Thread: EM6910 what is this gunk?

EM6910 what is this gunk?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys, I have a sunbeam em6910 that requires cleaning under the shower screens very regularly. There always seems to be a build up of a white powder/gunk kinda like a fine sand. Recently I havent used the machine for a while (lets say a fortnight) and ive popped the screens off to have a look. Now that its had a chance to dry out, this is what I see:

How do i clean this off and stop this build up of gunk? At this stage im considering soaking all of it with cafetto for a few days and scrubbing with a toothbrush, but will this be pointless? Is the machine near the end of its life?? (please say no)

any opinions welcome :)

Re: EM6910 what is this gunk?

did you leave a puck in the group handle ?

that looks like coffee mold :P from an old puck to me YUCK

get in there and clean clean clean and flush out the system with plenty of hot water

When did you last descale?

no i definitely didnt leave an old coffee puck in there, it doesnt have the consistency of mold, like i said its a bit gritty like sand.

Ive descaled and run cafetto through it quite a few times, ive even tried just plain white vinegar. Ive also used the tablets that sunbeam sell for a rediculous price I had a laugh. Ive probably done each of these procedures at least twice over the last 3 months.

To me it looks like the actual metalic surface is doing something equivalent to rusting, but considering its a coffee machine it shouldnt do that right?

Where do you live and what water are you using? :-?

I live in Adelaide (within the CBD if that makes a difference).

I did buy this machine 2nd hand a year or so ago by the way, so it might be difficult to determine how it got this problem. But now that it has this problem I just want to get rid of it.

Roz

Adelaide water is quite hard and requires softening and filtering I would assume.

I would say its got that way over time, maybe the previous owner didnt descale it at all nor softened or filtered water.

Im not sure how you would tackle such scale on that machine.

Caffeine Junky

If you are using tap water without any softening I would bet the gunk is scale. Not sure how much variation there is in different parts of the city but assume its pretty high everywhere.

Using my hardness test strips, our tap water (inner Western suburbs) is 400ppm which is considered very high.

Have you recharged or replaced the decalc filter in the machine?

Ive soaked it in salt water a couple of times but its hard to determine how much effect it had. Im not sure exactly how much salt should be in the salt solution either.

I do have some sunbeam liquid descaler left. I could try running that through again, but it has been through a couple of times before. Maybe i should soak it for a day or so??

Clean it then switch to mineral water for a short bit then see if it repeats.

Other than that, it could be something with the machine that is generating that kind of reaction. Yes the middle bolt does look like it is rusting a bit, something it shouldnt do. I am sure that cant be good for the taste of the coffee.

I dont have a pura-tap type filter but i do have a water filter jug that ill try from now on.

Ive taken a couple of pics after removing the 12mm screw. I dont think the screw is damaged or rusted at all, i believe its copper so its aged a bit but no rust. It is interesting to see that the surface near where the screw fits isnt damaged. I dont think water gets to this area so im starting to agree that its something to do with the water and scale build up. Thanks for the help!

Judging from the mini pics Tommy, it looks like the gunk has found their way into tiny pits.
    So, just get a good quality coffee machine cleaner like Cafetto and let it soak in that area before going over it with steel wool. I like to use Steelo and a fair amount of elbow grease. You might find you may get most of it out if not all of it.
    Give that a go and best of luck.
    After that, make sure you use filtered water and run that resin filter thats in your water tank since youre in Adelaide.

Gary at G