Thread: Bottomless Silvia

Bottomless Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Bottomless Silvia - kinky? Well, no. But I just got my bottomless PF. Things just keep on getting better. I had a laugh.

And I discovered a side effect: I can now easily fit my stainless mug under the bottomless PF for a mugacino.

Observing the coffee espressing with the marbled crema is just beautiful. ;D - and the taste isnt bad either.

Re: Bottomless Silvia

yea I got mine the other day too and discovered the same. :)

Im really getting the irits with mine. I keep getting big spritzes of espresso that shoot all over the place. Looks like I need to go back to school re tamping technique. >:( Im wondering if I should check the pressure at the PF in case my Silvia is pumping out at too high a pressure.

Matt G, that sounds very much like channelling.

That being the case, the portafilter is doing what it should be doing, and highlighting problems with tamping etc.

--Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G link=1169901431/0#2 date=1169973012
    Im wondering if I should check the pressure at the PF in case my Silvia is pumping out at too high a pressure.
    Matt,

Even if the pressure was a bit high, that wouldnt be causing the spritzes - as Robusto said above, thats channelling...

So more work on tamping Im afraid :(

Im sure that many users of sivias, sunbeams and every other machine would get the same shock if they tried a bottomless PF. Most think that because they have lots of crema all is good. But those little spritzes act like crema enhancers- producing more, but "false" crema which is lighter in colour and fades more quickly--- just like that from pressurised baskets.

Ive found when I get the tamp "just right" the crema is darker, richer, sweeter and a bit less in volume (e.g. after switching to a Greg Pullman tamper) for the same extraction volume and time.

Sounds like the same mess I got on the first "few" shots with my bottomless PF.

Not so bad now.
    Ive even put it away for a while now that Im happy with the recent results.

Hmm, figured as much!

Well Ive got the right tamper equipment so Ill have to fix my grind and tamping method. I read up on the Weiss distribution method a little while ago so I might start there.

Meanwhile Ill have to duck and weave the little streams of espresso.

Matt

Is your Rocky the doser or doserless model?.... The doser on the La Cimbali does a great job of breaking up the clumps and also gives an even distribution.... as long as you dose through the doser - which I do.

The Weiss method, although a bit of a pain, would certainly overcome any clumping issues.

I have to say, I love my bottomless PF - its frustrating that immediate feedback ... you think you have done a great tamp .... only to find out its all wrong - it amazes me how quick you can tell!

pardon my ignorance but what is a bottomless PF?

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1169901431/0#7 date=1169982209
    Matt

Is your Rocky the doser or doserless model?.... The doser on the La Cimbali does a great job of breaking up the clumps and also gives an even distribution.... as long as you dose through the doser - which I do.

The Weiss method, although a bit of a pain, would certainly overcome any clumping issues.
    Ive got the doserless model, but usually give the grinds a bit of a stir with the end of the milk thermometer in the PF before tamping. Which is why Im a little surprised with the amount of channeling Im getting.

You might want to try something somewhat finer than a thermometer. Something that dislodges the clumps without upsetting the distribution of the grinds.

I use the very versatile straightened paper clip, zig-zagging it throughout the basket.

--Robusto

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G link=1169901431/0#11 date=1170022561
    Ive got the doserless model, but usually give the grinds a bit of a stir with the end of the milk thermometer in the PF before tamping.
    Ive got the D/L Rocky too but instead of grinding straight into the PF Basket, I grind into a plastic 1/3 Cup Measuring Cup first (sits under the discharge spout perfectly) and then dose the PF Basket from that. Only takes a couple of seconds longer, if that, and the act of transferring the freshly ground coffee this way breaks up any clumps that may have been there.

Mal.

Top Idea Mal. Its good because the exchange into the plastic cup disrupts the static electricity which causes the clumping and because it frees up your hands, a naked PF wont sit by itself in a Rock doserless.
    ;)
    BOris

Quote Originally Posted by Boris link=1169901431/0#14 date=1170474394
    Top Idea Mal. Its good because the exchange into the plastic cup disrupts the static electricity which causes the clumping and because it frees up your hands, a naked PF wont sit by itself in a Rock doserless.
    ;)
    BOris
    Well yes, there are those added benefits too ;D.... So used to doing it this way I forgot about em ;)

Mal.

Success at last!

Today I witnessed two glorious pours from my naked PF 8-), seemingly perfect in every way. Started dark then turned into beautiful tiger striping with a nice syrup like consistency. No spritzes to be seen! I used the Weiss method and cut the arse out of a takeaway coffee cup which fit perfectly inside the LM basket. Ground into the PF and gave it bit of a stir with a mini egg beater.

After I removed the cup from the PF and smoothed the grounds with my finger I could instantly feel the different (more uniform?) lighter consistency of the grind. It seemed much softer to the touch and moved much more freely. Definitely no clumping. It also seemed easier to tamp for some reason. I usually need to have a few goes at getting the right amount of coffee in the PF. Usually after tamping the top of the puck is too low so I have to add some more and tamp again. Both times the top of the puck was at the right height first go.

Tasted bloody good too. SO definitely gave me a your a weirdo look as I started yelling with excitement and rubbing my hands as the pour started. I think I would best describe it as a religous experience. Ill try to get a piccy tomorrow. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G link=1169901431/15#16 date=1170498670
    I think I would best describe it as a religious experience.
    Congratulations Matt,

Dare I say it..... It must have been a God Shot ;D

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1169901431/15#17 date=1170517178
    Congratulations Matt,

Dare I say it..... It must have been a God Shot ;D

Mal.
    Unfortunately all that espresso goodness ends up under some frothy milk so I guess Ill never know *;D *Here are some pics..