Thread: Thinking of buying the Breville 900

Thinking of buying the Breville 900

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im thinking about selling my two year old rocket and buying the Breville 900. But what im not sure on is will it be better or will i be going backwards.

Re: Thinking of buying the Breville 900

Grunta, as with any machine purchase, ideally you should try before you buy.

The problem is that there arent too many places around where you can do that with the 900. If you happen to live in Sydney then give me (Cuppacoffee) a call on 0404 049 812 and Id be happy to arrange a time to demonstrate it. If you happen to live in Melbourne, then Chris from Talk Coffee also has a demo model.

Thanks for the offer Dennis but I live in New Zealand.

I was over there and saw them at the Aroma festival but couldnt get a go on one because they were so busy. Well ill just have to wait until they are selling them here and then see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 694A424244250 link=1314169559/2#2 date=1314171273
    Thanks for the offer Dennis but I live in New Zealand.
    Oh, well, if youre a kiwi then I have no interest in helping you. ;D

Seriously though, I hope there will be some way you get to have a play with one. The Giotto is a wonderful machine and the 900 is a different tool; not the bling and rep of the Giotto but has some useful features that are very easy to initiate. For me, the ease with which you can make a change to temp or preinfusion times then return to the program means that its more likely for users to use the features and experiment with their coffee.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Grunta, e-mail one of my kiwi colleagues melanie.birch@breville.com.au . I am certain they have just got a few 900s in, so shell be able to direct you to a local stockist.

Regards,

Dave

PS yeah were damn busy at Aroma, but I hope you at least got a coffee from us.

Quote Originally Posted by 51727A7A7C1D0 link=1314169559/0#0 date=1314169559
    Im thinking about selling my two year old rocket and buying the Breville 900.
    Gday Grunta. have you made a decision on this?
    Ive been agonising over the same question. Been thinking of putting my HX up for sale and buying the Breville. I expect to get a price close to what the Breville will cost so would almost be a straight swap. Im hoping to have a play on one some time to help the decision, but I think the main thing is the ability to control extraction temperature. It seems to be generally accepted that different beans can taste better at a different temperature, but does it matter?

I had some initial dramas with managing temperature on my HX, but after some minor modifications and a bit of learning to put up with "cooling flushes", I now get shots that run at a pretty consistent 93 deg c.

I read this in the Breville owners thread >>>
    Quote Originally Posted by 10020D103C100C16000A630 link=1312978609/104#104 date=1313977519
    I havent found a coffee that tastes better off the factory default of 93 degrees yet, but its very interesting to note the changes in the cup when moving temperature around.
    and then I wonder if Ill get much benefit from being able to change the temp. The coffee I get from the Mondiale is excellent. Its arguably one of the best looking of the shiny Italian HX machines. The simplicity of a HX means that I should expect it to last a lot longer than a Breville. Its not the most powerful steamer in its class but will still (as far as I know) give me excellent microfoam in less time than it would take on the Breville.
    However all that aside, I like the idea of Brevilles PID controlled extraction. Im a bit of a perfectionist (much to my wifes amusement - she doesnt share my enthusiasm for the benefits of using an infra-red thermometer when cooking on the stove). In hindsight I dont think a HX machine was the right choice for me, given my tendency to get a bit obsessed over details, but Ive learnt to accept it for what it is, and enjoy the excellent coffee it produces...
    The only other benefit I can see with the Breville is the adjustable pre-infusion, but that feature alone isnt enough to make me switch. Will I get better coffee with a Breville? Im not sure I could answer that question for myself even if I can have a "play" on one. To know for sure Ill probably need to buy one, or trust someone elses opinion whos tested both options

Quote Originally Posted by 6E42425D485F1B147E2D0 link=1314169559/5#5 date=1315135583
    The coffee I get from the Mondiale is excellent.* Its arguably one of the best looking of the shiny Italian HX machines.
    The BES900 is excellent and I am enjoying it but....

The new mini is excellent car but you drive a 69 Copper S (I assume)

Quote Originally Posted by 06104C034C084C120B010907100B0C05620 link=1314169559/6#6 date=1315136210
    The BES900 is excellent and I am enjoying it
    I realise I would get excellent coffee with either machine.* given that I enjoy being precise with stuff, the prospect of enjoying the experience more with the Breville is what makes me think of switching.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D6B377837733769707A727C6B70777E190 link=1314169559/6#6 date=1315136210
    but you drive a 69 Copper S (I assume)
    used to... selling it was a really stupid decision - huge regrets.* I thought it was my only choice at the time.* In hindsight it wasnt.* at some stage Ill have to change my username :( or buy another Cooper S* 8-)
    Im a bit worried that if I sell the Isomac I might end up regretting that too...

Quote Originally Posted by 103C3C233621656A00530 link=1314169559/7#7 date=1315138497
    Im a bit worried that if I sell the Isomac I might end up regretting that too...
    You are just going to have to wait until you can afford both on the counter at the same time :P

Quote Originally Posted by 0C20203F2A3D79761C4F0 link=1314169559/5#5 date=1315135583
    Gday Grunta.* have you made a decision on this?
    Hi Cooper69S, I have ordered a BES 900 and probaly sell the rocket at a later date. I like the sound of all the features on the 900 especialy the way you can play around with the preinfusion time and how it keeps a consistent extraction temperature. Well I just have to wait for it now which allways seems to take for ever [smiley=sad.gif]

Keep the Giotto for a while. Unless you really want to tinker with brew temps then I reckon the Giotto is still a better machine.

You may find you end up selling the Breville once the novelty wears off.

Quote Originally Posted by 4741565D4740585A330 link=1314169559/10#10 date=1315201376
    Keep the Giotto for a while.* Unless you really want to tinker with brew temps then I reckon the Giotto is still a better machine.

Interesting .... would love to hear why

Quote Originally Posted by 3A3C2B203A3D25274E0 link=1314169559/10#10 date=1315201376
    Keep the Giotto for a while.* Unless you really want to tinker with brew temps then I reckon the Giotto is still a better machine.

Ive used both and so far been more succesful at making great coffee consistently on my BES900.

How long the BES900 will last is a different question, however when it comes to usability and consistency its pretty amazing.

Cheers,
    Bach

I must stop reading this wretched forum!! I was all set to fight MoF and get the Simonelli Musica (naturally he wants the cheaper Oscar) and I came across the Breville threads which has muddied the waters still further. I would love to see one in action, does anyone know if there is anywhere in Perth which stocks them? MoF likes the snob value of the Italian machines but as long as I can get a good machine Australian made would be great. B y the way, could I get a very hot Capp from the B reville?

Quote Originally Posted by 6661677E7F7D60140 link=1314169559/13#13 date=1315896856
    but as long as I can get a good machine Australian made would be great
    The Breville is not made in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by 6661677E7F7D60140 link=1314169559/13#13 date=1315896856
    B y the way, could I get a very hot Capp from the B reville?
    youll be the one steaming the milk so it (and any manual machine) will make it as hot as you like, although its generally accepted that the flavour of milk starts going south around the 65 deg C mark.

Developed by Breville Australia to incorporate features of a commercial cafe and made affordable by being produced in China.

You might want to try contacting the sponsors here about the Breville first before trying the major retailers first.
    Its important to be able to depend on people with strong product knowledge and after sales service during the time you have the machine.* :)

Gary at G

Im a Kiwi too and I have been hanging out to see the new Breville (I was sufficiently anally retentive to download the manual from the Breville website to read). Anyway just this week I called into the local Harvey Norman and found that the NZ stock had finally arrived. They had 2 in store. One on the shelf so I had a bit of a play with it - you know pulled the tamper down and stuck it back, took the porta filter out etc.
    A really pleasant young bloke came over and asked if I wanted to try it out. I naturally said yes, so he filled the machine, turned it on and while we waited for the temp to come up, he went and grabbed a fresh unopened bag of beans and a bottle of milk. He passed all this to me and said "go ahead". A smart grinder was on the shelf just beside the BDB and so without changing the grind I filled the portafilter, tamped and put in the BDB. All settings were left on default and so I pressed the 2-shot button and out came espresso with wonderful crema. I partly filled the jug, whacked it under the steam wand and in no time I had wonderful smooth milk. It tasted pretty damned good too even in polystyrene cups!

I couldnt believe how this combo could produce the goods straight out of the box. The other observation is that both the grinder (cf SB em480) and machine (cf Saeco VV) were so quiet. Also the steaming of the milk was very quick.

I was so impressed that the boxed BDB left the store with me.

It appears in NZ that these machines will only be sold by big box retailers which is a shame. I like the thought of the businesses the sponsors run, but in the part of NZ I live in these people dont exist.

I havent had a chance to get BDB out of its box yet - I will save that pleasure for the weekend. And yes, I am matching with the smart grinder. The combo will give me the best of all worlds. I can experiment using manual and my wife can grind the right amount of beans and use the BDBs auto function leaving her with just the tamping to get right!