Thread: Advice please

Advice please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi people . . . my head is spinning just trying to take in all the facts, techniques and opinions here. I need some guidance. Whilst I realise that everybody has their favourite methods and machines, and opinions are widely diverse, can I ask; is there a sub $1000 home espresso machine (without grinder) that stands out from the crowd, and is GENERALLY highly regarded by the majority? I simply dont have the budget to experiment. Any feedback gratefully received.
    Lindsay.

Re: Advice please

Gday Linzoid, and welcome.

Since you asked for a machine thats highly regarded, I can certainly recommend the Rancilio Silvia as the choice of machine that gives a strong sense of value due to its strong construction and a reliability that can go up to 10 years or beyond.

Its a machine that has a cult following worldwide.
    If you want to add a PID later as an accessory, it may still come within budget. :)

Im very happy with mine.

Gary at G

Thanks Gary . . . I must say that the Silvia does seem to be mentioned quite frequently here. A woman in a coffee equipment shop in Lygon St in Melbourne wanted to sell me one recently, but Im always wary of recommendations from retailers !

Hi Linzoid,

The other one to consider is the Lelit PL41 single boiler - it comes in a variety of configurations (with or without grinder) and you can even get one with a PID for $100 under your budget. Check out the Jetblack sponsor page for details.

But as Gary said, the Silvia has been the benchmark in the class for many many years.

Cheers

Sniff

The Lelit is also the other one that people decide about, its the Silvia/Lelit back and forth discussion.* Me personally Id go the new Lelit with PID and pressure gauge but that is where I am at personally.* As Gary said you can always PID the Silvia later if you go that way.

I had a laugh snap Sniff, must learn to type quicker :)

Miss Silva is the benchmark

But many others do much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 484D4A5E4B4D40240 link=1311584007/2#2 date=1311585472
    Thanks Gary . . . I must say that the Silvia does seem to be mentioned quite frequently here. A woman in a coffee equipment shop in Lygon St in Melbourne wanted to sell me one recently, but Im always wary of recommendations from retailers !
    I suspect it was Grinders and they are usually pretty straight. Found their prices to be reasonable too. I work near them and find them good for a chat about coffee gear. It was them explaining lever machines to me that led to me getting the Pavoni, even though they dont sell them.
    Coffee -A-Roma in Camberwell also sell the Silvia at a good price and they are a sponsor.

Isomac Venus? Just under $900 delivered from Europe? Better machine than Silvia (larger boiler).

TC

I think the bar has been lifted beyond the Silvia now.

If I was shopping in this price bracket, the Lelit PL041TEM. As it already has an inbuilt PID, nothing needs to be modified and no warranties need to be voided. For me, its the pick of this bunch with the next step in single boiler machines being a Scace calibrated e-61 like the VBM Domobar Piccolo or Diadema Perfetta. Theyre a whole heap more though.

Chris