Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EM6910 v Silvia v the world!

SUNBEAM EM6900

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just yesterday, I felt the need to use the sunbeam tablet to clean my 6 month old EM6900. *Cleaning out the machine with the tablet was fine , but when it came to descaling the machine i proceeded through the process stated in the instructions. *I unscrewed the screw in the brewing filter / shower screen from the upside of the grouphead, but i couldnt seem to get the filter/shower screen out. I tried everything I could think of. *Heres hoping someone has already found a way to get the filter out so I can complete the process of descaling my coffee maker.

Thanks
    :-/
    Hughesy

Re: SUNBEAM EN6900

According to Sunbeam it is not possible for the user to remove the shower screen.
    The manual is wrong in stating that you can.

Cheers,
    dickwyn

Thanks Dickwyn,

Then do you just finish the descaling process with it on. Does it matter. After cleaning the machine I dont get a good creme any more?

Hughesy

How many shots have you pulled since cleaning the machine.

My instructions say to run one through to re-season the machine.
    I usually run two.
    They both get thrown straight down the drain naturally.

Please rinse your machine thoroughly with at least 1 or 2 liters of water after descaling.
    I had no problems after that.
    Success
    dickwyn

Quote Originally Posted by dickwyn link=1166175758/0#1 date=1166184536
    According to Sunbeam it is not possible for the user to remove the shower screen.
    The manual is wrong in stating that you can.
    So how do you make sure the dispersion block is clean? Do you just let the blind pf sit in the group with dissolved detergent in it for several minutes?

Cheers,

Luca

Re: SUNBEAM EM6900

Hughesy,

It is possible to remove the shower screen however you need to know what your doing on the EM6900/\/EM6910 *... *(I have done this)

What colour if your group seal?? *If it is black, give Sunbeam a call and ask if theyll send you out a Blue Seal (it is stronger).. once you get the seal, do the showerscreen clean...

Problem is, when you remove the showerscreen, you need to be careful NOT to destroy the group seal... and the sunbean has 2 showerscreen.. one underneath the main one you see (and clean)... best this is to contact Sunbeam and they may email you instructions on how to do this....

Marc

I can confirm that on the 6910 the showerscreen comes of easy, just tried it.
    How about the second showerscreen Marc, I have a 6910 with blue seal.
    Have you had the second screen of? If so can you please give me instructions how to do this?
    Thanks
    Dick

dickwyn, you need a 10mm socket and undo the nut... be careful not to lose any of the valve bits....Remember, you do this at your own risk... you could void the warrantee.... check with Sunbeam and ask them if it is ok...

All EM6910s have the blue seal.... but the thread topic was EM6900 specific and the early release EM6900 had the black seal...

Thanks Marc, Ill wait for now.
    D

I have done it using the instructions Marc sent me and it was easy with a bit of concentration

EM6910 v Silvia v the world!

Reporting in as promised. *I got some fresh Merlo coffee today - first chance to get some since delivery of the new machine and I have not had time to home roast. *Ground with the rocky on the usual setting for the Merlo, dosed tamped (any day my GP tamper will be in!) and went for it. *Stuck the stop watch on and it was 26 second from start of pour to auto-stop on the double setting with double basket. *I knew as soon as it started that it would be great. *Tiger stripes and all. *I repeated. *I reckon this machine has more grunt than the EM6900 I had and does good and consistent volume from start to finish. *It steams like a bandit also - I will time it and post the results.

This is another example of coffee quality - until now I have had to use, yes I cant believe it, Lavatsa supermarket beans (whole) (and 1.5 times dearer than Merlos fresh stuff) - and the quality of the poor and crema was pretty ordinary - just dull.

Cheers :)

Re: EM6910

yes...I have an em6910...but have not had a chance to pull a shot on it...i did however pull it out of the box to steam a small jug of milk and produced some awesome microfoam....steam is a bit on the weak side....a tad weaker than the silvia....but then again i only turned the machine on for a few minutes before the "Ready" light said all systems go.....normally i would let it warm up and come to temp...but just wanted some milk for a hot choc.

really looking forward to mucking around with it soon...i work as a barista 6 days a week mon through to sat....so very busy....and i cant be bothered lugging out my cimbali cadet....waiting on the mazzer from veneziano...which will now be some time in january says luca....

Excellent!
    I cannot wait to see what an actual full time barista will say about the Sunbeam.
    Keep us posted, Wushoes, will ya?

photos

single shot this time around phots

more

last

Looks good, mate.
    It is good that the 6910 comes with a single spout as well as a double spout pf. Wish mine did. :(

mate - because mine is a replacment for the EM6900 I ended up with another portafilter, another double spout, a single spout and a new big jug!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Monti link=1166787529/0#7 date=1166855967
    Looks good, mate.
    It is good that the 6910 comes with a single spout as well as a double spout pf. Wish mine did. :(
    I went and bought a single spout from http://coffeeparts.com/ for my em6900, works a treat and not expensive.

I dont believe that the Sunbeam PF Handle is a standard group fitting so you would need to get one from sunbeam if you want a second one.

Do sunbeams have normal spout threads? It was a PITA to get the double spout off. Wrapped masking tape around a screwdriver and used it for leverage.

Are there any aftermarket sunbeam steam tips? I dont like the right angles where a wrench would fit to take it off. Lots of milk will will dry there! I already have loosened it off with a wrench so I can clean it.

Pretty busy these days with work and Xmas and all....but hopefully will get to play with it on Boxing Day as I have it off....yay!

Keep you guys posted.

I can say that the pouring spout thread appears to be standard as I have changed mine to a single spout, However I cannot enlighten anyone on the the steam tip. If the Tip isnt standard maybe the whole wand could be replaced.

Nice shots (both types) Ozscott...

You will notice that the PF fits tighter as well...

This machine pulls a great espresso...

You really need to get into roasting, you will no longer be at the mercy of Stale Supermarket rubbish..... :)
    Cheers, and Merry Christmas :)

I just pulled a Xmas shot from home roasted Panama Special A and Panama Panamanian that I roasted about 35 hours ago. The cream was insane and the taste was mild and excellent.

Have a good Christmas and may you have rich shots.

Cheers

Thats the one shot mate - I only took one series of photos.

Cheers

This is the home roast shot - tasted great and pulled like a dream.

With that glass, if it werent for the dark liquid down the bottom, anyone would swear youve got a domestic whisky still happening!!

Cheers!

--Robusto

....hehe...it came free with a bottle of Chivas about 10 years ago!

its much tighter Marc.. very positive and solid

Had a chance to muck around with the em6910 last night..sorry no pics.

First impressions: Silvia killer =]. Qualified to say so? Maybe. I have owned one, work as full time barista and demand perfection. The drip tray is something Rancilio Silvia can learn from. Emptying it was a breeze! No need to temp/time surf. No need to wait for boiler to recover for steaming milk....and by then the crema would have dissipated leaving u not much to work with for latte art. All of the above points on the Silvia was a major PITA for me as I am used to commercial machinery. SPEED SPEED SPEED.

Dialed it in with some almost stale beans on my Cadet. Perfect extractions.....it seems to me the best extractions are in the mid dark brown area and not the wide light tan area of the extraction gauge.

Sunbeam has seemed to address all the problems that has haunted the 6900. I myself have never owned a 6900 (thank god?) but have had a Silvia.

For its price range, screw Silvia (unless youre an espresso only person) and go the Sunbeam. By the way I do drink short drinks.....but mainly a short macchiato and when milk is introduced, the differences in taste is undetectable and muted to me.

I had a few niggles with the machine....more details to come later....I have to run

Okay I now have a chance to continue my post from above.

First off, Id like to say the group is really really high....you can dose this thing and tamp seriously like 2 or 3mm from the top of the basket and just get an imprint of the screen. You really need to overdose this machine to get results. Underdose by a fraction and youll get very soggy biscuits!

One thing I found annoying was the fact that the PF handle can spin around on itself, rather than being rigidly screwed in like many other commercial PFs. The PF is also made from steel, so the heat retention isnt that good. Leave it out of the group for a few minutes and youll need to run some hot water through it to get it back up to temp.

Just a tip for those wanting to get the double spout off.....wrap masking tape around a screwdriver then use it for leverage to get the thing off....dont use dowel like the manual suggests. Much easier with a screwdriver.

Last night I threw my LM double basket in to the PF and couldnt get it back out! The spring is a higher gauge than most commercial springs....I suggest you replace it with a thinner one if youre going to be backflushing or using non-stock baskets. Its a nightmare getting non-sunbeam baskets out. I cut my finger doing it! :(

Im glad to see sunbeam have put in a non crappy plastic tamper that is actually 58mm in diameter. I never used it though....good ol CoffeeLab! Except the sunbeam baskets seem a touch wider than 58mm. My trusty digital vernier calipers says the double is 58.6mm in diameter and my single 58.9mm. The Sunbeam baskets are virtually ridgeless. They knockout very cleanly unlike my LM which collects crud in its ridge.

More playing around tonight!

Mate - what do you mean about the PF handle spinning around - my two dont do it.

Also the Sunbeam baskets get easier to remove after some use - but are still tight enough to be servicable.

I have no problems at all using the non-stock standard size baskets that I purchased from Barazi just of Beaudesert Rd. I actuall sent those to Greg Pullman for a custom tamper to fit the double in particular, because I dont like the mm or so gap with the Sunbeam one.

The PF is heavy even though its steel. I leave mine just in the head so it get nice and hot - the group head itself gets very hot compared to my earlier EM6900 - there is no comparrison in heat; even at the warming plate (which is a very good size).

Cheers
    Cheers

Ive just bought a shiny new EM6900 today in the Boxing Day Sales. Imagine my frustration when after setting it all up on the bench & avidly following the "before your first coffee" procedure - the machine never got hot enough to flush the water through it. The lights just keep on flashing and the machine gets pretty hot up top but apparently not hot enough. I read elsewhere in the thread that these are supposed to heat up after 5 mins or so, so I guess an hour is way too long :-D

Gee it looks nice on the benchtop - I"m admiring it now, as I sip my Moccona ;-(

Can anyone out there suggest what Im doing wrong? (apart from sipping instant).

TC

Quote Originally Posted by lckevin link=1166175758/0#11 date=1167129993
    Ive just bought a shiny new EM6900 today in the Boxing Day Sales. *Imagine my frustration when after setting it all up on the bench & avidly following the "before your first coffee" procedure - the machine never got hot enough to flush the water through it. *The lights just keep on flashing and the machine gets pretty hot up top but apparently not hot enough. *I read elsewhere in the thread that these are supposed to heat up after 5 mins or so, so I guess an hour is way too long :-D *

Gee it looks nice on the benchtop - I"m admiring it now, as I sip my Moccona ;-(

Can anyone out there suggest what Im doing wrong? (apart from sipping instant).
    Welcome to the the world of Coffeesnobs Lou ;)

I suggest that what you are doing wrong is that you blew your bucks on a piece of unreliable junk. Get a full refund and get something more reliable. It looks like the 6910 may be ok...When it comes to the 6900, there are more tales of heartbreak than happiness...

Take it back tomorrow. Regardless of what you paid, you were ripped off..

2mcm

When you first turn it on for the very first time you shouldnt need to wait for it to heat up. There is a button combination to start priming the machine. I cant remember what they are just at the moment but they should be mentioned in the primeing section. You then need to run a full tank of water through before using it.

You dont mention whether you succesfully primed the machine

I take that PF handle spining around thing back....it wasnt screwed in to the PF head properly :P

Played with it some more tonight....lets talk about steaming ability.

Firstly, we have the ability to choose dryness or wetness of steam by the programming interface...a nifty feature. The texture of milk I was able to get was on par with Silvia. However it is no match for Silvias boiler.

I played around with some of the programming features tonight, such as steaming dryness (as alluded to earlier), as well as volumetric programming. Very easy to do! All you have to do is RTFM =]

I am still getting used to steaming milk....below is a small collage of photos from tonight

1-3: single pours
    4: shot
    5: shower screen impression on biscuit when overdosed
    6: knocked out single spout biscuit
    7: shiny milk on em6910...not my best latte art :P

PS: sorry about the quality of the photos. it was taken with a nokia phone! the pictures do not properly represent the true colour of the crema in the pours. They were very rich with lots of tiger striping during the pours and mottling and flecks in the actual shot.

read my em6910 review.....get a refund and spend some more money on the 6910....it is beautiful to work with.

i once had a silvia and now I have the sunbeam....i choose sunbeam over silvia anyday.

Wu - I have played around only a little with the steam dryness program and have re-set it to standard but have dropped the steam temp by 5 degrees to allow me more time to texture; seems to work well on my drop of choice which is long life sogood soy. What did you come up with?

I prefer a boiler to. I have a sunbeam ristretto and its boiler is about the size of the Silvia and goes like the clappers. However, when I pull a shot with the Ristretto I then have to wait a minute or so for the boiler to heat up for the steam function...I assume that Silvia is the same and as such it seems to me that whilst the shot is being extracted the milk is being worked on the EM and you get a significant head start on the stretching - and as such it would work out about the same....is this a fair summary given that you own both?

Thanks guys - well it was a great buy I thought at $405 but not if it doesnt work!! The help line diagnosed the problem as a faulty circuit board wanting 3 weeks to be repaired. Ive called in to Myers and they will be either (1) shipping another unit from a store elsewhere in Oz (there arent any units left in the ACT) or (2) upgrading me to a 6910.

So, heres hoping that there arent any 6900s left in Myer NSW stores. $405 for a 6910 would be an excellent value purchase...with the money saved I could maybe pick up a grinder... Thanks for your advice, Ill let you know how it turns out.

my EM6900 was fine. It was a later model red one. I sent it back however for the steam to be turned up if possible and ended up being sent a stainless steel EM6910 - which is better, but the old one was fine. I reckon that you cannot go past the 6910. It is a very solid bit of kit at some 14 kilos dry. But the later 6900 should be solid also. Mine was and it seems that there are plenty of people who are happy.

I dont buy the idea that just because other machines are made in Italy (or Spain) that that makes them better than Chinese built machines. For an example look at Greg Pullmans post about the swarf or other buildup in the Silvia. I have said it elsewhere in another post, but Sunbeam are selling truck loads of these things -they are walking out the door - compared to Rancilios etc and as such there will be a percentage (like any machine) that have problems, its just that 2 per cent (picking a figure) of 10,000 throws up more problems posted on the site than 2% of 1000.

And..you cannot go past the Sunbeam, Australian based, warranty.

Dont get me wrong. If I wanted to get bigger later I would ring someone like 2MCM and go for an expobar or similar, but for this part of my coffee life I simply cannot see better value around than the EM6910.

Cheers

Cheers

I have a family member who has a sunbeam and they love theirs, they have had no issues with it and are very pleased with it.

It all comes down to your budget, I was fortunate enough in that I had the $$$ to buy my Gaggia at around $600, I also had my heart set on the gaggia machine. I was however, looking at the sunbeam too, it was just that I had the extra money to buy the Italian machine and I got it for a good price.

I am of the opinion that you can get good coffee out of a basic machine if you can get good quality coffee and a decent grinder. I got great coffee out of my old phillips espesso duo and hand grinder, not as good as I get from my gaggia machine and grinder, but it was better than any other alternatives.

When you are first starting out, there is nothing wrong with starting on a basic model, after all, when driving cars and riding motorcycles we start with the smaller, basic models and work our way up to the better models, we also learn a lot more about driving the machine too. It also helps you to appreciate the rolls royce when you get it.

Hate to be an iconoclastic spoilsport, but sales volumes in shops which are not coffee machine specialists is not necessarily a yardstick of quality.

I read some time ago that the biggest-selling appliance in Myer is the coffee machine.

Now, this is from a department store where:

-Their semi-automatic range stops at the Gaggia. The next costliest are the fully automatic.

-if you mention Rancilio to the sales assistants they look at you blank. Ditto if you ask for coffee cleaner.

-they tell you the reason why one machine costs more than an identical-looking one is that one is plastic, the other metal. Otherwise they both make an identical coffee. .

You can deduce from all this what the organisation knows about coffee and coffee machines, and what sort of clients buy them.

Sunbeam might be selling truck loads, but so is Myer selling truckloads of of stuff in the $100 - $500 mark, and then the $1100 -$2500 fully automatic range.

-Robusto

My point about selling truckloads is simply that statistically you would therefore expect more numbers of people complaining - 2% of 10000 EMs as opposed to 2% of 1000 Silvias in a year - just an example - means many more people complaining about the EM.

I dont for a moment suggest that high selling volume points to them being good and I agree about the Myer sales knowledge. I like the EMs because they make great coffee and dont cost the earth and have very good after sales service.

Cheers

Sunbeam EM6900

Greetings fellow Snoberians!
    I just became a Green Bean and Im thinking of buying one of the Sunbeam Cafe Series EM6900s or that other EM6-something-10. Can anyone tell me how well they make espresso and steam milk? Do they really do both at the same time? *:-/
    I would welcome your reviews.
    Cheers!

Re: Sunbeam EM6900

This topic already exists...http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1166175758

Welcome to Coffeesnobs. We usually like it if you can search on your question before you post! ;)

Gee, u really are snobs, arent you? ::)
    Ok, Ill search next time. I was too eager to make my very first post of my own. Slapped on the wrist already. Put in me place. Cut down to size! Oh, cruel world, where is the humanity?!!***sob, sob*** :(

Go the EM6910 - you can do flash things like up the brew head temp by 2 degrees per setting and play with steam pump. The natural competitor is the Rancilio Silvia, however you might have to factor in a PID kit (as per the site sponsor) because temp surfing seems, from what I have read only, to be required for consistency (Alan Frew says otherwise from memory). I venture to say that the EM would be better for multiple milk coffees because of its ability to steam consistantly and simultaneously with pulling shots and the thing just keeps banging out the shots and steam till you tell it not to. The early versions of the EM6900 were probably released before they had tested it thoroughly however I never had any drama with mine - the steam power on the 6910 does seem a little better though, but its really the heat coming out of the head thats the big difference - it is very hot for that type of head.

The sponsors sell great kit; they dont however sell the Sunbeam and perhaps given the price and cost at which the mass stores can sell them for (because they buy in bulk and these things run out in such locations) they might not chose to do so in future, even if they are satisfied with the Sunbeams reliability - but they will tell us I guess.

Cheers and welcome.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast