Thread: Another Breville question......but about category generally

Another Breville question......but about category generally

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Thank you for all of the responses to my last question about the Breville vs Silvia. I am very interested in the Breville machine as think it will be more suitable for our needs (i.e. making a number of milky drinks at a time every day) and I am willing to take the risk with reliability - just wanted to check whether there is any other machine around that category that would be better and why? I have dabbled a look at the semi-auto Exobar and Zaffiro dual boiler. Thanks again

Re: Another Breville question......but about category generally

I was wondering the same as well. In fact I am moving my post from the other thread to here. What I was thinking was the Nuova Simonelli Oscar, which is $1300, a 2L boiler, heat exchanger (HX) machine, which I have read is a good, reliable machine for the price. Obviously no easily accessible boiler temperature control, but I think this boiler is much bigger than the brevilles? (I cant seem to find out how big the Breville boilers are.)

And for less than $1500 you can get many second hand machines around here...

EDIT: Breville brew boiler: 300 ml, steam: 950ml, per the other thread.

Oh, and this Lelit with PID control.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1211848740/14#14

I think youll find the Zafiro is a single boiler not a dual boiler and the Lelit is not in the same category, more in line with the Silvia. Other machines mentioned would be great also like the Expobar Office semi auto but I think the Breville has a lot more features in the pids, I also looked at the Bezera BZ99 and the Diadema Perfetta. I think with the Nuova Oscar it will not make several milk drinks in a row without having to wait for steam, Im no expert so please feel free to correct me if im wrong. I keep looking and keep coming back to the Breville as the one to pick, it seems to tick all the boxes for me

Nuova Oscar has a 2L boiler. From my laymans perspective this is twice as big as the steam boiler on the Breville... from what I heard the steam power is pretty good.

I dont doubt its got good steam and as I dont have one I also dont know if you can make a few milk drinks in a row while you brew, someone here will know though no doubt. I liked the look of the Oscar from the reading I have done and the thing that stopped me going any further with one is that it doesnt have any hot water outlet which may not be a big deal but I just think it would be nice to have the availability of hot water if you want it.

Yes Tonym1 you are correct.

It is more the Exobar and Oscar I have also considered. I think I need an excel chart of specs!

Folks, forget about the "my boiler is bigger than yours" argument.

You are trying to compare machines that are built to operate in very different ways. For example, open the steam wand on most HX domestic machines and the pressure will drop to near zero (useless) before 2 minutes have gone by. The Breville, or other dual boiler machines, will continue to produce steam as long as there is water in the reservoir.

The pid Lelit looks like it will be a nice machine to have for those who have a definite limit of $1k for a machine. Personally, Id spend the extra for the Breville but you need to make a decision based on your preference.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2C3A3F3F2E2C2029292A2A4F0 link=1310286386/7#7 date=1310330386
    The pid Lelit looks like it will be a nice machine to have for those who have a definite limit of $1k for a machine.
    Agreed. In fact, I cant see why youd buy a Silvia and then retrofit a PID now.

As a shot machine, I am sure that the Lelit will be terrific.

For those considering more than 2 milky coffees, I think the Breville will be worth waiting (and saving) for. If it saves a single bout of upgraditis, youre ahead.

Sandy, I think your brief is a HX/Breville brief.

Chris