Thread: Delongi Magnifica - Question on grind and quantity

Delongi Magnifica - Question on grind and quantity

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Question is not super specific to the Delongi machine, but do you find a greater quantity of coarser grind, smaller quantity of finer grind, or another combination produces the best pour.

I am getting a reasonable pour, but a thinner crema layer which breaks down quickly.

Any help appreciated.....cheers

Re: Delongi Magnifica - Question on grind and quantity

Quote Originally Posted by 133E3E2528383F333D2434510 link=1310172082/0#0 date=1310172082
    a greater quantity of coarser grind, smaller quantity of finer grind
    I find the right quantity of the right grind produces the best pour ;) Sorry for saying that...

What I mean is the basket size determines the rough quantity, NOT the pour; then the pour determines the size of the grind. Baskets are made to be dosed to a particular level. Search here for the 5c test, or keep piling it up until you get a depression left on top and then back off a bit next time. Every machine / basket comb is different.

Once youve done that, use the length of the pour (time taken to get to a 30mL single or a 60mL double) to adjust your grind size and tamp pressure, trying to keep the basket filled to roughly the same spot (post tamp) every time.

Some people even go by weighing the amount they put into a basket, but if you get used to weight, then its harder to break away from the scales!

And finally, remember not to work to fixed numbers - if its 20s of grinding and 15kg of pressure and 32 second pour this time, it may be 25s of grinding and xkg of pressure and 29 seconds next time. Go by flavour, colour, and viscosity - not numbers.

Does that help? :)

OK I just realised youre talking about a super auto so you dont have the chance to adjust the tamp pressure etc.

In that case, what I find with the super autos Ive used is set them to the strongest flavour setting, and adjust the grind finer until the machine blocks up (no coffee comes out). Next shot, back off the grinder a bit until it comes out at roughly the amount / speed mentioned above.

The problem with this is, someone else will come and select a different strength, hence adjusting the grind amount, but the flavour will be crap because the grind size and tamp pressure is fixed. So either they drink bad coffee, or they adjust the settings and you drink bad coffee... part of my pet peeve with super autos...

anyway, I hope THAT helps answer :)

Thanks for that... and yes I only have 3 knobs to play with in quantity, grind coarseness and pour time (but dont worry, no one else touches my knobs)

Will crank the strength up and grind fine and then work it backwards from there and report back.

Cheers,

Couldnt get the machine to block at all, tough little cookie! But I did screw the amount of grind right up and the grind setting to finest and then slowly backed off both a bit and have a reasonable result though.

Will be my last fully auto machine though.

thats what I find with super autos - Im trying to convince friends to go for a manual rather than a fully auto, because they want the "convenience" now but later theyll start playing with the settings and realise they cant go as far as they want...

Still, you should be able to get the magnifica to block up - how fresh are your beans?

:)

About 1 week old from a site sponsor here.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 5D70706B6676717D736A7A1F0 link=1310172082/4#4 date=1310603189
    I did screw the amount of grind right up and the grind setting to finest and then slowly backed off both a bit and have a reasonable result
    Yep.
    I find with most superautos that the finest grind and the biggest dose is the best starting point.

The gotcha with most of them is the very small physical puck size so you really want to get lots of coffee in there.

The other thing to do is to set it to a short volume shot, maybe only 20ml. Give yourself a double button press and hey presto, it should be a pretty good 40ml espresso.

Never thought about that..... less volume per shot and just do 2 shots.

As for the puck size, they seem to be a fair quantity and size when I empty them from the machine. A bit rounder than a 50c piece and almost an inch thick.

Cant rate Qld Coffee Machine Sales highly enough though with servicing the machine and doing that little bit extra.... Woohoo!!

also dont leave the hopper full of beans - they will age quite quickly. Measure out what youre going to use.

Im not sure what Andy would suggest about clearing the grinder - perhaps grind an empty shot after youve finished to clear any leftover grinds? And give the first shot of the day to someone else ;)

Im struggling with sourness from our Magnifica, so if you have any clues on that let me know!