Thread: Faema Family Espresso

Faema Family Espresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Ive been lurking around for a while and wanted to start off by saying thanks for a great site and such generous sharing of knowledge and the palpable passion for coffee..

Very luckily I recently found a Faema Family Espresso and matching grinder at a garage sale. The machine generates steam and pumps out hot water when I hit the right buttons and open the right valves. (Thanks to Grendel for the posting of the manual - it might have been a whole different story otherwise).

The problem is that when I hit the coffee button only a weak drip or two of water comes out. It makes a coffee but I could walk to Timbuktu in the time it would deliver a single shot.

Id love any help I could get on what might be the cause and how i might fix it. I popped the top and there is a slow drippy leak from a brass t-junction inside. It looks like this joint has been puttied up previously. Ive circled it on the attached photo.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Cheers . . . . Adam.

Re: Faema Family Espresso

A bit more info on the machine.

It looks like its from the 80s. Its a tan/cream color and the case is cast, powder coated aluminum. The matching grinder is a similar build/style and they both sit on a custom "base plate" with lugs to hold each machine in place.

Thanks . . .

i had one of these for a while.
    i think from memory the t junction is the opv essentially. so you can adjust the max pressure. just a thought, maybe someone has tinkered with it and reduced the pressure right down, so maybe needs to be turned up?
    have you taken off the shower screen and made sure theres no buildup of old oils and coffee?
    what happens when you push the brew switch with no group handle in? are you still only getting a drip from the grouphead?

aaron

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

I did take the shower head off and there was slightly more water coming out, but not much. I soaked the screen in CLR and "rigorously tested it" by blowing into each of the 6 holes on the top of the screen. It didnt feel or sound blocked.

Being new to this, i have to ask: is OPV = Overflow/overall Pressure Valve? Therefore would the large brass nut on the top increase/decrease pressure? Is this in the boiler or does it regulate between the boiler and the group set? There seems to be ample pressure coming through he steam wand.

I think Ill pull the lid of again. Cheers . . .

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2D2B39352F2D202029282D282D214C0 link=1310561298/3#3 date=1310590334
    I soaked the screen in CLR.....
    Im not prepared to drink CLR Adam. Dunno if its a good idea to have it anywhere near an espresso machine

if youre new to machines and happy to tinker, then tinker away at your own peril. learning can be expensive...
    or if in melb takes it down to 9bar dudes in abbotsford.

also youll prob need a brew pressure guage to help identfy
    max brew pressure.
    i think unwinding the brass nut would lead to higher pressure, from memory.
    that might not be the prob at all though.
    the machine might be covered in gunk and sludge inside...
    could be the 3-way valve too, which releases pressure after pulling a shot.
    i had probs with my 3 way valve and got it replaced by craig from 9bar.
    aaron

aaron