Thread: Isomac Zaffiro - Living with it

Isomac Zaffiro - Living with it

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys, I havent posted for a while but wanted to give some feedback on how living with my Isomac Zaffiro has been going. For some reason I cant find my old posts in my profile, so Im starting this new thread.
    After a bit of a learning curve to get used to a manual machine (and consistent grinding, tamping, and making decent frothing milk, etc), it seems that the little Isomac can be a bit fickle. Dont get me wrong it can make a great espresso, but you have to follow some rules (as set by the machine ;) )
    The first few shots can be great, after it has had time to warm up. This generally takes about 15-20 minutes. Nothing new there, but if it stands for too much longer it will bubble out the shot and probably burn it. - Would take suggestions, if people think I may have the element set too high, to cause this.
    So if it settles for any period of time, Ive been running about 150-200ml through to equalise the temp of all the components. This seems to work, as it will then pour a good shot from there.
    Being patient is another thing you to be as it takes a bit of time for the element to get up to temp, to do the steam. So Ive been pouring all my shots first then doing milk at the end. I mainly do ristrettos, lattes, etc. 30-50ml, in a double PF.
    Im interested in other Zaffiro owners experiences of the little nuances you experience. Enjoy.
    Cheers
    Simon

Re: Isomac Zaffiro - Living with it

Quote Originally Posted by 162C282A2B7C7575450 link=1308791192/0#0 date=1308791192
    This generally takes about 15-20 minutes. Nothing new there, but if it stands for too much longer it will bubble out the shot and probably burn it. - Would take suggestions, if people think I may have the element set too high, to cause this.

Youve got me confused here. This is a single boiler machine so the water in the boiler should be brew temperature. As compared to a Hx machine where the water in the boiler is hotter than boiling.

Do you get steam and hissing and spitting when you do your "cooling" flush? :-?

Yes sometimes. Its why I run water through it to balance everything out.

TC

Hello Simon,

I am not sure where you are, but iot sounds as if your machine needs to be calibrated appropriately.

Find a techie who has a Scace device and knows how to do this properly and you should be able to get an improvement. If youre in Melbourne, I have the gear to do it.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,
    Ive thought as much, but didnt really know where to turn to. Im in the Inner west of Sydney if someone can point me in the right direction. :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6953575554030A0A3A0 link=1308791192/4#4 date=1309300296
    Hi Chris,
    Ive thought as much, but didnt really know where to turn to. Im in the Inner west of Sydney if someone can point me in the right direction. :)
    Cuppacoffee has a Scace as do Di Bartoli. I think that Jetblack also have one. I would think that any of these sponsors will be able to assist.

Ive had a Zaffiro for about 18 months now as well, and the only time Ive had water spitting was if I tried to make a shot after Id steamed milk. Because its only one boiler, if you get to steam temp, the whole e61 head gets hot too, so you need to flush it like a fury to get it back to brew temp.

If you take the back off it, there is a thermostat control knob in the brains of the unit. Maybe you can have a fiddle and see if you can control it this way.

I enjoy my Zaffiro. It makes great espresso, but its a little time consuming to make more than one milk based drink, as you have to do all the shots, then wait for it to heat up , then steam the milk. 5 - 6 minutes. But Im the only coffee drinker in the house, so its a rare problem.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by 7D727E687A7D7D1F0 link=1308791192/6#6 date=1309307340
    Ive had a Zaffiro for about 18 months now as well, and the only time Ive had water spitting was if I tried to make a shot after Id steamed milk. Because its only one boiler, if you get to steam temp, the whole e61 head gets hot too, so you need to flush it like a fury to get it back to brew temp.

If you take the back off it, there is a thermostat control knob in the brains of the unit. Maybe you can have a fiddle and see if you can control it this way.

I enjoy my Zaffiro. It makes great espresso, but its a little time consuming to make more than one milk based drink, as you have to do all the shots, then wait for it to heat up , then steam the milk. 5 - 6 minutes. But Im the only coffee drinker in the house, so its a rare problem.
    I do know the thermostat dial. Ive adjusted it before. Maybe I turned it up too high. Ill drop it down again and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4B7E7374405C7079797A7A1F0 link=1308791192/5#5 date=1309300782
    Quote Originally Posted by 6953575554030A0A3A0 link=1308791192/4#4 date=1309300296
    Hi Chris,
    Cuppacoffee has a Scace as do Di Bartoli. I think that Jetblack also have one. I would think that any of these sponsors will be able to assist.
    Di Bartoli is the closest. Ill have to drop it in to them and see what they think.

Thanks guys.