Thread: My trusty Gaggia has died, want to go Auto any suggestions?

My trusty Gaggia has died, want to go Auto any suggestions?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My trusty 9 year old Gaggia has started to leak, so now after a brief mourning period, its time to upgrade* :)

Im lazy by nature, im looking for an automatic machine, with inbuilt grinder, that basically makes a great espresso every time, is good with milk and cleans itself....is there any such machine or am i dreaming?? Please help wise Coffee Snobs!

TC

Re: My trusty Gaggia has died, want to go Auto any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by 5A6864277F667C626C67687A090 link=1309291759/0#0 date=1309291759
    My trusty 9 year old Gaggia has started to leak, so now after a brief mourning period, its time to upgrade* :)

Im lazy by nature, im looking for an automatic machine, with inbuilt grinder, that basically makes a great espresso every time, is good with milk and cleans itself....is there any such machine or am i dreaming?? Please help wise Coffee Snobs!
    Yes Sam,

You will find this machine at the best local cafe within your vicinity. ;D

Honestly, if you want great coffee in the cup, you will need to make a commitment to it. If you want any old coffee, go for the expensive plastic box which rings your bell, but its very unlikely you will find a CSer who will recommend one.

Caffeine Junky

Sam its good that youre being honest and admitting you want the convenience of an auto machine. As far as I know they all require considerable cleaning, especially if youre an auto milk-frother.

There wont be a lot of usesful suggestions from this site, were all dedicated to results in the cup which are achieved through more manual brewing processes.

I do know that Jura have a reputation of being the better of the bunch.

Welcome to CS and you are one of many first timers asking this question.

Its pretty much what Chris said; most of us here dont consider the best coffee can be obtained simply at the push of a button, and we enjoy working for the reward of the god shot.

Having said that, if you have been enjoying the coffee from your trusty Gaggia then several sponsors from the list of on the left sell automatics eg Gilkatho oir Go Barista. At EOFY sale time, there are probably many bargains in the mainstream brands.*

Hi Sam, im just wondering which part of your gaggia is leaking? I just gotta take note if mine have any hiccups.

Sam,

Im also at the 10 year mark with my Gaggia Classic. It is still going well, however I am looking to upgrade to the new Breville when it comes out ( http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1306753526 )

It appears to be as close to auto as you can get without actually being auto. Check it out.

Cheers,
    JC.

Quote Originally Posted by 4049584B5345442A0 link=1309291759/5#5 date=1309346811
    It appears to be as close to auto as you can get without actually being auto. Check it out.
    Especially if paired with smart grinder it should just require you to switich it on wait 10 min (or ask it to switch on before you wake) push the PF in to the grinder, tamp, stick in group and press go.

Its nearly automatic ;)

Careful.......thats exactly how all your bitter, burnt, thin, dishwaters are dispensed by button pushers with no training in regular cafes...using traditional espresso machines and grinders.

Welcome to CS Sam.

If you are close by to a CS sponsor or a good coffee and equipment trader (who is not necessarily a CS sponsor), pay a visit and ask if they will do you a comparison if they have a demo auto, and a demo traditional machine.* There is no subsititute for a tangible demonstration, and you can make up ypour own mind.

I also hope you wont mind me saying, this type of question has been done to death in here so by all means use the search function, read and knock yourself out. Be careful not to be unduly influenced by the miriad of "all autos are bad" opinions that you will dig up, because if that is what you want because it is what you want, well you should do what you want and not let others opinions make you insecure about what you want. So as already said, go and check them out in a place where you can get a comparo and make up your own mind.

Dont know if you are in my locality but if you are, we are geared to show you both and remember, cheaper is not necessarily better. The better auto machines are pricey, just like the better trad machines. For my money, if I had a budget of less than 2 thousand dollars, I would stick with a good domestic traditional machine and grinder.

Rgdz,
    Attilio
    very first Cs site sponsor