Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Journeyman
  • 2 Post By mulquemi
  • 1 Post By snarkophilus

Thread: em6910 no water problem

em6910 no water problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I have an EM6910 and we havent used it in a while. I couldnt handle coffee during pregnancy so we just stopped it one day and left the machine. Didnt think to clean it or anything before we stopped.

Today I thought to clean the machine before starting to use it again. I put the descaling tablet in the water and started up the manual button but nothing came out. After trying that for a bit and it not working, I thought to try running just clean water so I took the descaling water out and put normal water and then tried running it through the steam wand as well as the group head and the hot water thing. But there is no water coming out. Initially there was a few little drips here and there.

Any idea what I can do? Weve spent a fair bit on this machine repairing it previously so I want to do what I can try before having to take it in.

Is there an amount of time I should keep trying to run water through it?

Thanks in advance!

WiredArabica

Re: em6910 no water problem

Assuming the pump is running (can you hear it?), there is the possibility of an air lock in the anti-calc filter in the tank, or it could be blocked. One would normally remove that before running the descaling solution and if you did that then there goes that hypothesis.

If you didnt take the filter out, perhaps try removing it then filling & refitting the tank before running the hot water for a minute or so to see if water is getting through the rest of the system. If it does then the anti calc filter is clogged or theres an air lock, either way an easy fix.

If it isnt that, then its likely either the pump or a blockage internally.

Hi,

Thankyou. I dont have the anti-calc filter in the tank and have tried running water through the system so that it comes out of the steam wand or the hot water tap but it isnt working anywhere. Im pretty sure something is blocked inside. is there anything i can do for a blockage inside the machine?

The machine is working I assume as it makes all the normal noises and it seems to be tryign to pump water through. There are a few drips here and there occasionally but then it usually stops.

Happy to report that after letting it sit for about 20 minutes and retrying it it is all working now. Now running the descaling through it :) Must have been some kind of temporary blockage.

Spoke too soon. Water did run through everything. I stopped the machine. Put the descaling liquid back in and nothing. So I turned it off, put normal water in and will try again. First try again nothing. I wonder if the descaling is blockign it up somehow?

OK thankfully water is running through everything again. I dont think Ill be trying the descaling solution again. Might try the vinegar one I did last time instead - this one I used the descaling tablets for the first time.

WiredArabica

Hmm, strange.
    The proper descaling solution does clean better than vinegar so if it hasnt run that before and its had a bit of use there could be a build up in there thats getting dislodged by the solution and clogging things up.* Might be an idea to run a vinegar solution through first followed by the descaler?

Yep will try that. I am pretty sure the descaling is causing something because the water is running through fine. So will try the vinegar and then try the descaling solution.

Rbn

Keep us posted on what happens. I have commented on another post on the steam boiler. My son, who lives in Christchurch, has this unit and his steam wand has become so slow he is thinking of dumping the machine and getting a new one. I am a fixit type person and want to get it going again for him.

Hi there,

I recently bought a Sunmbeam EM6910 second-hand and am having the same problem as you in which no water is coming out. I have read alot of these reviews prior to posting this up as I have tried everything to make it work but still have got nothing for a result. I know it is quite an older model by maybe a year or a few but I am looking desperately for any advice that can help me with making the water run again. I have already taken out the anti-calc gauge in which I've just poured filter water into the water resovoir and still managed to get no water running at all. Initially there were a few drips here and there but now there's nothing. I am sure that there is something blocking the air lock or the filter preventing water to run smoothly so that coffee shots can be poured and the wand being able to steam milk as well as producing hot water.

Thanks in advance!

!st thing to check - is there a red light on at the front, bottom right of the machine? If so, the magnet in the water tank is probably stuffed. It's a float device in a little plastic box to the left (looking from front) of the water tank. When it drops to the bottom it means (normally) the water is low and the light flashes and turns off the water flow.

Check the magnet is there. Make sure it isn't stuck in the bottom of it's pocket. Find another magnet and prop it up int eh tank and see if water now flows. If a different magnet causes it to work, get onto eBay and buy a new one - only a few bucks.

The water pump is quite loud and separate to the steam pump - you should be able to hear it trying to pump. If you can't hear it from across the room (or up close obviously) it isn't running.

The water system and the steam system meet only in the water tank. (i.e. also totally separate) If both aren't working the magnet is the most likely answer.
    kazz likes this.

Hi Guys I'm new to this site and I'm have a similar problem with my em6910 machine. I've got like no pressure at the group head it drips out only and the pump is working normally just very little water or coffee comes out, also the Red light on the front bottom right of the machine comes on and flashes and will not stop until I turn the machine off. I've looked at the float in the tank and it's working fine, its sitting at the top and moves freely up & down. So why is it flashing constantly and why do I have no water/coffee from the group head. And how do I stop the light coming on and it occasionally beeps as well as flashing.

em6910 water problem..lack of

kazz,
    I have a identical model ,got it from the tip shop in not working condition then pulled it apart and works ever so sweetly now.
    The magnet problem occured with mine as well so just placed a round magnet (from a microwave although any reasonably strong one will do) placed it on the metal (rear) door so it was up and close to the right hand edge of the water tank (looking from the rear) solved the beeping and flashing business.Another replacement magnet may also solve the problem however,I wasn't about to over capitalise of my $10 machine so I just keep an eye on the water level instead of waiting for the beeping or flashing light telling me the water level is low.

I also had water problems ...rather lack of water,had to prime the brew pump,used a brand new (cheap) hydrometer or battery acid specific gravity tester,you can also use a turkey baster pump.
    Remove the water tank,locate the silicone hose that goes into the water tank,place the baster (bulb pump) onto the end of the water hose (bulb pump being full of water).
    Switch on the machine ,wait for all the lights to settle down to ready state,activate manual and while the pump activates ,press on the bulb to force water into the pump...this will fully prime the pump,now turn off the machine and reinstall the water tank (full opf water).
    If you go through the switching on procedure ,then, when ready try again and your machine should pump water out the brew head,as it's suppose to.
    Give it a go and see what happens,keep us in the loop as I'm interested if you have success.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by kazz View Post
    Hi Guys I'm new to this site and I'm have a similar problem with my em6910 machine. I've got like no pressure at the group head it drips out only and the pump is working normally just very little water or coffee comes out, also the Red light on the front bottom right of the machine comes on and flashes and will not stop until I turn the machine off. I've looked at the float in the tank and it's working fine, its sitting at the top and moves freely up & down. So why is it flashing constantly and why do I have no water/coffee from the group head. And how do I stop the light coming on and it occasionally beeps as well as flashing.
    kazz and snarkophilus like this.

Thanks Mick, I've done the magnet trick to stop the low water light, so one issue sorted. Now the flow issue. I pulled machine apart last night and cleaned everything really well and used pipe cleaners to clean pipes etc. I've got a bit more flow, but still not right, so I might go to supercheap and buy a hydrometer (I've worked in the automotive industry for years, so yes I know what it is I had a laugh).
    I'll give your suggestion a go, and see if I can get the flow to increase as its just not the normal flow that it had prior to this and I'm going to replace the shower head/ group head seal as well as I've never done it. Its been a great machine in the 5 years I've had it and this is the first problem(s) I've ever had with it and its done a power of work, but I always back flush and descale etc so I hope the hydrometer works. I'll let you know how I go with it. Thanks

Jazz,great to know you stopped the buzz and flashing,group head seal won't contribute to your lack of water,won't hurt getting a new seal though,I didn't want to over capitalise on my costs so I just installed a home made shim behind the seal,works great.
    Once I got my unit's water flowing correctly ,I then only ever used tank water (rain water),town water in any water heating device is always asking for trouble ( IMHO).
    Cheers
    Mick.

Well I did the hydrometer thing and no luck still. I even forced the water through with a 80ml syringe and the water came out of the group head with good flow but put tank back in and tried and back to the same flow again. I'm starting to think the pump might have an issue and not pumping properly or something. Scratching my head. If I run a coffee through it the pressure gauge works, but it only just reaches the first yellowish section and takes forever for the pour to come out, so you only get part of the shot No the full amount.

Kazz,
    Sorry you weren't rewarded with a working pump after all that effort,next check worth doing is to determine whether the pump is actually functioning.
    Disconnect the outlet tube from the brew pump (red pump,not the blue one) and make sure it is directed safely and activate the brew (press manual button) you should hopefully have water pumping out.....if so then you pump in ok and blockage is down stream further.
    If you have no water issueing from disconneccted outlet and a noisy pump,you still have hope of getting it working,most ULKA vibration pumps are easily dismantled cleared and reassembled,just take your time and be aware there are small and fragile seals and springs inside,try not to lose any bits.

See how you go with that.
    Cheers
    mick

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My EM6910 hasn't been used for about a year and my BES920 went in for repairs. Was disappointed when the Sunbeam didn't. I got exactly the symptoms described in this thread and forcing some water in to the pump with a squeezy sauce bottle with the nozzle cut short worked a treat.
    mulquemi likes this.