Thread: Recommendation for espresso/cappuccino machine

Recommendation for espresso/cappuccino machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi i am looking hard for a decent cappucino machine, i currently have the delonghi esam 3500 and want to burn it because of how bad it is. It makes horrible froth. The crema is fairly nice though.
    My question is what machine is good value sub $1500 I dont mind the auto grinder coffee, but would prefer manually handling the froth. :)

Re: Recommendation for cappucino machine

Ill put my head in the noose and suggest the Nuova Simonelli Oscar. You dont get lots of stainless steel (plastic body) or a hot water tap for long blacks, but Ive had mine for about 8 months and am very pleased with its steaming ability, having done most of my learning on a Sunbeam 6910. Also very satisfied with the espresso output, though its an entirely manual process.

I have no problems producing steamed milk for 8-10 when the family all come home.

You should be able to get one well within your $1500 budget. Check with the site sponsors, a number of them sell the Oscar.

Good hunting

Russell

Hi John, Im in the market for a new machine also with a similar budget.

Breville BES900 might be worth a look!
    Its due for release in August.

The BES 900 is cool i like the twin boiler feat. the 6910 i saw but thought the single boiler feat isnt very ideal as there can be times when i need about 10 cups to prepare at once. Havent heard of the nuova not sure what system that uses, is it HX or twin boiler?
    My dream machine will be the vibiemme super :( its very expensive in Oz even the junior is at least $2399

Quote Originally Posted by 45495E4D5A414B430542474046280 link=1308646062/3#3 date=1308691881
    the 6910 i saw but thought the single boiler feat isnt very ideal
    I think the 6910 is "no boiler" :) Its a twin thermoblock machine.

A big draw to the 900 for me is the ability to steam at the same time as extracting - good for those guests!* I think all duals will (dual boiler, dual block, boiler-block) but the dual boiler should be the fastest out of those 3 options.

edit: now I think about it, Im not sure that a block can steam at the same time as extracting... someone will correct me :)

Yeh its a twin thermo block ( i thought those had one boiler just blocking ports to either coffee or steamer) I didnt think you could do both on that either.
    So the BES 900 is starting to look more like the machine i will pick up. I only have a breville kettle, how reliable are they as cappucino machines, i had a gaggia which made beautiful coffee but had shotty internals that kept getting faults.

you can search for the couple of huge posts about the new Breville, but a few things stood out to me about their reliabillity:
    [olist][*]Breville made specific design choices and manufacturer stipulations regarding longevity[*]They tested a few thousand extractions simulating 10 years worth of work on their test machines[*]Theyre offering a 2 year warranty
    [/olist]

Now its just speculation to say how much you believe the first two, but the last point starts to put its reliability ahead for me.

To know for sure why dont you ring one of the sponsors up who has actually seen inside the machine?

Re: Recommendation for espresso/cappuccino machine

Thanks for the heads up, I might speak to Dennis as im planning to head up to the store to see a demo of the BES900.
    Im hoping its as reliable as im hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by 767E76717B7D1F0 link=1308646062/6#6 date=1308831090
    you can search for the couple of huge posts about the new Breville, but a few things stood out to me about their reliabillity:

Breville made specific design choices and manufacturer stipulations regarding longevity
    They tested a few thousand extractions simulating 10 years worth of work on their test machines
    Theyre offering a 2 year warranty

Now its just speculation to say how much you believe the first two, but the last point starts to put its reliability ahead for me.
    I cant attest to the first point Iain, though I do know that Breville have built in an alert feature into the machine that suggests that the machine be serviced after 6000 shots. Yes, you heard it here and from me first, and Im guessing that means Breville expect it to last a while. 8-)

Point 2: I saw one of these units on life support/simulation and am pretty sure Breville didnt set it all up just for my visit. ;D

Cool thanks for the info, i might visit in a week or two.
    See how the demo functions. Im so excited I had a laugh

Dont forget your grinder it will make as much if not more difference to coffee and needs to factored in to your budget potential pushing the BES900 over budget for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 04124E014E0A4E1009030B0512090E07600 link=1308646062/10#10 date=1309201304
    Dont forget your grinder it will make as much if not more difference to coffee and needs to factored in to your budget potential pushing the BES900 over budget for you.
    The Smart Grinder is FREE with the Dual Boiler so hell still be right when it comes to the new Breville package ;)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 130801100513080906140512600 link=1308646062/11#11 date=1309210273
    The Smart Grinder is FREE with the Dual Boiler so hell still be right when it comes to the new Breville package
    I think you forgot one word SS: currently

Chris

its becoming a tricky market, but great for consumers.
    Ive got a 6910, like the fast heat up, and it steams and froths at the same time. sometimes they bundle a grinde, so for sub $800, before discounts, its not bad. The new brevilel 900 is a machine Id look at if I was to buy another one, if they bundle a grinder, and discount, it would be very attractive, dual boiler and precision, and if they bundle grinder, only thing missing is coffee and a decent tamper. If you want a classic HX, look at the expobar semi auto, no change from $1500 after discount and shopping around, but solid build and will uses std parts so it will still be working in 10 years time .... and no grinder bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by 7275646475627164787F7D75100 link=1308646062/13#13 date=1309213083
    it steams and froths at the same time
    are we talking coffee machine here or rabid dog? ;D

but good to know, if the Sunbeam dual-block steams and extracts at the same time...