if your using the "numbers" on the grinder they are sometimes not accurate on some grinders (zero may not be zero)

stupid question, your using a tamper right....

RJM

Thanks again - unfortunately it is definitely a grinder problem - it is just spitting out literally big pieces of coffee beans - the more I fiddle and try different settings including backing it off and resetting it the worse it gets.

Worse I cant even get into it to the insides of the grinder to check it out as when I bought the grinder second hand last year I didnt get an alan key for it and I have just went to Bunnings and bought a set of alan keys none of which fit.

This has just been one of these weekends full of hope but ultimately very frustrating and annoying.

I will try and contact someone tomorrow to have a look at it.

take the grinder with you next time :)

strip it down, it might be full of oils and crap stopping you from grinding properly (jamming the threads of the grinder)

unless the burrs have been grinding rocks or something is bent / stuffed you should be able to choke the silvia i reckon even with blunter burrs

Ive had a Silvia for 2 months now, and as a new user have probably put through a 1-2 kilo of beans when experimenting with dialing in the grind and getting the tamp pressure right. But Ive never had chunks of beans spitting out the grinder at me.

As you suggest if you cant get a fine grind of beans out of your grinder you are going nowhere fast. Hopefully its just a simple problem with the new grinder or how you are using it.

Do you still have access to the old grinder you used with the La Cimbali Domus? Perhaps run some beans through it for the Silvia.

RJM

I got rid of my old grinder which was a Braun which I used with La Cimbali Domus as it was also about 15 years old. Something just happened on the K3 which hopefully can be easily fixed- unfortunately the output at the moment out of the grinder resembles wood chip.

KJM

Hey RJM - I have a Silvia and I bought a K3Touch (to use in the Tea Room @ work, but I tried it out here at home first ;) ;) ).

The K3 has no problems whatsoever choking Miss Silvia.

The K3T in the Tea room was recently severely abused by someone who wouldnt own up (maybe I was just a bit too cross at the time...). The grinding plates were completely blocked. Not surprising when you put INSTANT into it :o

If your grinder wont dial in fine enough, it could just be gunk on the threads preventing you dialling in close enough. Spinning off the top reveals all - I had to use a toothpick to clean each burr slot out - it does take time but the grinder comes back to life!

Hope this helps.
    /Kevin

RJM

Thanks for all the helpful hints from everyone however as it turns out there was a problem with the K3 grinder and thanks very much to Chris from Talk Coffee for helping me resolve the problem.

Today armed with some fresh beans from Chris I am a lot happier than I was this time last week. I got some good shots by my standard from the Silvia although no where near as good as the standard Chris was able to get with his skills and fine coffee machinery.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 627A7D300 link=1308387066/14#14 date=1308994370
    Thanks for all the helpful hints from everyone however as it turns out there was a problem with the K3 grinder and thanks very much to Chris from Talk Coffee for helping me resolve the problem.

Today armed with some fresh beans from Chris I am a lot* happier than I was this time last week. I got some good shots by my standard from the Silvia although no where near as good as the standard Chris was able to get with his skills and fine coffee machinery.
    Thanks RJM,

I am glad that the issues were minor.

I found that the previous owner had disassembled the grinder to clean it and on assembly, the top burr had been left waaaaay short of contact with the lower burr, which had not been cleaned prior to reassembly. There was a fair amount of goop in the thread.

The locking pin in the K3 collar prevented correct adjustment. It was a 5 minute fix to get you up and running again.

Thanks for the feedback on the coffee. We had some lovely stuff in the grinder yesterday :)

Cheers

Chris