Thread: An Oscar question

An Oscar question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does the steam wand on the Oscar also supply hot water? Is it similar to the Saeco V V in that you can get hot water through the steam wand untill you press the steam button. I have seen mentioned that the Oscar doesnt have a hot water outlet and wondered if that means no hot at all or just no dedicated outlet like some machines that have 2 wands, one for steam one for hot water.

Caffeine Junky

Re: An Oscar question

Hi Tony. The steam wand is just for steam

I personally dont see it has a downside, I have owned several machines with a hot water tap and it rarely ever got used.

If I want to make a long black Ill just boil the kettle.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 3A3B31223C3923500 link=1308906967/1#1 date=1308914658
    Hi Tony.* The steam wand is just for steam

I personally dont see it has a downside, I have owned several machines with a hot water tap and it rarely ever got used.

If I want to make a long black Ill just boil the kettle.
    Not so sure I agree with that CJ,

We often get machines in which do have hot water wands which receive little or no use.

I have seen water which looks more like lime cordial come out of them and its this that you boil to make your steam.

I advise owners to use their hot water wand every day but to remember that an espresso machine is not to be used in the place of an urn or kettle for larger batches of water.

Cheers

Chris

Caffeine Junky

Good point Chris. I should qualify that I would regularly flush water out of the hot water tap, but would normally use the kettle for a long black.

Thanks for the replies, I also boil water in a small kettle if I make a long black, I use the hot water on the Saeco V V mainly to rinse and pre heat cups, its just handy to have a bit of hot water I think. I wish to upgrade to a machine that it is easy to make an occasional cuppacino and gives good espresso and didnt want to spend super dollars so I was thinking about the Breville DB then I read a review of the NS Oscar and thought it may do what I want, thats why I asked about the hot water.

Caffeine Junky

Hi again Tony. Given your requirements and assumed budget (<$1500?) the Oscar may not be the best choice IMO.

The Oscar is a 2L HX so lots of steaming power, great if you want to make a heap of milk-based drinks when entertaining. Quality of the espresso in my hands is very good and similar to other HX machines Ive owned.

You may want to consider a top-end single boiler dual purpose machine like the VBM Piccolo. Even a PID Silvia would be worth considering, Jetblack sell them in that form if youre not confident in your own technical skills to install one.

If I were in your shoes the Breville DB would be hard to resist, especially considering you can effectively get a free smart grinder with one from Talk Coffee or Cuppacoffee. What sort of grinder do you have now?

Dont get me wrong about the Oscar, its an excellent machine for its price and I enjoy using mine.

The most important thing IMO is to buy a machine that has been bench tested and optimised so you can be confident its working optimally.

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 2B2A20332D2832410 link=1308906967/5#5 date=1308918958
    Hi again Tony.* Given your requirements and assumed budget (<$1500?) the Oscar may not be the best choice IMO.

The Oscar is a 2L HX so lots of steaming power, great if you want to make a heap of milk-based drinks when entertaining.* Quality of the espresso in my hands is very good and similar to other HX machines Ive owned.

You may want to consider a top-end single boiler dual purpose machine like the VBM Piccolo.* Even a PID Silvia would be worth considering, Jetblack sell them in that form if youre not confident in your own technical skills to install one.

If I were in your shoes the Breville DB would be hard to resist, especially considering you can effectively get a free smart grinder with one from Talk Coffee or Cuppacoffee.* What sort of grinder do you have now?

Dont get me wrong about the Oscar, its an excellent machine for its price and I enjoy using mine.

The most important thing IMO is to buy a machine that has been bench tested and optimised so you can be confident its working optimally.

Great post CJ! Just a quick note to let the OP know that E61 are also offering the free smart grinder with the Breville DB - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1251458192 post #16. These sponsors will hopefully take it to the big end of town with these great offers! Makes me wish I was back at the beginning with all thats on offer these days. Good luck Tony and let us know what you decide

Hi CJ and Brett
    I have been thinking the same thing in regards to the Breville, very hard to resist. seems to tick all the boxes and I just have to wait to actually see one. I already have a Breville smart grinder and am very happy with it as it has improved the coffee from my Saeco untold, I didnt think the grinder could make that much difference. I dont want to spend a heap as I am the only one in the house who drinks milk coffee and the mrs only drinks espresso, only one or two a day. The Saeco is not very good on steam(not a lot and a bit wet and takes a while after the shot to get steam up) so its a bit hard to get good milk.

brett230873

I reckon the best bet is to try and visit either a sponsor or a local snob to get some hands-on. The only way to really understand what is going to fill that gap that the robust but under-whelming saeco presents is to have a play and talk to an aficionado... while you dirty up their stuff ;) So, who here know the closest sponsor or well-meaning snob to Maitland NSW? All the best Tony.