Thread: No more automatic - going manual!

No more automatic - going manual!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there - new to post but a veteran reader! Thanks for all the info you guys put out to help with great coffee experiences!

OK, so weve just sold off our $1200 Saeco automatic machine cause it was playing up again and we didnt want to spend any more money on it. Have dusted off the stovetop espresso maker and am enjoying better coffee out of it than ever got from the saeco...

we are now thinking of going to a manual machine (the investment in the saeco didnt prove worth it and dont want to make that mistake again!) and after much, much research and reading (mostly here!) think we will save for a Silvia and while Rocky is a bit too much for the moment might get a Sunbeam em0480 for now to grind the beans for the stovetop and Silvia once we get her and get Rocky down the track.

Just the 2 of us having coffee for breakfast and sometimes another in the afternoon - DH has short or long blacks and I have long whites with occassional caps on the weekend or for visitors. Are we on the right track with Silvia and the sunbeam??

thanks!

Re: No more automatic - going manual!

the breville smart grinder may be worth a look.

breville also have a double boiler machine that is meant to be available soon that could also be worth a look.

what is best for you is a personal thing.

Site Sponsor

Hi carina and welcome,

For what you would spend on a Silvia and Sunbeam grinder, you should also consider a Lelit Combi. The grinder in the combi is less messy the Sunbeam which tends to spray a bit. For a Silvia v Lelit list of pros/cons, see here:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1304917830

charlie

The Silvia is good but if you can afford to spend a little extra you should get the Breville Smart Grinder. The em0480 will do the job but the Breville is way better for only a little extra $. The almost stepless adjustment of the Smart Grinder is excellent and worth the extra money alone I reckon.
    The Rocky has its pros and cons like all grinders, but at almost twice the price of the Smart Grinder it really does not compare for value IMO.

definately go for the breville smart grinder, much better grinder than the sunbeam for not a lot more money. Machines are a individual thing and I would look at the new Breville double boiler if the budget can handle it but the Silvia is a good choice as is the Lelit

Nothing wrong with the little Lelit grinder, which is stepless.... 8-)

Very compact little unit with outcomes in the cup that compete with grinders costing many more times the cost of the Lelit. If you had to pick on something, I guess it is a little noisier than its bigger cousins but in the cup, its very hard to beat.

I owned one for a couple of years and was very happy with it.... ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 4964606C610D0 link=1308723411/5#5 date=1308755642
    If you had to pick on something, I guess it is a little noisier than its bigger cousins

Mal.

Yes...just ask my 18 year old who constantly complains about my 7am grinding* *;D

thanks all...have been reading up about the Lelit which I hadnt considered..was won over by talk of the Silvia being with me for life but seems as though the Lelit might be just as good?? Back to the research, will have to get hubby to have a look too - makes it easier if he agrees!!

Ive taken it a step further, no more manual gone lever. :)

Even less to go wrong and the coffee is marvelous.

(La Pavoni Europiccola)