Thread: How to clean my mokita combi

How to clean my mokita combi

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I recently bought a used mokita combi, and is now dismantled for repairs.

Id like to take this opportunity to clean absolutely everything that can be cleaned, including the boiler.

Can anyone shed some light on how to do this for this particular machine, including what parts and cleaners are needed?

thanks!!

Re: How to clean my mokita combi

As you have everythign apart, it would be quite easy to clean. You can buy some descaling solution from Cafetto, as well as some cleaning powder (used for backflushing). You can soak the parts in the descaling solution you make up as recommended and watch all the scale magically disappear!! Rinse thoroughly (just follow instructions on the product). Same for the cleaning solution, you can make up the solution using hot water and soak parts in it, and/or scrib with brush, its amazing how much old coffee stuff gets removed. Rinse.

They you can buy a new group seal and all should be dandy. I cant think of any other bits that might wear out, perhaps the boiler o-ring if its too old to reuse?

Also, do a search for a recent thread on an easy fix for leaky steam valves, using a bit of heat shrink.

Cheers

Is it possible to open the boiler, clean and reseal? or is it risky?

Jolt, if you google Domestic Espresso Machine Repairs, the first link will take you to a site with information about repairing a Lelit boiler. Click on "Articles" on the right hand side and youll see the repair guide in the list.

Hope this helps.

G.

Leaky steam valve solution thread:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1311237977

This is the article mentioned above: http://coffeeco.com.au/articles/lelitrepair.html

Cheers

nice, thanks artman.

Do you know where I can buy the orings, etc? should be cheap so I might as well change them if im pulling apart the thing?

Not sure, you could probably ask one of the sponsors that sells the Lelits, they may know if they are the same. Or if you have no luck, take your boiler and o ring to bearing/seals place and they should be able to match it up.

From a previous thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1308093215 , it seems the orings are quite long lasting. That thread also has some info you might find useful.

I have yet to take apart my Nemox cafe del opera for a complete clean, descale etc.

Cheers

There should be no problems opening the boiler, Ive found the big o-ring to be pretty durable, although they do compress slightly over time. Jetblack should be able to help you with a new one if needed (same as lelit), they are generally included with replacement elements. Its a viton (high temperature stable) o-ring as well I think.

Ive had the copper tube that protrudes through the top of the boiler (on machines that have a 3-way solenoid only) break at the base trying to remove it, which was annoying to say the least so if there are signs of heavy scale buildup watch out for that one.

Also dont forget to re-attach the earth lug when you put it all back!

RyanM

Quote Originally Posted by 7E656F67536E6362680C0 link=1312292657/7#7 date=1312377663
    There should be no problems opening the boiler, Ive found the big o-ring to be pretty durable, although they do compress slightly over time. Jetblack should be able to help you with a new one if needed (same as lelit), they are generally included with replacement elements. Its a viton (high temperature stable) o-ring as well I think.

Ive had the copper tube that protrudes through the top of the boiler (on machines that have a 3-way solenoid only) break at the base trying to remove it, which was annoying to say the least so if there are signs of heavy scale buildup watch out for that one.

Also dont forget to re-attach the earth lug when you put it all back!
    Ive snapped my copper tube too, its easy to do so watch out!