Thread: Beans for La pavoni

Beans for La pavoni

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a La Pavoni Pro from Italy. Its a Pre-Mil model, and it took me a good two weeks before I pulled a decent shot. I drink most small cappicinos and the odd ristretto if studying.

I have been purchasing beans from coffeehit in Melbourne quiet religously (good quality and selection), but I am looking to branch out more and try new roasts.

So my question is: can anyone recommend a good blend (or S.O.) for a La Pavoni bearing in mind the machine is more suited to short drinks than than the long milk based types. So Im guessing medium to dark roasts would be more ideal.

Thanks.

Re: Beans for La pavoni

I gather you have a Europiccola? Ive had mine about 3 weeks. Got a roasted sample pack from the bean bay.
    I drink double espressos.
    Fiefys Latte art. Dont like this much. My son does but he drinks milk with it.
    Ethiopian Harrar Longberry. Absolutely Lovely. (Drinking this at the moment)
    Sumatran Mandheling Select. Very Good.
    Colombian Volcan Galeras. Very Good.
    Id suggest you get a sample pack and play around.
    Had some costa rican something or other from seven seeds and it was excellent but expensive.
    The Grinders house blend I used in my old machine isnt so good in this machine as was an espresso blend from a local roaster (Caffe Romeo).
    I rarely produce anything undrinkable now.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ive got a Professional mated with a Jolly Grinder. As soon as Ive worked through my current bag Ill definitely look those up.

Oh, and Im picking up another La Pav Pro when Im in Rome next month.

Bean selections plenty work really well as you can play with all the variables on one of these. If you are around the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne lots of great choices to try out. Depends on what style of coffee you prefer rather than what suits the machine.

With the Pavoni timing (watch your not to hot) and a good grind are the most important bits. My preference is still the fine grind and very light tamp option to get the best shots from my Pav. :)

The main thing I think is that the roast be FRESH. I got some just roasted South blend from Coffee Supreme, and I have just finished doing up a Europiccola. It took me surprisingly little time to get a great espresso - I think the first shot I pulled after adjusting the grind was one of the best shots Ive had at home.

My grind was one notch coarser than I use for my pump machine, dose level to the top of the double filter basket and a light tamp. I allow a few seconds at the top of the lever arc for the brew water to expand the coffee before pulling the shot.

I cant wait for tomorrow morning to make more coffee!!

*Edit - Yep, Coffee Supreme not Supreme Roasters :-[

I gather you mean the South blend from Coffee Supreme ;) I have had a few coffees made with this one and I have been meaning to chase up a bag of it to play with on my toys.

Thanks for the replies. I live in Tamworth so I order online and generally the roasts are less than 3 days old before I get them- sometimes less.

Had an interesting experience this morning. Dialled the grind one finer, usual dose and tamp. Infused for 10s and pulled down quickly for a ristretto. Handle came down to around half way before choking, with only a few drops in the cup. Reckoned wth, so I raised it, refilled, and pulled again. This time an extremely slow almost dripping flow resulted which took 25s to complete. All in all from first pull to end of second must have been around 45s. good crema.

I thought I might as well taste it before I chuck it. Expecting to spit out some vile bitter devils sweat I positioned myself at the sink and..... Wow, it was as sweet as- no hint of bitterness.

Rather confused about pulling a great ristretto with what would normally be an overextracted abort. And the crema was dark with tiger stripping.

You need to think differently with a lever and especially with the Pavoni. Over extracted on a pumped machine is caused by a slow shot at a constant 9bar or so while on a Pav you set the pressure and if you taper it or not so shot times can be played with.

The current blend I am trying at work I have been running from 25-40+ second double pours after 7 or 8 second PI on a spring lever. Brighter and more zing when done quicker and big bodied and sweet at the slower end. Pulling the doubles from Synesso triples BTW.

If you want to try the fine grind option some more some more then drop down to 1-2kg of tamp max.