Thread: gaggia classic pid upgrade

gaggia classic pid upgrade

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    l have read a few posts on these things and l still have a few questions.
    which temp controler would you use if you want to monitor the steamer and the boiler.
    couldnt you just change the thermo-stat to a hotter one if you arnt getting the right temperture water.
    l deffinitly think it makes sence to know what the temp.is.l was thinking of buying a universal controller SYL-1512 but it looks like l would need 2 if l wanted to monitor the steam as well.

Is it worth getting a more complicated controller!
    rgs greenbe

Which

Re: gaggia classic pid upgrade

you can monitor both brew and steam temp with a PID temp display read out.
    PID is used to control brew temp accurately
    you can also use the alarm out as a basic temp switch* to control steam.*
    (no PID function, just on or off as it crosses the set alarm temp)

I havent tried it with mine, but I have read that you can just reset the temperature to a suitable steaming temp and let the PID do the rest (assuming that your thermocouple is mounted on the boiler as is most commonly done),....
    but easiest way is to just use the steam switch to override the PID, and monitor the boiler temperature display on your PID, and when your boiler gets to say 120 deg, you blow the steam wand out and start steaming and your heating element will stay on for duration of the steaming, which gives good steaming.

Even cheap simple PIDs like my Sestos D1S have an alarm function you can use.

Ive been experimenting with setting the temperature up 40 degrees from my brew temp, which takes six button presses, then flicking on the steam switch when I start steaming. It works fine if you can be bothered with the buttons.

would not recommend having no temperature control when steaming, boiler will keep heating even when extracting steam, eventually it will blow the thermal saftey fuse.

either use original steam thermostat or use PID /alarm to control via thermocouple.

Quote Originally Posted by 767A7B747B3B7A77677C707B150 link=1309224532/3#3 date=1309230304
    Ive been experimenting with setting the temperature up 40 degrees from my brew temp, which takes six button presses, then flicking on the steam switch when I start steaming. It works fine if you can be bothered with the buttons.
    Should be able to set alarm point once, and then after that only use steam switch, you wire the output of alarm via the steam switch to SSR, alarm is on below 40C and when it gets over 40C turns off , (40C above brew temp)

I dont do enough milk to go to the trouble of wiring up the alarm to control the steam temperature. I still have the steam thermostat in place, Im just resetting the primary PID temperature when I do milk to guarantee not triggering the steam thermostat because it takes so long to get your steam power back after the steam thermostat is triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by 767A7B747B3B7A77677C707B150 link=1309224532/6#6 date=1309236896
    Im just resetting the primary PID temperature when I do milk to guarantee not triggering the steam thermostat because it takes so long to get your steam power back after the steam thermostat is triggered.
    Thats all I ever did too htr.... 8-)

Takes but seconds to do and keeps everything under PID Control.... ;)

Mal.

Thanks for the extra info.
    the kit l was interested in has.
    The PID controller in this kit is specifically modified for home espresso brewing applications. Two additional parameters are included to balance the requirement of cold start speed, shot recovery speed and long term stability. (this is a different controller than our universal controller SYL-1512)

2) A platinum RTD temperature sensor is used which is more accurate and has greater long-term stability than thermocouple sensors. Temperature variations within the controllers environment will not affect the accuracy of its reading. In addition, the sensor is built inside of a screw and will fit into the existing thermowell for the coffee thermostat

3) All the cables in the kit have high temperature endurance as the original cables used by the manufacture. We use color coded cables with either fluoropolymer or silicone insulation. This will prevent the potential electrical shock resulting from PVC insulated wires touching the boiler during operation.

it is on ebay in the states has anyone installed one of these units the sound like they would do the job ok.
    rgs greenbe

Spanner in works?..........

Or, instead of spending money (be it ever so little) on this very / very basic espresso machine, you could put it towards something better.

Just another perspective :)

Rgdz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsr

Attilio might not be a fan but a Gaggia Classic with a pid and a properly adjusted over pressure valve can give you water at a consistent temperature and a consistent pressure. And consequently great coffee.

How much would you have to spend to get something that can do that off the shelf?

My Gaggia Baby was about $50 , already had a PID, $20 for SSR + heatsink , $30 for silvia steam wand, $50 for tamper , jug, group brush, blind filter.
    I very happy with results, and it very fast to warm up. will do OPV adjust when i get my pressure gauage.
    I expect it will improve some more after adjustment, have learnt a lot by fitting PID and it was fun and satisfying to do myself.

He has a good point the kit l was looking at is a $150 do you think that l could do it cheaper the crux would be getting the rtd for the gaggia the rest should be off the shelf l think this feature is not something you would get in a standard machine,but you would think when the red light is on or off what ever the case maybe everything should be perfect!But we know this is not the case.

thermocouple is fine for PID , rtd probably overkill, sure it better but could you tell the difference in making the cofffee, PID vs thermostat > big improvement, thermocouple vs rtd > no difference.

Kit will be easier to install as all the hard work has been done, it has all the parts and been proved to work, it depends how clever you are in researching and buying parts and working out how to install to get what you want.

If you enjoy doing it it is worth doing it yourself from parts. If you dont enjoy tinkering and you put a value your time then you might as well buy it.

Personally, I enjoy tinkering.