Thread: UK Miss Silvia in Australia

UK Miss Silvia in Australia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I hope somebody more technically minded than me can help!

I have recently emmigrated to Australia from the UK, and my belongings have finally made it over.* I have a Rancilio Silvia that I want to use over here.* The specification of the machine is standard UK (9 months old) and I fully expected it to work with a plug adapter as all my other electronic goods have been fine.

On first firing up the machine the wall plugs in the house all tripped out, on changing to a more robust (expensive) adapter the machine stayed on.* However this time however I receive an electric shock if I touched the machine AT THE SAME TIME as other metals e.g. sink or toaster.* Of course I managed to do this twice before realising I should unplug it!* :D

On the bottom of the machine the voltage says 230v and the 50/60 Hz.* Can anyone confirm whether the machine should indeed work, and whether the they know what the problem is and whether I can fix it.* It would pain me to have to purchase another machine so soon after shelling out extortionate UK prices.

Thanks in advance

Dean

TC

Re: UK Miss Silvia in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 5657535C595C5D4A320 link=1311494775/0#0 date=1311494775
    On first firing up the machine the wall plugs in the house all tripped out, on changing to a more robust (expensive) adapter the machine stayed on.* However this time however I receive an electric shock if I touched the machine AT THE SAME TIME as other metals e.g. sink or toaster.* Of course I managed to do this twice before realising I should unplug it!*

Thanks in advance

Dean
    :o :o Take it to a service centre before you get killed Dean. If the body is live, there is something very wrong with the machine.

Have it repaired and ditch the adaptor for an Aussie plug at the same time.

Chris

I test and tag appliances in NSW and something which does what you are saying it does either has a bad earth and an insulation breakdown or is double insulated and has an insulation breakdown. At present it is a partial breakdown as you are not dead enough to not be posting* :P

If it had a full breakdown you would get the full 240V or the at least 100V you need to be dead. Dont turn it back on until its been serviced - it could kill you any time.

Anyone who plans to test something like this should put one hand in their pocket and touch it with the back of their other hand. Earthing the faulty appliance through your chest to the sink WILL KILL YOU most of the time.

Preferably have the appliance tested with a PAT (portable appliance tester) or a mega!

KJM

Have to agree with all the above Dean. But the actual fault might be due to the shipping. Could be little more than "gunge" getting moved around and partially shorting the mains.

If it was working before you left, it cant be something that catastrophic..

Dillos and Chriss advice above about not becoming a dead person cant be undersold though. You definitely have a current leakage to earth.

One other random possible thing it might be is the actual adapter youre using. Swapping earth and neutral will also give you a warm tingle. Given that UK plugs are usually end-user wired it could also be the UK plug...

/Kevin

Goodness knoxatron,

Good to know something tripped as a safety measure to save you.
    Best to take your machine to a qualified and certified electrician to have a look see, and for your peace of mind.
    That way he will tell you exactly whats the cause.

Gary at G

Thanks for all the great advice guys. Can anyone recommend a Rancilio service centre in Sydney?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2B2A2E21242120374F0 link=1311494775/5#5 date=1311627230
    Thanks for all the great advice guys. Can anyone recommend a Rancilio service centre in Sydney?
    Hello Knox,

CS sponsors Di Bartoli and Jetblack both sell and service the Sylvia.

Dennis of Cuppacoffee has Carlo Lampasona as his tech. Carlo has a wealth of industry experience.

Heres hoping for a rapid return to home coffee ;)

Chris

Ditto here.

Let us know the outcome. Would be interesting to know.

Gary at G